Blizzard message to casuals

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13
09/24/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Mvura
09/24/2018 01:25 AMPosted by Evirquest
Blizzard obviously agrees with you, so good for you, but I'm betting lack of things to do is why subs drastically drop after the first few months of an xpack.

Yeah, this is why we just got a free boat for buying a six month subscription.

The magic of this game comes from its team oriented content because it provides an added layer of social motivation - you'll find the game more interesting because you want to improve yourself to help your team.

People who are primarily solo players will inevitably run out of motivation when the group content kicks in. You'll get bored of the high-access, entry reward content. Unless, of course, they dangle a shiny thing to motivate you. You still won't run any team oriented content, but you may be encouraged to level your 30th alt.

Been playing almost 14 years here. Only break I EVER took was due to burnout from group related content.

Noodling around on solo content 4-6 hours a day keeps me happy and playing.

I pay for transfers, faction changes, boosts, mounts, etc. Not a huge Blizz fanboi as I only play WoW and rarely Diablo (but mainly 2). If WoW shutdown tomorrow, I would go back to EQ Full time and do what I am doing now in WoW.
09/24/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Colîn
Been playing almost 14 years here. Only break I EVER took was due to burnout from group related content.

This is the biggest class of players that filter out of the game after a month or so.

If it keeps you content, more power to you - but many would consider the onset of group content to be their limit.
09/24/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Colîn
09/24/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Mvura

Yeah, this is why we just got a free boat for buying a six month subscription.

The magic of this game comes from its team oriented content because it provides an added layer of social motivation - you'll find the game more interesting because you want to improve yourself to help your team.

People who are primarily solo players will inevitably run out of motivation when the group content kicks in. You'll get bored of the high-access, entry reward content. Unless, of course, they dangle a shiny thing to motivate you. You still won't run any team oriented content, but you may be encouraged to level your 30th alt.

I pay for transfers, faction changes, boosts, mounts, etc. Not a huge Blizz fanboi as I only play WoW and rarely Diablo (but mainly 2). If WoW shutdown tomorrow, I would go back to EQ Full time and do what I am doing now in WoW.

There are signs Diablo 4 could be out...

So there's that. That said amazin eq still gets content.
09/23/2018 02:22 AMPosted by Favi
A casual player would seek to make friends that do or discuss content similar to what they like.
There are a lot of activities other than the typical avenues of raiding and dungeons that are fairly enjoyable over the years.

Lore and explore. Decades of lore and stories still to be written, let your imagination go wild to create a personal story. The description of events and ambiguous timelines let players scribble in the margins based on what they see and their own perspectives.

Writing a novel does not actually count as "playing the game".
You can casually pug heroic uldir
09/22/2018 11:32 PMPosted by Vierd
I feel Blizzard has actually done a pretty good job of offering options for casual players. LFR, Dungeon Finder for Normal and Heroic dungeons, and varying levels of Island Expedition difficulty as well as arena and BG queues for those that want to PvP more casually. These are all options for content that less casual players are doing.

Mythic+ is a great example as well. Maybe you're a skilled player, but don't have time to work at +10s. You can find a suitable difficulty level of dungeon for you and still improve your character's gear.

the mythic part of your stance is about void though.. as I just have come to the point where to finish the story for Jaina.. I MUST complete a mythic dungeon. MYTHIC dungeon.

I don't like dungeons, I barely tolerate the dungeon finder on "easy" mode. Mythic to me is something altogether different. It's a hard requirement for content that should be accessible for all who take the time and effort to work to completion of the storyline.

dungeons used to be "extra" content... now they are "required" fine, whatever on the ones that are done easily in groups.. but MYTHIC is for HARDCORE players as far as I'm concerned.. you know the ones.. the ones that twitch and video stream, the ones that scream at others when they aren't doing their jobs right.

I'm sorry, but I'm not up for that kind of stress, not to mention just getting into one as a dps.. if you're not geared to their specifications, then you're not invited..

Welp, guess I won't be seeing what happens at the siege of boralus until three expacs from now.. if I'm still playing. absolutely ridiculous.
09/22/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Evirquest
End game is not for you. They didn't say this with their lips, but they did with their game design. This is because once a casual content player hits ilvl 340+, they really have no reason to keep playing unless they want to become a non-casual content player, which not everyone wants to do.

Sure you can keep playing pokemon or mog/gold farm or whatever but if you want to keep progressing your character, then too bad. Wishing for titanforges from WQ's, LFR, warfronts, world bosses, and heroics just isn't worth the time.

My solution would be to give us something to grind in casual content that I mentioned above, like badges or something.

Posted this later in the thread, but think it belongs here where it's more visible...

Since everyone opposed seems to think hard content = best gear... and I would say time invested should also = best gear... would you also be opposed to hard solo content rewarding the best gear?

I mean it would still be hard content after all... I mean I probably know that most of you will say yes since it's not multiplayer and this is a multiplayer game even though there's tons of other solo content.

I want to play your game Blizzard, but you're giving me little reason to.

Today was the first day in many months that I did not have an overwhelming desire to login, its usually the first thing I do every morning. I have zero desire to play. Kudos Blizzard.
OK opinions and all. If you played this game when it was released your perspective would be different. Most of what has been done to end game since has been toward giving "casual" players access to more of it.
I am a real casual player but I do not have any issues with the game. I think blizz did a good job so far this expac. I get to play solid 3 hours in total during the week days and on the weekends I raid with my guild Saturday and Sunday night. I think raiding is not even a challenge in the past few expansions. My guild is pretty chill if I can not make it to raid if I am going out on the weekends. I am making nice slow progression as far as gear goes which is good. For people (casuals) who want to raid its not that hard, join a guild that fits your raiding times and is not strict if you cant make it once in awhile.
09/24/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Xavares
OK opinions and all. If you played this game when it was released your perspective would be different. Most of what has been done to end game since has been toward giving "casual" players access to more of it.

Well in the first few expansions, leveling was THE game. I know, I was there. Dungeons and Raids were add ons like PvP for when you were bored. Then that kind of End Game was pushed to be THE GAME and as such, it had to be more accessible.
For the life of me, I can't understand how Mythic+ dungeons isn't considered casual content. It has varying degrees of difficulty, it's a small group size, small time sink, etc. Mythic 0 is about as easy as a heroic. If you can't do a mythic dungeon then your not a "casual" player, you're just objectively bad at the game.

Maybe try reading some guides to improve your game play instead of crying on the forums?
09/24/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Odds
For the life of me, I can't understand how Mythic+ dungeons isn't considered casual content. It has varying degrees of difficulty, it's a small group size, small time sink, etc. Mythic 0 is about as easy as a heroic. If you can't do a mythic dungeon then your not a "casual" player, you're just objectively bad at the game.

Maybe try reading some guides to improve your game play instead of crying on the forums?

Did I say I can't do mythic dungeons? NO. I choose not to progress in them due to the toxic pug environment, and or annoying guild memebers. And it's mostly persistence, not skill, that gives progress in them... and I seem to have to repeat an infinite amount of times that persistence is not equal to skill.