State of Shadow, 8.1 Edition

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Prev 1 50 51 52
They're just slapping on some numerical changes and ignoring mountains of quality, constructive feedback.
This is coming from someone who had a max level of almost every class back in MoP because I couldn't decide on what to play I loved them all so much

Same here. I had every class maxed and I raided at least normal on four or five characters (shadow, WW, prot paladin, resto druid, and probably at least a couple random normal kills on other chars). Yeah, I had more free time then, but this is my only 120 and it's going to stay that way. I had fun on each of those characters and there isn't one of them I can even bring myself to level now, let alone gear up and raid with.

I swapped mains for the first time ever for BFA, from shadow to WW, after a couple hours of shadow in beta convinced me it was going to be awful. Nothing I've seen since then has changed my mind. WW is better than shadow, but it's still a hollow shell of what it used to be, and nothing else feels any better. I canceled my sub this week, and for the first time ever am not sure I'm coming back.
Keep this thread alive. I’m not going to sit here as they continue to give us lazy number tuning.
I can tell you for a fact that I have roughly 4 days left on my sub and I will not put another dollar into this game. I have 6 level capped characters because I was trying to find a suitable replacement for my spriest and honestly I cant find one and I don't feel like leveling something else. I was excited to get out of legion but honestly I'd rather be playing legion still. Classes are just under developed and azerite gear doesn't fix the huge holes in the specs. Everything else is fine just the classes....
So, how much feedback do they still need?

Are they fueled up by these cry-out posts?

It is so crazy I can't even be angry anymore. It starts to get funny. :))

If blizz did accomplish something, they indeed got the priest players to feel the fantasy: we (some of us) gave into madness IRL. :))
There have been a great number of suggestions, and a lot of hard-number examinations by people who are much better at it than I. Whether or not any of our complaints or suggestions reach the eyes and ears of those who consider them as potential changes is something we regrettably do not know.
11/13/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Dinhya
There have been a great number of suggestions, and a lot of hard-number examinations by people who are much better at it than I. Whether or not any of our complaints or suggestions reach the eyes and ears of those who consider them as potential changes is something we regrettably do not know.

Ultimately either the community is communicating with themselves or the devs are silently listening to our communications and taking notes.

It's worth communicating with each other even if the devs aren't taking advantage of our feedback, so that we know what we want. One day, these devs will leave, and new devs will arrive - and with them maybe a new philosophy toward accepting feedback: and when that day comes, we will know what we want, will have considered every possibility, will have built models for every parallel future.
Thanks Yvaelle, that's a good way to look at it.
up
11/13/2018 12:33 PMPosted by Yvaelle
Ultimately either the community is communicating with themselves or they the devs are silently listening to our communications and taking notes.

It's worth communicating with each other even if the devs aren't taking advantage of our feedback, so that we know what we want. One day, these devs will leave, and new devs will arrive - and with them maybe a new philosophy toward accepting feedback: and when that day comes, we will know what we want, will have considered every possibility, will have built models for every parallel future.

Sadly, that's not how it all works out in the end. I've already unsubbed and it runs out on 1st week of Feb? Something like that - I've been a 6-month sub for a very long time, since this game is still a very economical form of entertainment for people like me who live in a unbearably expensive city.

If I keep talking to a glass wall, and the other person on the other side just refuses to give any indication of a response - however small that response may be - there will come a point when I'll leave. I suspect the same for many of the other players in this thread and the countless others.

The last large feedback I gave was a few threads ago - and with 8.1 now what, 3 weeks away, there's practically zero chance for any major changes to Shadow or MM or Ele (the 3 specs I've enjoyed playing outside of Boomkin - from BC to end of MOP). I've never been a good melee player in this game, so even though I have my rogue @ 120, I do highly mediocre damage on it, and just do randoms to have fun.

