Upcoming Azerite Armor Improvements

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Prev 1 21 22 23 45 Next
I hope its sooner then later, while my alt has all his 370 gear, azerite is like the one spot where my main stuggles with. If i didnt pvp grind two conquest levels or the CoA rep I'd still have 340s myself. Granted I can't fully support another RNG saturated method, but it works as a bandage and not something fully designed and thought out.
Thank you for a post of this detail and directness. Regardless of the content, this is an excellently constructed post.
Unless its adding brand new azerite pieces with our best traits all its gonna be is 370 veiled crystals, sorry but any pieces without latent poison for survival or steady aim for marksman are going to be shards idc what ilvl it is. it will never beat out a 340 piece with the correct traits. and if you are planning to use the emissary current azerite armor but bump the ilvl to 370 then its gonna be useless for most people unless it comes with the correct traits. i feel like you are not listening when we say that our specs only work with certain traits an taking anything else is complete waste of time no matter what ilvl the azerite piece is.
At best, people seem grateful that you're doing at least something, but none of these solutions seem appropriate or what players were uniformly clear about what was needed.

Emmissary RNG and more world quests? Really? Scaling only up to 970 by the time that ilvl will be obsolete? SERIOUSLY?

"Trait stacking is pacifying effects and tripling the RNG, remove stacking and delete a bunch of unnecessary trait bloat" And the solution was to add a ring just like the Netherlight crucible?? The pieces have static traits. That means there's now fewer pieces at the top end of the spectrum. You've just made the problem worse by effectively stacking optimal and sub-optimal combinations... now my 'ideal' piece isn't available in multiple places, it's going to be where ever the one piece with both traits is located. It's not farm-able anyways, but you've managed to make the RNG worse >.> what are you guys doing!? We gave this feedback back during the Netherlight Crucible. How are you guys able to constantly do the exact opposite of what the feedback tells you. It's such a cliche.

"Traits are boring and it feels bad when you get a bad one through rng. remove the rng so we can target the good ones/ones we like."
--oh we'll just make it so that they're all equally boring....
the literal opposite of what people asked for. I swear you guys miss the mark every time.
10/03/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Lore

• Overall Availability: While there’s plenty of Azerite Armor in the 295-340 item level range, further sources are heavily limited and susceptible to bad luck. Even players who are doing a wide range of high-end content are still wearing at least one Item Level 340 piece, despite having replaced all their other gear several times over. Everything else about the system is basically irrelevant if you can’t get your hands on the gear in the first place.

• I don't know if this would make things a little too easily accessible... but why not make it a weekly m+ cache thing where u get a token to drop to upgrade 1 piece of azerite gear to a specific ilvl or 5 ilvls(like the pantheon trinkets), however you want it, or it can come from a potential emissary reward. This way, even if you have a low lvl azerite piece, you can keep it and keep working on that one but it'd take u many more weeks to get it all set up for yourself. If you're concerned about gear scaling to mythic level, then make it so that the item can only upgrade to a certain level.

Or, you can make it so that making timer will guarantee an azerite piece to give more incentive than there is currently to do a +10 on time for instance. Even if you change it so that +11s and up have a 20% increase per level over +10 to get an azerite piece to drop it'd still be many times better than the RNG of emissaries. Only con is that people would be forced to do m+ to that affect.

Point being, the current "solution" is still lacking.
    Better idea.

How about replace M+ Idea and the emissary cache with some BoP crafting mat.

Tailors/LW/Blacksmiths can now craft azerite gear.

The following skills have been added

[zone] Azerite [slot] cache
    (Example - Tiregarde Sound Chest Cache) Awards item level 300 Azerite Gear.

Azerite Infusion: Raises the item level of the gear awarded by an azerite cache up to level 325. (drops from heroics, or awarded from emissary)

Repeat for every tier of difficulty.

What do you have now? An effort gated way to target a small subset of azerite gear at an item level appropriate to content that you are already running.

Raid gear is still likely better, but at least you don’t have to run mythic in 340 gear cuz RNGesus dont like you.
    Let's just get rid of azerite traits, azerite power, the stupid World Quest or bust necklace, and put some secondary stats back on our gear. Everyone wins.
    Well I'd rather have Azerite gear slot redundant than having the current garbo system.
    It's a step in the right direction and I appreciate the response you put and the discussions you have had with the devs, but personally this still feels like you and/or Blizzard's dev team aren't actually understanding the real issues and/or listening to the player feedback. These are nice gestures but they don't solve the problems players have with the system. The issues of accessibility, versatility, trait transparency.

