Why be a tank?

General Discussion
Today I finally understood why tanks are rare this expansion. I have been tanking since launch; first as a blood dk, now as a prot paladin (dark iron was the reason).

At first I had a group of 3 dps running with me, without them I've realized just how terrible the average dps pug is.

I cannot for the life of me find a dps who does over 10k overall dps, doesn't stand in easy avoidable mechanics, and KICKS AND DISPELS.

Its unbelievable how much harder it is if none of your dps are kicking ANYTHING. I've been taking so much more damage.

If you are a DPS *PLEASE* understand your role.

It's not just pumping out mediocre damage.
I enjoy tanking, bit more this expansion than I did legion. If a tank is going to be sensitive and unable to take criticism than they are not going to have a good time.

Have had a few bad groups, no biggie, just simply leave. Those bad groups were a minority too.

I have not had such a hard time finding a guild who needed tanks for raids. There was a time where I played a dps spec till a slot was open, but it has been my experience that tanks don't last very long. /shrug
09/22/2018 05:09 PMPosted by Azraia
It's rewarding when you finally have a nice group. or one where nobody says anything and then you get a whisper at the end of 'nice tanking :)'.

Most guilds will want backup tanks, too.

We tanks and healers need to go on strike.
09/22/2018 05:19 PMPosted by Dliver
Catch a guild that's rebuilding their roster ahead of a new tier.

People leave guilds for all kinds of reasons, including tanks.

My experience is that tanks tend to be around longer. Again this could vary a bit from guild to guild. For 2 straight expansions our guild tanks did not change. Healers and dps came and went. Another guild I'm in now one of the tanks was there for multiple expansions. It's a bit more cutthroat out there for tanks getting a raid position.
Tanking is alright, I think it really depends on the content you enjoy.

In raids, its pretty boring and a monkey could do it. I mean, you don't have to worry about threat because Blizz dulled it down to a point that you can completely !@#$ off your rotation and not lose aggro. Outside of that, your hardest fight mechanically is what, Mythrax? I mean taunt swapping, moving a boss around a couple times... there really isn't anything challenging to tanking.

In dungeons, yeah it can be tough at first. But after a bit it's just as easy. Learning the pulls in 10 different dungeons with a bunch of modifiers on M+ can be a bit daunting. After you get the pulls down though, you're basically back to doing a brain dead job.

I mean at the end of the day, you can be efficient with your defensives and CD's, but there isn't much to tanking. It's a very simple and easy job, with the hardest part being knowing what to pull and routing in new dungeons.

I think if they made threat an actually competitive thing, there would be a lot more people wanting to tank. As it is, it's more "Yeah hes good he can pull quick and knows the fights", but that's it. Nobody cares about your mediocre negligible single target damage, so make it that threat is something which actually needs to be managed. A good tank shouldn't be noted just because he can pull some %^-* and do a few simple mechanics per a fight. He should be able to do those things, but keep up with a 14k DPS warlock in threat too. And I dont mean like it is now where Blizz hands you threat on a silver platter. I mean a tank should have to work to maintain threat, and people would notice it more.

I mean yeah, I can see why people get mad at you when you !@#$ up as a tank. You've got a stupid easy job to do, and if you can't handle it... well, I don't know what to say, lol.

Tldr: I tank because it's the easiest thing to do in the game.
I enjoy tanking because its all I've really done main stream both in Wow and Everquest. I do DPS as needed. Every good tank should have a back up role to fill in. I think most shun from it because of pressure to get it right. For most, dps is all they know. Screwing up in front of your peers, and the constant barrage from others I believe is the part that makes it hard. To be a tank, or healer for that matter you need thick skin.

To me personally, its not about being a good tank, dps, or healer...Its about being a good player in general. Know your class and its weaknesses and strengths. Admit you messed up, get back up, knock the dust off and try again...want to learn. That is the important step.'
09/22/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Sunday
I wanted to tank eventually but I dunno, if Blizz is seriously going to nerf taunt i'd rather not have an already difficult job made worse

doesn't seem like it's worth the aggravation anymore. I get faster queues as heals and less headaches

Keeping threat was always part of the game until a few expansions ago and it became trivial. I'm glad they made it relevant again, it's part of being a tank. Honestly, have you tanked anything this expac? I've had the occasional issue but otherwise not problems.
The 'guilds only need 2 tanks for raids' argument is why my tank is still 110. We have our tanks and normally come up short on dps and heals.

