Rampage's damage isn't calculated correctly

Warrior
Disclaimer: I did not create the original post, and I did not test any of these myself. I'm just translating the original post and post it here so hopefully we can hear back from Blizz whether it is a bug that needs to be fixed; or it was done on purpose, we need an explaination why the actual number on rampage is so much lower than in the database.
Original post : http://bbs.nga.cn/read.php?tid=15146339&_ff=181

TL;DR, Rampage deals 33% less damage than it suppose to.

-----------------------
According to the pinned post, and after checking talent calculater, the numbers in the database seems have no problem.
But the in-game damage does have a serious problem.
According to the damage formula, Bloodthirst's damage = 67% attack power, Execute = 170% AP.
On my in-game tooltips, Bloodthirst deals 4342 damage, Execute deals 11094 damage. 11094/4342 equals about 2.5, basically the same as 170/67.
I also made comparisons with Arms' attack power number, the number of Bloodthirst and Execute should be correct.

Here comes the problem, according to database, Rampage's damage = 264% AP, suppose to be 3.88 times the damage of Bloodthirst. Theoretically it should says 17000~ on the tooltip.
But on the in-game tooltip, if you didn't pick Carnage (lvl 75 talent), the damage is lower than Execute, which means the actual damage formula of Rampage is less than 170% AP! (the above were tested on training dummies, numbers on tooltips and combat logs were identical)

As we all know, Rampage is the core of Fury's damage dealing mechanics, but right now the actual damage of Rampage is only about 165% AP! This is drastically different from that 264% AP in the database. No wonder why Fury's damage is so pathetic.

I remember around the release of the expansion, the only change they made to Rampage is reducing the animation from 5 swings to 4 swings, and no changes were made to numbers.
Now given the present situation, they didn't just optimize the attack animation, but also a solid nerf - reducing the damage of Rampage by more than 33%.

I don't know if blizz did this on purpose, or if there's an error in the database. (If it is an in-game bug, and blizz only look at the database when they do the balancing, fury's situation will never get better)
No matter what, Rampage's damage is too low, even 100% AP less than the designed number.

It always feels weird. Fury obviously deals more damage than Arms according to the formulas (even with Arm's 15% dmg aura). But fury just sucks. Arms can flip the damage meter solely by spamming Execute - a 160% AP spell. And the serial strikes of Rampage made it really difficult to notice how low the actual damage is.
So fury doesn't need any buff at all, they just need to fix the in-game damage and make it same as the 264% AP in the database.

I wish someone with an US account can report this on the US forums.

Blizzard must give us an explaination.
------------------------
Interesting, maybe submitting a ticket in game will get it more attention
Wow that's very interesting. I'd love to see a response from blizzard because you cant get any more constructive than this with regards to feed back. I'm waiting for the fury is fine posts though lol
it sounds like that person doesn't understand how the damage formula works
I'll look at it in a bit

that's cause they don't understand how numbers work
and there's a lot of !@#$ the game doesn't show you

it's not broken

The three responses Archimtiros had when this was linked in Skyhold.
So....
09/23/2018 01:19 AMPosted by Ashaniery
Here comes the problem, according to database, Rampage's damage = 264% AP
That premise is incorrect.

Rampage is made up of four hits which have individual coefficients:
72%, 42%, 96%, 54% - alternating OH, MH, OH, MH.

What you/OP forget is that offhand hits always deal 50% less damage, effectively making the first and third coeff 36% and 48% respectively. This means that Rampage deals a total of 180% of AP, not 264%. This offhand reduction applies to all attacks, including Furious Slash and the offhand component of Whirlwind, Raging Blow, and Execute (which is effectively 187.5% adjusted and correctly equates to x2.757 of Bloodthirst's 68%).

There's a lot of stuff the game doesn't show you, and certainly isn't reflected in the raw coefficient
  • Armor reduces physical damage by ~20-30% based on the level of the target.
  • Execute has a rank 2 which increases its damage by 50%.
  • Every spec has a scaling aura which increases or reduces the damage done by most of their abilities (among other things such as reducing Fury auto attack damage by 30%).

I remember around the release of the expansion, the only change they made to Rampage is reducing the animation from 5 swings to 4 swings, and no changes were made to numbers.
Also incorrect. The coeffs at the time were 20/50/30/70/40, starting with the MH (keep in mind a lot of tuning happened during the BfA Alpha/Beta process).

It always feels weird. Fury obviously deals more damage than Arms according to the formulas (even with Arm's 15% dmg aura). But fury just sucks. Arms can flip the damage meter solely by spamming Execute - a 160% AP spell.
Fury also has one of those, but it's -12%. Arms gains more in the Execute phase because it's spamming that Execute every GCD, whereas Fury's Rampage is every 4-6 GCDs. That said, Fury really isn't far behind Arms on single target; the real reason Arms is dominant is because it's
  • Easier to gear,
  • Shorter cooldowns which are easier to time and line up better with encounter mechanics/short M+ combats,
  • Far better multi-target tools;
  • Fury Whirlwind (formerly Meat Cleaver) is only really effective on 4-5 targets, which is not a common situation, while Arms Sweeping Strikes 2 target is both stronger and much more practical. While Fury and Arms Bladestorm deal roughly the same damage per second based on cooldown, Arms is burstier, can match the cooldown with Anger Management, and has the added weight of Warbreaker, Avatar, and Deep Wounds on top which flat out beat Enrage, Siegebreaker, and Recklessness - not to mention the fact that it's far harder for Fury to achieve maximum output, given the rage pooling and 3-5 GCD lead up required.

If you want to point fingers at anything, that's the real issue - Arms is simply far more practical, and the things Fury does well aren't strong enough to outweigh it.
As someone already pointed out, this isn't true at all, and I'm pretty sure that website you linked is a virus. if this was true, we would have known about it months ago.
So yeah, not only was this clickbaity crap, the link was some kanji crap.

And the OP is nowhere to be found.

And it was all incorrect.

10/10
09/23/2018 10:00 PMPosted by Drezwazluz
So yeah, not only was this clickbaity crap, the link was some kanji crap.

And the OP is nowhere to be found.

And it was all incorrect.

10/10

What are you on about? It was obviously translated from an Asian forum. Not all WoW players speak English
09/23/2018 11:58 PMPosted by Slurpyz
What are you on about? It was obviously translated from an Asian forum. Not all WoW players speak English

I'm well aware of this. But it was all incorrect. So...?