Ion to answer "hard" questions on reddit

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 18 Next
09/13/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Solarwynds
09/13/2018 04:11 PMPosted by Scáthbás
All I want to hear from blizzard is Ion is no longer with the company and Alex Afrasiabi is the new game director

Since you had to go there, I will go here:
Wanting someone to lose their job over a game is mean-spirited.

I don't think Ion should be fired or anyone else. I don't think there has been irreparable harm done to the WoW franchise. There are some elements of BfA I enjoy, in my own little way. I just think there is some confusion and lack of communication going on. Some stuff definitely needs fixing but the customer/designer conversation needs to begin now.

But I cannot for the life of me think of a worse place to have that conversation than Reddit.
09/13/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Malboji
Reddit is a terrible place to have a reasonable conversation. It's the definition of an echo chamber.
god yes. Ive had to made like 26 reddit accounts now to dodge perma bans.

Luckily it takes all of 5 minutes but still.
Wonder how much xanax he'll be taking in advance of this one.
Expect more spin than substance
09/13/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Neoforce
god yes. Ive had to made like 26 reddit accounts now to dodge perma bans.

I feel like that says a lot more about you than it does about reddit.
09/13/2018 02:36 PMPosted by Mordeth
09/13/2018 02:30 PMPosted by Ythisens
We haven't deleted any comments here.

I answered that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9fk8a2/ama_announcement_developer_ama_with_ion/e5x310p/

For those that don't want to use Reddit:
"Essentially we'd prefer if an AMA live organically. We're guests on this platform and in this community. You run it, you decide what content you upvote or downvote. We think a force sticky doesn't abide by how Reddit itself functions and we shouldn't be an exception to that.

Also most typical users and guests browse over the stickied posts even though its at the top. Sorry admins :P I promise I read them though."

If you guys would like you're more than welcome to create a post that amalgamates all the questions and answers, or if you'd like I can even try to do that for those that prefer to only use the forums so it can still be read here.

Not really. We read Reddit a lot yes but we spend far more time looking at forums posts. Reddit is mainly memes, which we also love but they do have interesting feedback/callouts. Still doesn't detract from how much we use the forums though.

Reddit as a platform is far easier to do something like this in, it allows conversations to take place within a conversation due to multiple threads spanning off of one comment. On here, or any traditional forum really, its a jumbled mess.

The proper way to do this would be to setup a live feed on twitch with a link in the reddit thread and have the moderators on reddit delete anything not a question while Ion cherry picks the questions he wants to answer. This way you have questions all lined up on reddit but we don't have to wait for Ion to look up the proper PR comment in the Blizzard intranet to be posted on reddit.

You do realize that every single Q&A since "You think you do, but you don't" has been an absolute joke with no real answers actually given to real questions right? Q&As are treated just like y'all treat the forums. You answer !@#$%^- questions and ignore the real ones. You have dug your own hole and this is only going to dig it deeper. Ion will either get destroyed being honest or give the typical PR answers everybody expects. There is no good for Blizzard in any fashion here.

The way to negate this is to actually communicate with your player base and listen to your player base instead of thinking you know it all when it's clear that you know nothing considering the backlash you are receiving about BfA. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it rivals WoD as far as that goes. I wish y'all would learn but you keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. It's sad really.

I personally find the Q&As to be informative.

Also I generally end up spending the next month saying look at this Q&A or lift your eyes and scroll up and see the permanent post on the top of the forums to forum peeps.
09/13/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Scáthbás
09/13/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Kòsh
I think this is a very good move by Ion and I completely appreciate it.

There is simply no way he can answer all of our questions or make everyone happy. We as the community have asked for more communication and now we are getting it. It might not be in the format or quantity we had hoped for, but it is a good thing to have this.

Give Ion and team a chance to answer the questions, and perhaps to head in a better direction on the concerns we all have.

I mean, seems pretty reasonable to me. I hope I can find time tomorrow to participate.
Oh I am sure this is not being done by Ions request. Someone higher up has told him he better get his sorry !@#$ out there and do some damage control pronto. We will probably see a flurry of activity now since I have a feeling that things at blizzard have hit critical mass. I think there is a lot of bad feelings between devs , and I think Upper management is not very happy at all. Heads are going to roll

Yeah, this obviously wasn't planned far in advance like Q&As are or other standard interviews. This screams "damage control". As to the actual severity...well, only Blizzard really knows the true extent. But judging from the forums, the normally loyal reddit, youtubers and other 3rd party sites it's not looking too good for them.
09/13/2018 04:37 PMPosted by Nillah
09/13/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Marystuart
Ah I see. Reddit is it? Here's the first thing I saw when I googled reddit and clicked on the top link . . .

