How to fix the Tank Shortage

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 14 Next
The Tank shortage is caused by bad DPS players. Most guilds have several tanks and they are always running something. They Run with guild mates because PUGs are horrible to them. Dps just focus on big numbers and dont interrupt anything. Also If you try to CC because you know its a big pull, they AOE or tab target and pull more adds. Tanking for LFR or LFD is a joke. Its nothing but abuse and DPS trying to pull the entire dungeon at once. We get it, you sat in Queue for awhile and now you want to get the dungeon done as quickly as possible. But if you abuse your tank you risk taking one more Tank out of the pool of people willing to Tank a PUG. I Run with my Guildmates, Real-id friends and thats it. There are tons of tanks, just not alot of tanks that want to run with you. If you dont have a Friend or a guildie that is willing to tank for you. Then maybe take a look at how YOU act in a Dungeon.
make tanking fun. seriously tanking is really boring (and really stressful in M+)
I had a tank pet.... Blizz broke him by making him cunning pet instead. Guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Oh well was fun while it lasted.
I'm not sure what it is about tanking that has changed, but I just don't enjoy it anymore. I tanked for a lot of TBC, Wrath, all of Cata, and MoP and after that it just kind of lost it's charm for me.

I think part of the fun for me was the post-loot modifications, stacking stamina or having to worry about being def capped. Or even way back in the day where Prot Pally had a very specific role, and had to stack some spell power. It was fun. With less choices, it just lost its appeal for me. I'm trying to get back into it now, we'll see how that goes.
Some days I feel like the only Shaman that does not want a tanking spec.,Some days I feel like the only Shaman that does not want a tanking spec.
Give tanks the "Kick" button that only they have access to so they can kick the *****
If I could tank using my pet instead of myself. I would be all for it. I love pet tanking. I hate tanking myself.
09/19/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Ethearia
And what is so scary about pugging? I'm not a bad player and I pug all the time. It isn't always ideal but I get through just about everything okay.

Imagine you're a new tank. You've done some regular mythics, you're feeling comfortable, and you jump into one of the plusses. You pull a pack that can be skipped, because you didn't know it can be skipped. After the pull, one or more of the DPS tells you to kill yourself and learn the damn dungeon dumb@!@#. You get to the boss, but you screw up while trying to manage AM and positioning (hey, you're new at this) and ultimately you get flattened because you forgot a major CD, so the group wipes. Now the healer joins in, tells you what a worthless garbage tank you are, and leaves the party. Now that his key has been wasted, the other guy is really salty and lays some expletives on you before hearthing. How much of that are you gonna take before you give up?

Not everyone has the kind of thick skin this game's community requires to take the literally endless streams of abuse that will be heaped upon you if you run things anything less than perfect. The fact that one of the first pieces of advice every new or prospective tank receives is "try not to let it bother you when party after party craps all over you" should be horrifying to everyone.
09/19/2018 05:34 PMPosted by Shovelgirl
  • Give Hunters a pet-tanking offspec
  • Give Warlocks a pet-tanking offspec
  • Give Shamans a tanking offspec (as was initially intended for Vanilla)
  • Adding Death Knights, Monks, and Demon Hunters didn't change anything. Why would adding more do something?
    i mained a druid tank this expansion, and its just unfun to non grp content with world quests take forever. There will never be a surplus of tanks because of this, healers and dps can pvp but tanks cant outside of some patches which the pvp community will complain and get them fixed. Its just not a good experience overall.
    Terrible idea imo.

And I am happy that this will never change. One thing that should change in order to get people to want to tank more, are people's attitudes. What is the community in whole doing to change and help new tanks?

Having a shaman tank (which is dumb imo sorry) is not going to change the real root of the issue. Want to see change, BE the change.
    09/19/2018 05:34 PMPosted by Shovelgirl
  • Give Hunters a pet-tanking offspec
  • Give Warlocks a pet-tanking offspec
  • Give Shamans a tanking offspec (as was initially intended for Vanilla)

• I like the first two options, but I doubt that it would even make a difference, tanking and healing to some people is just not fun to do.

Lets also not forget the shear amount of crap you get when you play those two roles. That a lone is off-putting to players who wish to avoid dealing with the added ire from fellow players.
    How would making more tanking classes fix the fact that nobody wants to play a tank?

Nobody plays tanks because it’s hard to find a raid spot as tank
    While I would love to tank as a Rogue, I think the real solution is fixing the !@#$ty tank specs (Druid/Warrior/DH) so that people play those specs.
    09/19/2018 08:53 PMPosted by Landerek
    make tanking fun. seriously tanking is really boring (and really stressful in M+)

How?

Tanking needs to be a balance of manoeuvre, knowledge and timing. For those that do it, these things are fun. So how would you make it more fun?

I will agree that tanking in M+ is stressful (though I have not done as much of that as I probably should have to have that opinion). That said, high M+ keys are meant to be stressful; they are a test of your skill as a player, your commitment to learning and mastering some of the toughest content in the game.

What many players really want in a random heroic is an overgeared tank to lead the way through the rungeon so they can collect stuff as they go. That is not fun for a tank, it's kinda boring; the rewards are at best, poor.

Also, buff prot warriors.
    More specs =/= more players.

I've been purely a DPS player since vanilla and just recently decided to lvl a tank.
    I'm not even max lvl and pugging dungeons as a tank is getting boring.
    Not to mention you're constantly trying to mop up other people's mistakes (body pulling, cc breaking, lack of interrupts, etc.)

I really don't know how to make the role more appealing to players. I get why people like healing/supporting a group, but tanking is just so different.
    Maybe if there were some mechanic that buffed you if you use your defensives correctly (other than staying alive) idk
    Adding more tanks never really helped... however when tank specs mechanically felt fun to play, did OP damage and felt powerful. There were more of them.
    Throw balancing to the wind and make em fun again!
    Fixing prot warriors would help a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people haven’t been playing them that usually do just because they’re so !@#$ right now.
    09/19/2018 09:41 PMPosted by Raynnari
    Terrible idea imo.

And I am happy that this will never change. One thing that should change in order to get people to want to tank more, are people's attitudes. What is the community in whole doing to change and help new tanks?

Having a shaman tank (which is dumb imo sorry) is not going to change the real root of the issue. Want to see change, BE the change.

Shaman tanks would be awesome, you heathen. But yes you’re right more tanks won’t fix how stressful it is being a tank compared to dps.