• 1. Why not add the items back into the M+ table as well, considering your follow up clarification on why they are being added to the emissaries instead of m+ is because most players aren't involved in M+. If that's truly the case, there is little harm in adding these items to the M+ loot tables. Additionally, this may actually spur more interest in players delving into M+ rather than less so it would be a win/win. Adding azerite drops to the dungeon completion chest wouldn't force those with no interest in M+ into the content (outside of cutting edge players, but that's already a thing anyways), but it might give additional incentive to people who want to but don't see much of a reason to. If you're concerned over abuse of this system, just make the (soon to be) mediocre "all-purpose" traits drop from M+/WQ's/Warfronts, class specific traits drop from raids, and PvP oriented traits drop from PvP content.
  • 2. One of the biggest issues is being able to specifically target certain drops. Adding these items to the emissaries and adding the scaling is great (and I am excited for this and feel this is also necessary), but this doesn't solve the bigger issue at all. First off, the azerite gear emissaries are not up all the time. Secondly, they are still going to be largely determined by (A.) our overall ilvl and (B.) trait and slot (chest/helm/shoulders) RNG which means there will still be plenty of times where this item is nothing but vendor/scrap trash. Lastly, this will only give us another 2-3 chances a week at an upgrade. This is like putting a finger sized band-aid on Azeroth's sword wound in Silithus. Might have the right intentions but this isn't going to go very far towards resolving the issue.
  • 3. Having the two spec specific traits on the outer ring is great but again, not the solution we want. What we WANT is both the ability to farm the gear AND the ability to swap specs without penalty. Instead of giving us a second trait on the gear (complicating sims and still not solving the simplicity issue btw), let us target azerite gear through m+ (as mentioned above), keep the emissary changes you're adding, AND allow the gear to be more versatile. Let us pick a trait set per spec on each item.
  • 4. Making the generic traits mid road is a good thing, and while I support this, why even have them? If you had less traits in the grand scheme by eliminating the generic ones and instead put the focus on the class traits, that would make make things more simplified for people. This would also work very well with the suggestion above about letting us select one trait set per spec per item, effectively making the need for generic traits obsolete anyways.
  • This sounds like a bandaid fix to the problem. Change azerite gear to change selections when you change spec so you can use the BIS piece for DPS/Tank for both roles without having to reforge.
    I don't understand why people are happy about these changes, they don't address the any of the core problems with the Azerite System as far as I can tell, in fact these changes seem to be doubling down on what is currently wrong with Azerite Gear.

• 1. You cannot target specific Azerite pieces with specific traits outside of raids or mythic 0.
    • 2. People who play multiple specs or even the same spec but for different situations (pvp, raids, mythic+) will still need to carry around multiple sets of Azerite gear if they want to avoid the outrageous cost of reforging, although, having to keep multiple sets of gear for different situations is not a new thing, it just seems more daunting to get that gear with the current level of RNG tied Azerite gear this expansion. (see #1)
    • 3. There are always going to be some traits that are better than other traits, it doesn't matter how much you nerf, buff or "tune" traits, if people are not able to target a piece of gear to get the particular traits they want, all sense of character progression goes out the window. On top of which, finally getting lucky enough to get the right pieces with the right traits only to find out the next "tuning" pass just made those traits useless does not feel great.
    • 4. Doesn't "tuning" all the traits to be so close to each other that it makes no difference which trait you pick defeat the purpose of having Azerite gear in the first place?
    • 5. Azerite gear as a reward from doing the Emissary daily is still a lottery.
    • 6. Unless you are adding new Azerite gear to the Emissary rewards they are still going to be the same pieces of Azerite gear at ilvl 370 as they were at ilvl 335. (oh look another fairweather, gravethorn, seafarer, I forget the name of the of the other ones, with the same horrible traits but at a higher ilvl). Really?
    • 7. Adding a new ring of traits on top of the current traits is going to make this system even more convoluted than it already is - or needs to be.
    • 8. Why are Azerite pieces not allowed to drop in mythic+?

I appreciate that you are trying to address the problems but it feels like you are completely missing the mark on this.
    10/03/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Notprotspec
    Why not also making it available in Mythic+?

not available to everyone.
    10/04/2018 08:47 AMPosted by Illyra
    6. Unless you are adding new Azerite gear to the Emissary rewards they are still going to be the same pieces of Azerite gear at ilvl 370 as they were at ilvl 335. (oh look another fairweather, gravethorn, seafarer, I forget the name of the of the other ones, with the same horrible traits but at a higher ilvl). Really?

