Where's my mana?

Priest
smite costs 500 mana, which is a pittance. It's practically free.
Yeah don't just spam your abilities. If you're going oom as disc you're probably throwing too many attonements out with smend and shield. You'll get used to it.
09/19/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Sagetorque
I think Discipline is just like Mistweaver, it has the potention to dry your mana very fast if not played properly.

Maybe it's the Legion Disc me but sometimes I feel like I should be close to ooming then look at my bar ane it's still above 50%. I really feel like it's gotten much better in BFA

This, I feel the same way, I'm having way less mana issues now than I did in Legion, if anything I feel mana conservation has gotten easier now.

It's still important to play it right, as other have said, if you try to spot heal people who randomly take a small to medium burst of damage you'll run OOM, outside of your ramp you should try keep atonements low, only really apply it to players who you know are going to be taking consistent damage (typically the tanks and someone who has a strong DOT on him).
there is a perception by certain players that if X's are good and Y's are weak, that means X's are overtuned. It's not a logical conclusion because couldn't it be that Y's are undertuned and X's are just right? Unless you answer both questions you can't really conclude anything. But, from my time playing both disc/holy priest, holy paladin, I think the following.

holy was never overtuned.

other healers were undertuned.

the 3% nerf to holy basically did nothing, it was a PR stunt to appease other healers who felt weak in comparison. and it's not a good way to handle these kind of changes.
Keep in mind as well that as disc, you don't need to try to snipe spot heals in order to do your job. Keep up atonements on the tank, and Smite / Solace away while you wait for the next burst. I would only atone folks who weren't likely to be instantly topped by other healers (during heavy damage phases, for example). Disc isn't the kind of spec that is good at sniping single hits of damage on random players, so don't waste atonements butting heads with hPaladins and rShamans.

Also, Penance costs a good chunk of mana, so don't use it unless you have your proc if your mana is low. Ephemeral Recovery is also really strong as a stacking trait, so try to get some of those (getting buffed on Tuesday as well!).
09/20/2018 10:54 PMPosted by Holymonky
09/19/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Sagetorque
I think Discipline is just like Mistweaver, it has the potention to dry your mana very fast if not played properly.

Maybe it's the Legion Disc me but sometimes I feel like I should be close to ooming then look at my bar ane it's still above 50%. I really feel like it's gotten much better in BFA

This, I feel the same way, I'm having way less mana issues now than I did in Legion, if anything I feel mana conservation has gotten easier now.

It's still important to play it right, as other have said, if you try to spot heal people who randomly take a small to medium burst of damage you'll run OOM, outside of your ramp you should try keep atonements low, only really apply it to players who you know are going to be taking consistent damage (typically the tanks and someone who has a strong DOT on him).

I agree, im having less mana issues now then in legion. In legion i ran a mana trinket all the time. Now i can use 2 normal trinkets (not the DMC Tides was giving much mana back anyways)
I've had no huge issues with mana so far in Uldir. The only bosses where I have have to watch my mana more carefully are Vectis and Mythrax. Even then, its still completely manageable. Make sure you are using the replenishment potion for mana and also full casting your symbol of hope.

If you're having trouble with disc maybe you can link your logs and we can tell you? You might be spamming PWS and shadow mend too much?
Blessed portents has made my job in m+ a lot easier too, I’d get at least two of those traits if you can. They’re a good safety net
09/19/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Nightlights
One word for you: Gear.

Gear will make your heals hit harder, mana regen faster, and people will take less damage.

So farm gear.

Geez, you're just going to trivialize her problem away like that. dang.
Why stacking spirit was a thing back in the day, its never fun to oom and be gimped the rest of the fight.

It would be nice to have a mana regen stat again.. maybe tie it with versatility since at present its not all that useful
09/22/2018 11:48 PMPosted by Omgitsalan
Why stacking spirit was a thing back in the day, its never fun to oom and be gimped the rest of the fight.

It would be nice to have a mana regen stat again.. maybe tie it with versatility since at present its not all that useful

A game where costs are relevant is fun. For example: Smite heals a lot more (and costs a lot less) than shadowmend when concerning multiple targets.
It's a L2P issue.

Things that can help with your mana issues.

