What is the point of the demo?

Classic Discussion
09/26/2018 11:15 PMPosted by Taintedheals
My guess is they are gonna use the virtual ticket to get some what of an idea of how many players are interested in classic.

That's a terrible idea, considering I'm interested in classic, but no way am I spending fifty bucks on a virtual ticket.
09/27/2018 02:39 AMPosted by Zarnia
1.make money

2.old wow memories

3.classic may come back in a zone portal some how

Would be neat if it was a portal that you went thru where you could keep items you got in vanilla. Wonder how many priest there are left that would come back with bene.
09/26/2018 11:15 PMPosted by Taintedheals
My guess is they are gonna use the virtual ticket to get some what of an idea of how many players are interested in classic.

to be more precise, I think may be to see how many current retail players that never experiences Vanilla, might actually like it.

IMO, of course.
09/27/2018 01:06 AMPosted by Pandysavage
Pretty much nobody is going to pay $50 for a virtual ticket just to have access to the demo, it's just another thing for the people who were already going to buy it.

I'm pretty much nobody.

There was absolutely nothing the virtual ticket had to offer that interested me prior to the announcement. I play HotS casually, but wouldn't have spent $50 for the goodies there. Even if they added a mount and pet in WOW, I wouldn't have spent $50. None of the panels and announcements and access through the virtual ticket mean anything to me - I probably get the data faster from mmo-champion than trying to decide what to watch myself.

However, I've (1) never been willing to play on a private server, so my last experience of vanilla questing was pre-Cata a decade ago, and (2) I haven't spent a dime on anything Blizzard since the 6-month sub/Legion purchase in August 2016. To me the ability to spend that time reliving that world in an official Blizzard environment is worth more than anything else they've waved around with a price tag attached. BfA wasn't worth buying. Game time to access everything minus BfA wasn't worth buying. I could easily flip gold to game time, and not even spend cash, and it wasn't worth doing.

09/27/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Slappypappy
out of curiosity did anyone actually watch the video where they state one of the reason for the demo.

I've brought this up elsewhere. One of the things Brack mentions is that the WOW: Classic demo is a proof of concept - not of WOW: Classic, but of the ability to make BlizzCon demos of any game they're showing off available to Virtual Ticket holders. There's a physical limit on space for a physical convention, and on the number of people that can "take a turn" in a space like that. If the WOW: Classic demo works well, they could easily do similar for any of their other franchises, even for their unannounced, unnamed in-development project when it gets to that point.
WoW Classic will probably be the next expansion.
Part of it probally is for making money...even I would look at you funny for passing up an opportunity like this.

Part of it is to generate hype im sure...

I think most of it is to show they have been working at it and they werent just telling us they were making classic and made a classic server just to get us to shut up.

Though I would also add in a single bg and dungeon to the demo...would give all those who never played a small taste to see if they like it or not...that way when they do go live there wont be as many tourists complaining that theres no reason why "insert qol nerf" shouldnt be in as it only "enhanses" gameplay and has no negatives.

This also serves as a way of showing everyone all the things they refrained from placing in the game that would only give private servers a giant boost in members...and we can stop seeing classic forums spammed with 'I want this qol' or anything outside security, stability and bnet changes.
What is the point of anything Blizzard does?

$$$
That demo will get plenty of non subscribers to buy a ticket.
They are a company and their priority is to make money.
09/26/2018 09:39 PMPosted by Mazx
what happened to days when demos were free?

Marketing teams crunched the numbers and claimed demos reduced sales. Bye-bye demos.
09/27/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Kénpachi
Part of it probally is for making money...even I would look at you funny for passing up an opportunity like this.

It's not really that weird to not want to spend near the price of a brand new AAA game for a 6 day demo and a few other cosmetics I'm largely not interested in.

Even if I have the money to spend, I'm not gonna do it out of principle that it's not good value for me.
09/27/2018 03:50 PMPosted by Cyonan

It's not really that weird to not want to spend near the price of a brand new AAA game for a 6 day demo and a few other cosmetics I'm largely not interested in.

Even if I have the money to spend, I'm not gonna do it out of principle that it's not good value for me.

No...I meant from their perspective....its eggs to go with their cashcow milk.

If you let something slip by that could of made you money then people would look at you funny....me included. They could of just not told us and sprung it at blizzcon but they told us in hopes that it would be the tipping point on the scale to get others to buy virtual tickets.
09/27/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Kénpachi
If you let something slip by that could of made you money then people would look at you funny....me included.

Do you give funny looks at the ladies handing out samples at Costco?

Do you give auto dealers funny looks when they allow you to take test drives?

Have a funny face to make at your drug dealer when he tells you the first one is free?

To me it's a bit like our politics these days. It is not that so many outrageously bad people are holding office (and kept there, like Maxine Waters and Charles Schumer), what slays me is that we have that many people VOTING to put them in office. Blizzard doing cash grabs only occurs because people are willing to be whales.

Actually it is for those of us that remember when games had free demos to entice you to buy the game.

i could buy ESO base + latest expansion for $40 and I get to keep it. This is not including the current sales price.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Actually it is for those of us that remember when games had free demos to entice you to buy the game.

i could buy ESO base + latest expansion for $40 and I get to keep it. This is not including the current sales price.

There is also the 1 zone per faction thing to consider. 6 days? A month? A year?
Regardless of how long they have the "demo" up and running, how long are people honestly going to be spending (with a due nod to RPers) actually in-demo? No matter how you chop it up and shuffle the parts, it is a comically absurd deal for players.
You people are never happy with anything. You get news about a way to play Classic and still find a way to complain about it.

Classic is for everyone, not just you.
to show what QOL additions have been made
09/27/2018 04:57 PMPosted by Brokenwind

There is also the 1 zone per faction thing to consider. 6 days? A month? A year?
Regardless of how long they have the "demo" up and running, how long are people honestly going to be spending (with a due nod to RPers) actually in-demo? No matter how you chop it up and shuffle the parts, it is a comically absurd deal for players.

Not for everyone though. There are those that like all the aspects of the event so that $50 VT is a good deal for them especially if they can't afford to go or can't afford the time off to go.
money
09/26/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Barkamus
Old school players already know the game and know whether they want to play it or not. Seems to me the demo is aimed squarely at *current* WoW fans.

Blizzard knows how crack addictive Classic WoW is, and BFA's not doing so hot right now............... soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
they would be better off just looking at private server numbers, then realize that a lot of people dont play private servers because they dont like the idea of private servers and dont like the idea of their progress not meaning much if it shuts down.

Testing a 15 year old game is stupid.... they just want more money.