The Ion Paradox

General Discussion
"We want to give you meaningful choices" = "Item level should always be an upgrade"
ion is clueless af
great post guys

a real gem of a contribution
09/17/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Mvura
great post guys

5 starz out of 4
He's right with the ilvl thing though. Needing a simulation program to know which belt is better to use with the rest of all the armor you gathered doesn't equal meaningful it's just an overly complicated task for something that should be simple. Improvement. Thus bad design.
09/17/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Averyx
He's right with the ilvl thing though. Needing a simulation program to know which belt is better to use with the rest of all the armor you gathered doesn't equal meaningful it's just an overly complicated task for something that should be simple. Improvement. Thus bad design.

why do you need sims to do well? how about you let other people sim and tell you what is good and then you just mimic them the best you can because its easy. or use one of the addons that auto sims for you and tells you "hey, this is an upgrade... use it or your bad" when you scroll over the item

Lets wait and see if they change it! lol

He's right, but also not doing anything to fix it.
All current content time gated, all future content time gated, progression time gated they even managed to time gate factions now. He said is was a team of people who decides these things and work in different groups, well if you are director, please tell them to STOP.
the only way they can fix the ilvl not being an upgrade on regular items is to make it so that we dont have much secondary stats on them. because of how valuable those secondary stats are the gain of a main stat sometimes isnt enough to make an item worth it and is only going to get worse as the expansion goes on (as it has for almost every expansion)

but even if the value of secondary stats was lower, at some point after gaining an amount of primary stat, those secondary stats begin to rise in how much they do for you faster than main stat and will always reach a point where they are worth more than main stat, the only true fix would to just give you flat amounts of str, agi, or int on gear (it would make you sad to not see crits or cast faster because everybody already complained about how they felt less OP when leveling did this to them)

summary, stats matter, cannot fix w/o boring changes, aka cannot be 100% fixed
He is full of !@#$. When one of the answers was "The only metric we care about as a development team is whether you're having fun." was said I knew they were full of %^-*. ANYTHING remotely fun gets pushed aside or nerfed into oblivion.
This world is an illusion Exile
This idiocy of hitting max level and mobs STILL scaling with you is borderline offensive. Just set a hard cap. 345 ilevel maximum. Once there, NOTHING should scale with you except for maybe world bosses.

great post guys

I see you're still gunning for crepe's title as dirtiest-nosed sycophant on the forums. Don't worry, you'll get there.
What confused me in the lead up to BFA was Azerite armor lacking secondary stats.

Like, throughout Legion we heard the tag line " We want secondary stats to matter" and then in the next expansion we find out effectively 4/15 (near 1/3) of slots don't get secondary stats anymore...
Ion: "We don't want players picking sub-optimal loot is all."
Conquest system: "Oh, a feral/guardian druid? Have an int dagger."
09/17/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Tékota
This idiocy of hitting max level and mobs STILL scaling with you is borderline offensive. Just set a hard cap. 345 ilevel maximum. Once there, NOTHING should scale with you except for maybe world bosses.

People are still crying about this non-issue?
great post guys

What else is there to say about the item level thing though?

He claimed they wanted to make item level upgrades feel like upgrades in more cases. Azerite armor didn't hit that mark.

Do we really need a 5 paragraph essay on it? Speaking as someone who has left 5 paragraph essays galore in the Items and Classes Feedback forum.
09/17/2018 10:23 AMPosted by Hermestical
"We want to give you meaningful choices" = "Item level should always be an upgrade"

Wait.

Are you complaining that ilvl items should *not* be an upgrade?

I swear.

The forum riots when they get a 370 piece that is worse than a 340.

Now we are mad if the 370 is better.
If you only have stamina/int-agi-str on the items, then ilvl will always be an upgrade. When you put more stats (and wow has prunned a lot), there will always be an "what if" situation.

Odly, I think this was one of the answers that made most sense on the whole AMA.

If you want to min-max, you sim every upgrade. But, if you don't sim anything and just upgrade by ilvl, you still can play the game on a semi-decent level.

See, I only have time to research ONE game, and this game is wow. When I play D3, I fly pretty blind on stats, knowing nothing but the main stats and if it adds damage and health to my char. And I'm still able to have fun.

I'd say someone who knows the priority stats for their char and only that, are safe enough to play without simming. They will make *some* wrong choices, but will build a decently tuned gear.

I've seen both statements in context, and I don't think they are mutually exclusive, tbh.

And it does not mean I approve every single step the game has taken, nor I don't feel a nice xpac could be a bit delayed (yet, then, it's september and we'd be mad to be doing antorus).
Choosing a new piece of gear because it has a higher item level is technically meaningful. #lawyered