Tanking is in demand for dungeons, but for raids, once they have their 2 you are out of luck.
09/22/2018 05:14 PMPosted by Tobisway
I think blizzard should make pve content require more than 2 tanks... You can build teams around several healers and 20+ dps, tanks get stuck at 2 slots cause you don't really get anything out of including any more.

They did. You needed 8 tanks for four horsemen fight in Naxxramas..needless to say they never went there again.
I do it purely for the fast queues.
I've tried tanking in the beginning of this xpac and didn't really like it. At the beginning of the run, I warned everyone that I was new to tanking and that "I apologize in advance" and they were pretty understanding. To me, tanking is extremely daunting and stressful.

09/22/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Grazgore
Pugs just chew you out for every little thing that doesn't fit in their ideal scenario of a run.

So what is the point? Consistently deal with the stress of other classes not doing their jobs but love to critique yours yet they want someone to put up with it so they can get their runs done.

I guess we've both had different experiences, but I've never seen a tank be called out by a whole group. I'm aware that it happens, but all of the tanks I've ever done runs with always shifted the blame either on to the healer, or one of us DPS.
Until warmode, begin a tank meant I could survive longer against the mobs of horde running around.
Also means I can solo (most) mobs in the world and not worry looking for others to help me.
For pugging randoms, easy fix: give tanks 3x the gold and xp to deal with it.
09/22/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Grazgore
I see people screaming for more tanks but what's the point?

Guilds don't want you because they already have 1-2 tanks in guild.
Pugs just chew you out for every little thing that doesn't fit in their ideal scenario of a run.

So what is the point? Consistently deal with the stress of other classes not doing their jobs but love to critique yours yet they want someone to put up with it so they can get their runs done.

Dunno, sounds like the grass is greener on the other side.

This is the treatment you get as a "nice guy" tank.

Be an absolute horrible person to others, especially the DPS. They know they did something wrong, and they know you can find it. That's why they abuse you in the first place.

Don't give them the chance. In this game, it's eat or be eaten.

Your problem is you're not eating.

Devour them alive.

You will get nothing but praise. No one will see the tiny thing you did wrong while being constantly lambasted for the things they did wrong.

Is there a DPS significantly lower than the other two? Is there a hunter?

Blood in the water. Milk it.
09/22/2018 07:05 PMPosted by Nyj

I cannot for the life of me find a dps who does over 10k overall dps, doesn't stand in easy avoidable mechanics, and KICKS AND DISPELS.

Its unbelievable how much harder it is if none of your dps are kicking ANYTHING. I've been taking so much more damage.

If you are a DPS *PLEASE* understand your role.

It's not just pumping out mediocre damage.

This is why when I run dps alts, I try to be on the spot with interrupts and dispels especially if my damage is a bit low.

09/22/2018 08:14 PMPosted by Zendojo
For pugging randoms, easy fix: give tanks 3x the gold and xp to deal with it.

Honestly, not interested even then.
Some of just enjoy tanking. I know I do.
I guess tanking also fits my personality. People expect tanks to be leaders, and I like to lead people.
As the tank, I feel like I'm the leader of the group, guiding them to victory and I relish the responsibility of getting them to the end of the dungeon safely.

It also kinda makes me feel special, I get so excited when joining a mythic group that desperately needs a tank. For once, I feel wanted, lol.

Fast queues are another reason too, there's a million DPS out there and they all do DPS better than I most of the time.
I'll tank M+ in Vengeance or (usually) my Prot Pally, but only with groups that I already know - I can't stand tanking PUGs for reasons others have already stated.
Someone has to do it.
I pugged my way to 120 and I've yet to see anyone chew out a tank, even when they're absolute scrublords who have no idea how dungeon mechanics work pull from one boss to the next in motherlode and never once stopped to look at healer mana when the healers having to push 15-20k hps through half the dungeon.