Why don't we just save you some time, then. https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/

And I could have saved YOU some time by telling you not to bother.
09/13/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Marystuart
09/13/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Solarwynds

Since you had to go there, I will go here:
Wanting someone to lose their job over a game is mean-spirited.

I don't think Ion should be fired or anyone else. I don't think there has been irreparable harm done to the WoW franchise. There are some elements of BfA I enjoy, in my own little way. I just think there is some confusion and lack of communication going on. Some stuff definitely needs fixing but the customer/designer conversation needs to begin now.

But I cannot for the life of me think of a worse place to have that conversation than Reddit.

Ion should have been fired during WOD when he cost blizzard over 5 million sub loss in the shortest time possible. Then double downed on his nonsense in legion and now BFA
09/13/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Tiresias
But if you still must hope remember this.

"Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst"

This way you can be pleasantly surprised by the good things and not too disappointed by the bad.

Sounds very reasonable to me. :)
09/13/2018 03:13 PMPosted by Solarwynds
Preapproved "hard" questions..........

I don't use reddit. My impression is we ask they answer in real time. Am I wrong?

No, you've got it on the nose.

I looked at the reddit and one of the moderators for the subforum is asking people to be succinct (apparently in another AMA someone posted a 15-paragraphs comment with questions scattered with in it), and mentioned that they are going to be bringing down the moderation mallet more harshly for this one.
This way you can be pleasantly surprised by the good things and not too disappointed by the bad.
Hope? Yeah, I kinda just stopped giving the blue's any type of leniency after these little comments:

"The horde is waiting for you"
"You think you do, but you don't"
-Ion Hazzikostas.[/quote]

I find hope more pleasant than bitterness but to each his own.
09/13/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Solarwynds
09/13/2018 03:53 PMPosted by Petaldance
Then they can venture out to places that throw kiddie parties for them and allow them control.

I am certain that you can not be trying to say that Blizzard answers to the forums and then they can go somewhere that they can actually exercise control... right?

Am I misunderstanding you?[/quote]

After reading some of your comments in other threads, I am politely going to decline dancing with you. I am sure you will take this post out of context as will to suit your purpose.

4chan.
09/13/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Marystuart
09/13/2018 04:37 PMPosted by Nillah
Why don't we just save you some time, then. https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/

And I could have saved YOU some time by telling you not to bother.

Then why didn't you. Duh.
09/13/2018 04:05 PMPosted by Gannon
Then perhaps it's time to upgrade your own? It boggles my mind to see a blue say something like this. Basically your saying, "Ya, their platform for communicating is better than ours so we hang out there".
That thought crossed my mind. I thought they were going to be upgrading these forums, I'm not sure what the status of that project is. The funny thing is that Twitter and Reddit are far more toxic than these forums ever were, I'm a little confused about the stated reasons.

This is very much still in the works. Even though new forums are coming soon™ these new ones still wouldn't be able to accommodate this specific style. There are merits to both styles of forums, for WoW specifically I think this style is better. Considering we at most do an AMA there once a year or expansion almost, I don't think adopting that style is worth it for that convenience once a year. We can still just choose to format the questions and answers and repost here for you guys since its understandable that some folks don't like Reddit or Twitter. I'd rather accommodate than force people to use a platform they don't like honestly and bring that content to them.
09/13/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Scáthbás
Ion should have been fired during WOD when he cost blizzard over 5 million sub loss in the shortest time possible. Then double downed on his nonsense in legion and now BFA

Listen, I'm pretty tired of people spreading this misinformation. Ion didn't get promoted to his current position until late 2016. He was not in charge during WoD. Stop saying that he was.
09/13/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Idun

4chan.

And there it is, didn't take long.
09/13/2018 01:47 PMPosted by Hellasha
No matter what questions get answered, i'm sure you will be here along with the other QQsquad members QQing like always.

If you have questions to ask, leave out the useless fluff. Don't ask trick or loaded questions. Be respectful, and remember you don't speak for anyone other then yourself. Leave the hyperbole, (and fallacies in general), out of the question.

You don't know what everyone wants, you don't know what everyone thinks, you do not represent the playerbase (No one on GD does). If your question doesn't get answered don't throw a temper tantrum or claim that they didn't answer important questions. If it's getting asked then it means someone somewhere felt the question was important.

Why hello, shill!

Guess what, 16K posts shilling for Blizz, we can see your post history, you know.

Your definition of trick or loaded question is anything that isn't absolute and total praise, everyone can see from your other posts.

Please continue with your job, I hope you at least are getting decent pay for it.
09/13/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Scáthbás

Listen, I'm pretty tired of people spreading misinformation. Ion didn't get promoted to his current position until late 2016. He was not in charge during WoD. Stop saying that he was.

I don't like the guy at all, but even I can't blame him for WoD, nor should I. He was just the face everyone could blame. Now though...yeah, let's just say the tables have turned.