Gonk Outrunner's Vest? I've gotten around 12 of those now lol
    10/04/2018 08:53 AMPosted by Raevor
    10/03/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Notprotspec
    Why not also making it available in Mythic+?

not available to everyone.

He said also, not exclusively.
    Not so much Fact: The Azerite system is their NEWEST and SHINIEST development and will NOT be remove or drastically overhauled.

Reason: The dev team has worked hard on it and wants players to experience their new system.

Fact: Blizzard dev team land locks the entire player base when new expansions are released.

Reason: The dev team does not want players to fly over their hard work.

I have a feeling that the developers are going to make us "experience" their hard work (Azerite Armor).

And it seems most of the changes stated in the blue post, were already in the pipeline.
    I don't understand why people are happy about these changes, they don't address the any of the core problems with the Azerite System...

• 1. You cannot target specific Azerite pieces with specific traits outside of raids or mythic 0.....

I appreciate that you are trying to address the problems but it feels like you are completely missing the mark on this.....

I think you are missing some key ideas about game design. It has been common in WoW for everyone to be able to get "good enough" gear for easily while making it a hard farm/grind to get the perfectly balanced piece of gear.

Until now, it was hard to get even "good enough" azerite armor. This addresses the availability problem. Further, there is flexibility built into the system to get more of the "better traits". Perfect set of traits? Not easily.
    It's clear the developers want azerite to be this expansion's source of gameplay flavor. If that's the case, you should want the gear to be plentiful so players can swap in what they want to use situationally, and be able to bank several items with varying traits. Then you could focus on balancing the traits against each other assuming players have access to most/all of the ones they want.

Instead, you have removed all choice and targetability beyond ilvl 340. There are ZERO pieces with the trait I want in Uldir. Tough luck Naya, you have to hope and pray that your weekly M+ chest doesn't contain yet another crappy Poisoned Wire piece. Now I can hope and pray that my emissary 1. has an azerite piece and 2. gives me a trait I actually want.

This has been a huge problem since at least Legion. I don't understand the mindset you guys have. You want to give the players different playstyle options, but then you double down and gate those options behind *terrible* RNG. Legendaries were a great idea in theory, but you didn't want to make them common because that doesn't feel "legendary." You don't have to make the same bloody mistake with azerite. Make it common so that you can focus your efforts on balancing the traits themselves against each other in different situations. Make it targetable so that people can choose the ones they want based on the playstyle they want. Yes, there will be people that min-max and pick "the best" traits, but if you can spend more time balancing the traits themselves why is that a problem? More choice = good. Less choice = bad.

Keep the emissary option as planned.
    Also add them to M+ end of dungeon chests.
    Also add them somehow to PVP (I have no idea how PVP rewards work, so won't say how)
    While alright ideas, you're still doubling down on an absolutely garbage gearing system

Just axe it and move on
    If you don't want people to reforge, why even add it to the game at all? That's what's crazy about all this. Let's put this reforging feature in with this ridiculous gold requirement, because we actually don't want them to use it.

I think the best way to solve that issue would just be to allow you to chose your rings once per spec. So if you are PROT, you chose your talents, and they are set. You switch to FURY and they reset and you chose them for fury. You switch to ARMS and they reset and you chose them for arms. Then, all your talents are already chosen on a piece of gear across all specs. You cannot rechoose them at this point, and NOW is when reforging should come in. People won't need to do it nearly as often so the crazy high reforging cost won't be as impactful.

Instead you are adding a second outer ring? You are adding fuel to the fire.
    10/03/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Lore
    We need to make Azerite Armor more available, for all types of players, through a method everyone can utilize. So we’re actually looking at Emissary rewards for that. The plan is to make Azerite Armor rewards from Emissary quests scale all the way up to 370 (based on your item level), which gives everyone a new, reliable source for appropriate gear. Further on, we’re looking at making some further improvements to the ways Emissaries reward gear, but getting more Azerite Armor in your hands is the higher priority for the immediate future.

I have a suggestion for a better way to get Azerite gear.

When running a dungeon, let's say heroic or higher, each boss will drop a special item, a currency, let's call it a "badge". With enough of those "badges" you can go to a vendor, and buy a specific piece of gear that matches what you are looking for.

The best part is this is built in bad luck prevention. No worry about getting the same slot of gear X times in a row. It gives a nice clear goal and shows you your progression towards it.

Sounds great doesn't it?