Mythic + Tanks

General Discussion
I'm having a hard time deciding between Prot Pally and Brewmaster
Looking at raider.io, there are more pallys (unless I read it wrong)
I like them pretty much equally
Except raiding wise I like brewmaster

Why arnt there more brewmasters?
They have a ton of tools and utilities
I love RoP

Thanks!
Demon Hunter or DK as of right now.

I don’t know if that gets flipped on it’s side later on as damage/health of mobs scales up in a non linear way.
I would say Brewmaster is 3rd best pick right now, with Prot Paladin #4.
I haven't played either since beta though, but I do follow the scene quite intently.

Brewmaster got a heavily improved utility kit, and some small buffs to their defensive kit that go a long way in M+.
The utility alone is enough to move them up the ladder.

However, Paladin is considerably better as self sustain, and will do more burst DPS thanks to the Shield of the Righteous changes.
This should make them a very capable choice, but two things hold them back heavily in my eyes - their utility and their mobility.
They have the second worst utility in my opinion, and the worth utility.

Their utility is entirely focused around preserving the group, but the changes to Light of the Protector (GCD!) make it considerably more difficult to use on other players, and things like BoP/spellwarding, sac, or freedom require extremely specific situations to be occurring to get any value whatsoever out of.

Pack to pack, any other tank's utility will get FAR more usage, and that keeps me seriously less interested in Paladin tanks than just about any other option, especially when you compare that to just how much DH might bring.

In my opinion, neither of these two will be particularly fun to pug with, but if I had to pick I would choose paladin, just because I find better self healing is always the best thing you can have in pug M+.

Hope this helped!
You'll be perfectly fine as long as you avoid prot warrior like the plague. Seriously, don't do it. Prot warr in mythic+ will make you want to promptly uninstall.
Probably not a lot of brewmasters because people just didn't want to level one all the way up.

Hell, the only reason there are any DH's is because you start at 100.

Thats the main reason I chose this guy over my warrior/dk. They were both lower level, and I already used my boost on a mage, and didn't want to spend 60 bucks to tank when this guy was like 106.

So DH tank I am. I feel Brewmasters have it doubly worse because they start at 1, a monk, and most people just skip over them.

Who knows if i get bored and wanna boost something, I might boost a monk.
09/23/2018 07:45 AMPosted by Strodossis

I love RoP

Thanks!

World first +15 was done by a prot pally. They are considerably stronger than brewmaster in M+ due to self sustain and burst cd to handle large pull. Brewmasters are good in raid but they don't have self healing to be good in M+. The tank balance in M+ is DK > DH >> Pally > Monk >>>>>>>> Druid > Warrior.
09/23/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Jeffdruid
09/23/2018 07:45 AMPosted by Strodossis

I love RoP

Thanks!

World first +15 was done by a prot pally. They are considerably stronger than brewmaster in M+ due to self sustain and burst cd to handle large pull. Brewmasters are good in raid but they don't have self healing to be good in M+. The tank balance in M+ is DK > DH >> Pally > Monk >>>>>>>> Druid > Warrior.

Except Druids arent that bad. Dont try to get on the sinking Prot Warrior ship. Your class just isn't fun, our spec literally sucks.
I have both, and DH tanks are a lot more squishy than Paladins. With the evil affixes we have this week on high keys that survivability really shines through.

Paladin also has a lot more at its disposal to keep other party members alive if something goes wrong.

Want to do a high speed blitz of a lower # key and have a great healer? DH are fantastic for that.
Semi off topic but...
How is DK in raids?
The 1 thing that turned me off DK was how slow the "rotation" is
I imagine in M+ you dont feel that as much
09/23/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Furorem
You'll be perfectly fine as long as you avoid prot warrior like the plague. Seriously, don't do it. Prot warr in mythic+ will make you want to promptly uninstall.

Or never ttank again. I was a main raiding tank in TBC, WoTLK, and Cata.
Took me a month of return to BfA, but ill never tank again