i like transmog but...

General Discussion
i do miss wearing gear how it was originally intended, there where a few benefits, i remember getting my season 3 shoulders on my pally no one wanted to go near me in pvp cause there knew i was geared af and would get destroyed.
Stats, behaviors and mogs can still accomplish all that!
I do miss that about the pre-mog era. where the way your character looked told a story about what you had accomplished

I think mog is a change for the better give the new paradigm of the game, but I wouldn't want to see it implemented if the game still functioned like it used to.
As long as item level or gearscore is a thing, xmog has its place. Get rid of all of those and we could have a system where you want to balance slight stat upgrades for quality and appearance!

Might sound !@#$ty, but it made raiding a lot more appealing to me way back when. Actually needing to move forward to look good.

Alas, I am a Blood Elf
So don't use it then.
09/22/2018 10:58 PMPosted by Mandude
So don't use it then.

thanks for your response!
I was in 7/8 Transcendence before I completed 8/8 Prophecy or Devout.

That's just how it goes sometimes.
Have you considered getting OP gear and mogging it to look like a BC clownsuit of mishmashed quest gear, so when people see you they think 'ha, easy kill' and die while the thought is still forming in their minds?
09/22/2018 11:04 PMPosted by Gulder
Have you considered getting OP gear and mogging it to look like a BC clownsuit of mishmashed quest gear, so when people see you they think 'ha, easy kill' and die while the thought is still forming in their minds?

I did this for about a month in mop

I had to stop though I couldnt take myself seriously
I personally do not miss seeing people in mismatched gear with clashing colors. Buncha eyesores.
09/22/2018 10:55 PMPosted by Uristä
I do miss that about the pre-mog era. where the way your character looked told a story about what you had accomplished
I feel like this kinda stopped even before mog, when leveling sets started showing up more, whereas in vanilla pieces seemed pretty random and you looked like an adventurer.

one of the few things I liked about vanilla.
The only people who really go overboard on the transmogs are dudes dressing up their female characters. Otherwise, don't tend to notice it much. It's basically barbie dress up at this point.
Nononononononononono. Transmog is easily a top 5 thing that has ever been added into this game.

Mogs are like my J's irl. Love my clothing.
09/23/2018 01:31 AMPosted by Greenegg
09/22/2018 10:55 PMPosted by Uristä
I feel like this kinda stopped even before mog, when leveling sets started showing up more, whereas in vanilla pieces seemed pretty random and you looked like an adventurer.

one of the few things I liked about vanilla.

That was something nice about the limitations of vanilla.
All the peices were pretty simple until you got to the end game, so any mishmash of random gear would look pretty reasonable together since each individual lacked the detail to clash with the rest of it.

It made your character look like a proper adventurer, dressed in an interesting assortment of gear that still matched.

The current art design I feel is too set focused, with many pieces having such strong motifs they only look good with their own sets, or with parts from very similar sets.
Honestly this only really stuck around in vanilla and BC when tiers were a lot more layered together without huge ilvl/stat jumps. Somebody in good gear worked a looong time for it as opposed to now where you can join at the end of an expansion and catch up relatively quickly.

If they had the same old school method of raids being in constant progression through an expansion without a lot of catch-up mechanics then it would catch some of that special feeling.

Truth is though you would probably end up annoying everyone anyways.
09/22/2018 11:04 PMPosted by Gulder
BC clownsuit

Never again.
09/22/2018 10:50 PMPosted by Anestarian
i do miss wearing gear how it was originally intended, there where a few benefits, i remember getting my season 3 shoulders on my pally no one wanted to go near me in pvp cause there knew i was geared af and would get destroyed.

Before transmog, what other players were wearing meant nothing to me, other than it may have looked good. I had no idea whether they were good at PVP, PVE, or PVC..
I think the worst thing is the art department for all their other success has increasingly used tmog as an excuse to put the minimum effort possible into new sets, to the point where they can't even be bothered to design tier sets anymore.