RIP Resto PvP

Shaman
Anyone else think these resto nerfs are just going to be a nightmare trying to push rating in RBGs?

I don't understand the huge nerfs to riptide. It is our ONLY HoT. When we are kicked/stunned, thats our only crutch.

With Soul Link nerfed, I really don't see how shamans are going to live through team fights. If the enemy is smart, they will just train the shaman down and won't have a problem doing it.

Thoughts?
Blizzard was always quick to nerf shamans, that was expected.

I guess they nerfed it because it allowed to instant cast a lot, and that is not the class fantasy (to heal by instant casting). The fantasy is getting chain cced for 20s, and then trying to cast something, only to be interrupted. It's odd that they didn't add a cast time for Riptide as well.
Were resto shaman really doing that we in pvp? From the arenas I've done I've probably seen them less than any other healer.
09/21/2018 07:21 PMPosted by Mùgen
Were resto shaman really doing that we in pvp? From the arenas I've done I've probably seen them less than any other healer.

I have a feeling we got screwed because almost every team in the EU/NA arena tournament last weekend was running resto shaman and it wasn't really close.

I think these changes are actually ok for resto in arena, but I think it's going to be horrendous for RBGs. I understand them wanting resto to hardcast, but all of our spells are in the same catagory. We can get controlled the entire fight if the team focuses us. Riptide is a huge help here as its ticks usually can keep us/allies alive while we get out of CC.

Not anymore...
09/21/2018 07:26 PMPosted by Aehron
09/21/2018 07:21 PMPosted by Mùgen

I have a feeling we got screwed because almost every team in the EU/NA arena tournament last weekend was running resto shaman and it wasn't really close.

I think these changes are actually ok for resto in arena, but I think it's going to be horrendous for RBGs. I understand them wanting resto to hardcast, but all of our spells are in the same catagory. We can get controlled the entire fight if the team focuses us. Riptide is a huge help here as its ticks usually can keep us/allies alive while we get out of CC.

Not anymore...

I really don't like how the tune around the best players in the world like that. Maybe resto has a high skill cap with a lot of outplay potential but for your average player I feel like other healers are a lot more forgiving.
Resto is really hard compared to alot of other specs in arena, quite simply because you have so many options of what to do out there depending on the match. I've probably done about 100 arena scrimmages and I still dont feel like I have it down.

That being said, usually I'm getting trained and surviving by earthbind/rocket jump /and other cc's while casting riptide. This is going to hurt.
because 0.0001% of the top rated resto shamans were performing "well-ish"
Spirit Link Totem nerf will probably hit us the hardest in terms of survivability. Making it a 1.5 sec cast...LOL. We can get off a Healing Surge quicker than that. Definitely gonna get kicked/stunned by smart players that see us casting that.

That said, for the casual player who's really only pushing rating to points and gear it should be alright. For anyone shooting for high rating though...gonna be a pain in the !@#.
The thing that gets me too is that they tuned it around a completely unrealistic meta. Close to 100% of players were running the veiled eye trinket. A tank specific trinket from Uldir. It warped the meta and allowed slower comps a lot of breathing room against gas pedal comps. It also made for the longest arena games to date, with dampening usually in the 30s if not higher, where classes like druid and shaman shine by not having their heals become irrelevant as quickly. Balancing a spec around that meta is not only ridiculous, it’s downright stupid.
To clarify the spirit link cast is only for those that pick that pvp talent. There isn’t a cast time on the regular spirit link right?
09/21/2018 08:30 PMPosted by Origin
To clarify the spirit link cast is only for those that pick that pvp talent. There isn’t a cast time on the regular spirit link right?

This is how I understood it, yes. They gutted Riptide three ways (nerfed spell itself, azerite trait, and pvp talent) and gutted our other best pvp trait (besides riptide).

On the good news front, elemental may actually be fun and useful in a few months, so I'm switching to that in pvp until they gut Earth shock and lightning lasso. So probably in a week.
So let me get this straight.

We're bad in raids, Dungeons , and PvP?

Thanks Blizzard
Well that's officially it for me this expansion, /unsub
I'm down with forcing us (and casters/healers in general) to hard cast spells, but there's currently a huge melee bias with all the interrupts, stuns, LoS breaking, and general melee uptime on ranged classes/specs. I get that's it's not fun for melee to get kited all the time, but not being able to cast spells due to various forms of melee lockdown is the caster/healer equivalent and it does NOT feel good.
09/22/2018 12:01 AMPosted by Kvaldun
I'm down with forcing us (and casters/healers in general) to hard cast spells, but there's currently a huge melee bias with all the interrupts, stuns, LoS breaking, and general melee uptime on ranged classes/specs. I get that's it's not fun for melee to get kited all the time, but not being able to cast spells due to various forms of melee lockdown is the caster/healer equivalent and it does NOT feel good.

Just looking around seeing peoples thoughts on the hotfixes. I was hoping wow was heading in a direction of more minor instant cast healing spells and a few powerful hard cast spells for healers. Especially with the GCD changes. Allowing healers the ability to move more but needing to pick the right time to hardcast. Was hoping Pallies were going to fall in line with this but is seems that they instead are making other healers more reliant on hard casts with this hotfix. I have found Pally PvP Healing this expac to be a great pain in this regard. My Flash of Light is a 1.5 sec cast before haste and that is supposed to be my bread and butter. Against good players, especially with the early meta that was hunter, warrior, and rogue, I was getting kicked nonstop or spending time I didn't have juking. A few of my PvP traits buff Holy Light which is a 2.2 sec cast before haste which just blows my mind that they think I am going to get enough of those off to make it worthwhile.

This to say it sucks to see other healing classes going in the same direction of more hard casts but not improving the healing or effects from those hardcasts to make it worth it. It is simply not fun getting trained, kicked out of your entire spell set (if you are a healer with one spell set), and when you do get a cast off it not seeming to make a huge difference.
09/21/2018 07:38 PMPosted by Mùgen
09/21/2018 07:26 PMPosted by Aehron

Not anymore...

I really don't like how the tune around the best players in the world like that. Maybe resto has a high skill cap with a lot of outplay potential but for your average player I feel like other healers are a lot more forgiving.
Very true, shammy with synergy from team play can be very good but by itself it can be very difficult. Theres a reason the average player won't stick with r sham but jump to disc or resto druid and just run Rogue mage lol
LFG is filled with people asking for RDruid/Hpall/Disc. Which one the devs nerf? Shaman.

Impossible to keep playing this class. The bias is VERY real.
09/22/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Alakirr
LFG is filled with people asking for RDruid/Hpall/Disc. Which one the devs nerf? Shaman.

Impossible to keep playing this class. The bias is VERY real.

I mean Rdruid also got wrecked by the nerfs, and disc is going to be taking 10-20% more damage now.