Don't spam PW:S needlessly. It's expensive and if you cannot take advantage of the atonement it's usually not worth it.

PW:Radiance is your cheapest way to apply atonement. Don't be afraid to use it but also be careful of boss timers.

Don't penance unless you can actually heal with it or you don't need the mana. Smite is cheaper and provides a damage absorb.
The idea that this is a L2P issue comes from a very smug position. If you have a raid that is giving wisdom to healers vs casting on themselves, innervating when appropriate, and using symbol of hope the mana issues will be much less given the same playstyles. If none of those things are being done and that boomkin is saying I need heals... well I might agree this is a L2P issue but not with the OP.

It's a pretty simple concept that a raid that works together will have better success. In that context, I would say that the added responsibility to try and make sure you are getting that outside help might make it less frustrating.

I personally feel that not having the resources to do what is needed is frustrating for all. The response to just let others do it is accurate but doesn't keep people alive when those other people are not doing it...
The idea that this is a L2P issue comes from a very smug position.

But it IS an L2P issue.
09/23/2018 05:03 AMPosted by Sullypr
The idea that this is a L2P issue comes from a very smug position. If you have a raid that is giving wisdom to healers vs casting on themselves, innervating when appropriate, and using symbol of hope the mana issues will be much less given the same playstyles. If none of those things are being done and that boomkin is saying I need heals... well I might agree this is a L2P issue but not with the OP.

It's a pretty simple concept that a raid that works together will have better success. In that context, I would say that the added responsibility to try and make sure you are getting that outside help might make it less frustrating.

I personally feel that not having the resources to do what is needed is frustrating for all. The response to just let others do it is accurate but doesn't keep people alive when those other people are not doing it...
It is a L2P issue 100%. If you're running into mana issues before a boss is dead, you're overextending by casting too many PW:S or Shadow Mend.
When they say L2p, they arent being mean. They arent trying to be wankers or elitist. If you dont know what your doing then you dont. Its why this forum exists, to help people. Now lots of advice was given here how to avoid going oom, so its up to the OP to put it in place and get back to us with results. Was it easier, work, not work etc.
I've leveled as Disc to 120 all via BGs since I came back (from lvl 100) and I've been 120 for a week now and no mana issues. All of the sudden as of about 7 hours ago, I'm having major mana issues, but I can't seem to find any literature on a Disc priest nerf within the past day. I played it yesterday with no OOM issues, and now it's every BG. Not sure what happened.
I must not have been clear so I will try to give examples that are clearer to the group. I also haven't had mana issues in normal play nor in M+. However in Uldir on two fights(only) I am having trouble. I don't have trouble if I have wisdom, I get innervate from a druid, or a holy priest is using their skills to add mana. I read the I am awesome and never have mana issue comments that I felt were not helpful to someone who can also read icy-veins and repeat what is there.

So assuming they are doing all of that correctly the tools that are available to help the raid could also be used. The assumption that you are so much better and do things right as opposed to the OP I will say again comes from a very smug position. I offer another solution that might help if say the fight is going on forever because the raid has really bad dps or mechanics. I mean hasn't everyone been in those situations? Doesn't it use more mana or do you just let them die and say not my issue?

Not using skills available would seem the more L2P situation. Imagine not putting the mage intel buff on or fortify because if a player is good they don't need it... That is why I didn't directly target a persons response because there maybe a L2P issue but there are also other options that can help.
09/24/2018 07:06 AMPosted by Sullypr
I also have had no mana issues even in M+ but in 2 fights in Uldir I do. So maybe I wasn't clear that in the raid we have tools that can help the mana issues and if a raid isn't using them they are not playing efficiently. To just say L2P is absolutely a elitist perspective and immature as well. How does that help anyone? The I am so good and never have issues comments were permeated in this thread. I wanted to give additional help instead of just say L2P. If it helps a raid great, if not at least it is a perspective that is outside of an individual persons ego.

The answer to just not help other players or you will go oom vs use the current tools available and you might be able to "sparingly" help seems pretty clear to me. Maybe that doesn't make sense to players that aren't used to working together?
What are you going on about? People have said what the issue is already. Too much PW:S is the likely culprit for any Mana issues as Disc.

How are people elitist for saying playstyle is the culprit and learning to play proper will fix the issue?