See, an entire playstyle that I don't enjoy playing (Melee) is more FUN than playing entire classes or specs that I've enjoyed playing so much in the past - shadow being right at the top.
11/13/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Crosshairs

See, an entire playstyle that I don't enjoy playing (Melee) is more FUN than playing entire classes or specs that I've enjoyed playing so much in the past - shadow being right at the top.

I don't think I dispute anything you are saying, I'm just pointing out the value in community feedback exists for the community, whether these devs are smart enough to read it or not.

I also unsubbed at the start of November because I cannot financially contribute to this product anymore, given the quality of dev leadership in BFA.

After being a Blizzard fanboy for 20 years, I am boycotting Blizzard over 8.1 Shadowpriests - don't think I'm making light of this mess. But that doesn't mean we need to go silent: nothing will ever change if we do.
Quoting a couple of posts a while back from a thread that had died out. I think these ideas from Hpellipsis and Presance nailed the idea of decoupling Voidform, and adding synergy to a baseline SW:D.
11/02/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Hpellipsis
1: Voidform is now entered by using Void Bolt.
2: New ability. Void Eruption: Deal X damage to all targets within Y yards of target. Cooldown replenishes 100% faster in Voidform. Z seconds cooldown.
3: Shadow crash replaced as a talent (Because eruption fills that role). Dark Ascension now gives Void Eruption a 2nd charge instead of being its own ability.

New aoe ability that's not only decoupled from Voidform, but unifies the goals of shadow in both aoe and single target to be incentivised to maximise voidform uptime WITHOUT more backloading. Also gets rid of the current "I wanna hold damage for Aoe but I need to keep doing my standard rotation" problem.
I was thinking more liiiike... 30-40 or so? Reducing to about 25 with average VF uptime. Damage tuned accordingly of course. I did also really like the idea of reverting Dark Void back to its original iteration with this change. Gets rid of the frankly idiotic button bloat for shadow in Mythic Plus, where we have 4 buttons that essentially do 1/4 of a cohesive whole.
11/03/2018 06:56 PMPosted by Presance
As for Shadow Word: Death, I think if it provided some kind of utility, it could potentially become more valuable, perhaps not only for us, but party members as well.

One idea would be SW:D debuffs the opponent to receive, say 1-5% extra damage for a certain amount of time. This could potentially be useful as a kind of utility to separate spriests from other casters. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it would provide a ridiculous amount of power considering the relatively low time of execute phases and it being tied to SW:D being cast. I do see how issues could potentially be caused with balancing other classes around it and log parses, but it could compensate for a spriest's lack of survivability and utility.

Another idea would be tying SW:D to either refreshing other abilities, or lowering the CDs of others. I'd be all for the idea of decoupling Void Eruption, and I think it would be a really cool idea to have SW:D shave off something like 3-4 seconds of the skill's CD upon a cast. This could incentivize spriests into focusing on multi-targeting/add sniping to receive the benefit of greater aoe. It would definitely add a bigger skill component to our playstyle. Unfortunately, most of our abilities are very short cds and just pressed on cd anyway.
With the launch of the new forums tomorrow I'm betting these will all go poof. But don't worry fellow shadowpriests and concerned bystanders...the new forums mean Blizzard is ready for your feedback! Keep paying those subs, we're listening to you!
11/14/2018 06:04 PMPosted by Glitzytrout
Keep paying those subs, we're listening to you!

Ummm, half right. They do want us to keep paying subs, but no, they are not listening.

For shadow on PTR, survivability is looking bad. Nerfed shield due to the 7.5 second debuff and having to take damage to proc our new "improved" damage resistance means I take more damage than ever. I have no snares to keep mobs off me, so either we need Focused Will to stack or we need a snare like tentabros to keep mobs off us. The devs remain totally clueless.
Well my sub just ran out and I have no intention of fixing it. Given the current look of the ptr for shadow priest and the amount of time left before the patch..... It's likely safe to say shadow isn't getting anything worth while. What a shame.