Blizz should add players age to profile

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
09/16/2018 11:29 AMPosted by Uconn
09/16/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Ceratisa
...are you mental or trolling?

why would you think im mental or trolling? Im trying to weed out the posts from the brats that are basicly foot stomping gimme my trophy kids. Kinda like the replies this post has gotten so far lol

Personally, I don't think this would help. From this post 'brats' and 'kids' imply young but I know a lot of 'adults' that tend to act worse in some cases than kids and/or teenagers.... In some cases maturity has nothing to do with age.
09/16/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Uconn
Privacy violation? No. People are asked to state their age numerous times throughout their lives. You gonna go into a liquor store and tell them they are violating your privacy by asking your age?

Do I get angry if I am asked to show my ID? No, it's part of their job to age verify my adult purchases.

Do I get angry if they read information from my ID out loud, essentially announcing my private information to the entire store? Yes. Violating my privacy is not part of their job.
point proven.

thanks for the input
09/16/2018 12:48 PMPosted by Lull
Privacy violation? No. People are asked to state their age numerous times throughout their lives. You gonna go into a liquor store and tell them they are violating your privacy by asking your age?

Do I get angry if I am asked to show my ID? No, it's part of their job to age verify my adult purchases.

Do I get angry if they read information from my ID out loud, essentially announcing my private information to the entire store? Yes. Violating my privacy is not part of their job.

I clearly see your point. I just dont agree that age is a part of privacy when it matters to so many people on so many different levels.
Because that isn't creepy at all.

A server for youngsters would be better. Let them have a place to play away from people who wish to know their age.
09/16/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Gnomerific
Character name: Touchmedaddy

What could possibly go wrong?

Its posts like yours that scare me, to even think that kind of thought enters your mind is disturbing to me.

Just to be clear, MY reason for wanting peoples age is so after i read a post, instead of just rolling my eyes and moving along, i see their age and then understand a little bit more of their insight on the post they just left.

some sic people in this game
09/16/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Uconn
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I clearly see your point. I just dont agree that age is a part of privacy when it matters to so many people on so many different levels.

Oh, but it is a matter of privacy, and thank goodness, you don't get to decide whether it is or not for any of us, except possibly yourself. The fact that you claim not to have any dark motives doesn't change the fact that there really are people out there who do have them. Moreover, even if every single person reading these forums were a bona fide saint, they would still have no right to access such a personal piece of information about someone else.

Difference here is that you're paying the liquor store a service and they're entitled to your age to make the transaction. We already pay Blizzard for a service and so they know our age for the transaction. Nobody on these forums is getting paid by their fellow player, and thus nobody needs to know your age. Yes, it'd be an invasion of privacy, just as having your real name above your head when RealID first made its rounds was also an invasion of privacy.
Was in one guild where the raid leader, a "grown" man, would cuss, throw temper tantrums and was an all round brat about almost everything, from DPS to RNG gear drops!

In another guild was a polite, well spoken, informative and helpful player. Very pleasant to run anything from quests to raids with. Was totally shocked to get on discord with, and eventually find out was a 12 year old!

Age means nothing. If only there was a maturity meter attached to keyboards. Now that would be a thing!!

Oh, but it is a matter of privacy, and thank goodness, you don't get to decide whether it is or not for any of us, except possibly yourself. The fact that you claim not to have any dark motives doesn't change the fact that there really are people out there who do have them. Moreover, even if every single person reading these forums were a bona fide saint, they would still have no right to access such a personal piece of information about someone else.

Just because you think it is doesnt mean it really is. Trust me, your age is not a matter of privacy. Try withholding that bit of info from anyone for the rest of your life and see where it gets you. Dont be a sheep.

that being said, you clearly miss the part where you would be agreeing to it when you sign the ToS, making the part you think is private, not private.

im ok with the negative responses, i expected them. It is Sunday afterall.

and i still wish it were listed on everyones profile. As it clearly offends some (America) i on the other hand would see it as useful info when reading through posts here during coffee time ;)
09/16/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Uconn
my idea:
when creating an account you have to put your age in.
like the post count there should be Age:**

i think that would at least help here on the forums, for obvious reasons.

Seems foolproof. There is zero chance that people would lie about it.
I'm 47. I was born the year Charles Manson was convicted.

During Legion, there was one guy trying to kill the Houndmaster world boss in the cave but he kept dying to the stuff on the ground and releasing. I kept tanking the boss for him and after 4 tries he finally got it. He thanked me and I said "no problem, but I need to go check on my grandson". Might have hurt his ego.
You do realize that there are plenty of adults who haven't matured after the age of 12? What would posting ages do?
why would it matter? everyone would still be called a kid anyways.
i get it people, it would create a whirlwind of what ifs.. but it was just an idea (good or bad) that spun through my head. Sometimes after reading a post i wonder just how old the person is, because of some insight they had that made me question it. Like some of you questioning me here.. i read these forums daily and the whining over this expansion has gotten to me at times. hence this thread.

sorry to those ive offended or to those who think its a bad idea,

id still like it to happen tho
Do you think this is a bad idea, OP? No? Let me count the ways...

1. People won't be honest about their age and you know it.

2. Age =/= maturity. I've met 50 year olds that make my 9 year old son cringe.

3. The Internet is literally the worst place for young children to announce their age. You do know that creeps exist, right? You do realize that a lot of these creeps know how to hack and track computer locations, right? Thus they would be able to track the location of the kid and snatch them. You know that... right?

And even IF they can't track the location... I'll be honest with you here, younger kids are stupid. There was a time where kids were being lured to kidnappers by pretending to be chicken nuggets online. You never know when these potential traffickers can tell a kid to "meet up" with them. Yes, it's happened. Yes, it happens. Yes, it continues to happen, even as we speak.

4. Honestly, what purpose does this serve? Why would you want to know the age of someone?

5. Seems kind of like a violation of privacy to me. These are people behind computer screens who only want to go onto a game/forums for a good time. They don't need anyone to know about their age. It is unnecessary and private information.
09/16/2018 11:29 AMPosted by Uconn
<span class="truncated">...</span>are you mental or trolling?

why would you think im mental or trolling? Im trying to weed out the posts from the brats that are basicly foot stomping gimme my trophy kids. Kinda like the replies this post has gotten so far lol

Clearly you weren't around for when Blizzard tried to force RiD on Bnet, forums, etc.
Briefly; to show 'good faith', one Blizzard employee happily posted his real name on this forum. Within 24 hours, he had been hacked, his ID stolen, his credit destroyed and both he and his MOTHER received over 200 pizzas.

Now go away.
A genuine Sunday thread. How unusual.

That said, if I had a teen daughter playing this game, I really wouldn't feel comfortable about her age info being freely available to 40 year old men.