Upcoming Azerite Armor Improvements

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Prev 1 2 3 4 45 Next
Thank you this is an excellent start.
I'm a little hesitant to be excited about this. More traits and better isn't super reassuring when the current system is so crap.

Doubling down on a system you have already failed at seems like a recipe for disaster and none of these changes fix the current bleed of players because the existing system is terrible.

Anything been done to add some meat back into the classes/specs? Most have been severely stripped back since legion and "Moar azerite laddie!" doesn't fix my busted clunky rotations.

Edit; I kinda assume at this point the extra set of traits is meant to fatten up the specs a little but honestly that isn't good enough. Why the hell should I need to get lucky or farm for certain gear in order for my specs to play at a level that is worse than most other expansions hot baseline?

This is specs been dependant on legendarys to play well all over again but with out even having the consolation prize of artifact traits.
Can we relook at the reforge/respec cost of azerite gear? The price of needing to play off spec gets to be obnoxiously expensive far too quickly.
One last change I'de like to see:
I don't have time to farm tons of AP, so, at the moment, i am completely unmotivated to farm AP, since the lvl that is required changes drastically depending on the source of my azerite armor.

I suggest that, instead of scaling the required AP with ilvl, make it scale with ilvl range, for example, 280-300 = 1,2,3, 4. 300-330 = 5, 10, 15, 20. 330-370 = 10,15,20,25. for a simple example. If I get an upgraded azerite armor drop, I should not feel like i'm losing a trait that I worked so hard farming AP to gain, only for it to be taken away because I got a new piece of loot. Makes it feel a lot less rewarding.
10/03/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Lore
Lack of Agency:

Looks like someone read Reddit today.
Thanks for all of the continued feedback and discussion around the Azerite Armor system. We’ve been following the community discussions closely, and the systems team has been focusing on making some improvements as their top priority. I’ve got some updates to share on our current thoughts, as well as some upcoming changes.

To start, here’s some of the bigger issues we’ve been seeing brought up:
  • Overall Availability: While there’s plenty of Azerite Armor in the 295-340 item level range, further sources are heavily limited and susceptible to bad luck. Even players who are doing a wide range of high-end content are still wearing at least one Item Level 340 piece, despite having replaced all their other gear several times over. Everything else about the system is basically irrelevant if you can’t get your hands on the gear in the first place.
  • Lack of Agency: When items do drop, it can feel like you’re not really given much in the way of options. You can choose whether you want this to be a Fire or a Frost piece, or a versatile one with a generic trait, but that isn’t necessarily an interesting choice. And when you look at the complete package, those choices don’t often feel like they’re having a meaningful impact on how you play your character.
  • Trait Depth: Several of the traits that are considered the “best” mathematically turn out to be some of the simplest mechanically, which reinforces the sense that the system isn’t really affecting gameplay.

We agree that those issues need to be resolved. So, here’s a few changes we’re working on:
  • We need to make Azerite Armor more available, for all types of players, through a method everyone can utilize. So we’re actually looking at Emissary rewards for that. The plan is to make Azerite Armor rewards from Emissary quests scale all the way up to 370 (based on your item level), which gives everyone a new, reliable source for appropriate gear. Further on, we’re looking at making some further improvements to the ways Emissaries reward gear, but getting more Azerite Armor in your hands is the higher priority for the immediate future.
  • When we add new Azerite Armor in what we’re calling “BfA Season 2” (starting with Siege of Zuldazar and its corresponding Mythic+ and PvP seasons), we’re going to add another outer ring to those pieces of gear that has two spec-specific trait options for each spec. This effectively means that your favorite traits will be available on a lot more items, while also opening up a lot more options across the scope of all of your Azerite pieces (and thus, we hope, create more interesting decisions).
  • We’re also going to continue to work on the individual traits themselves. We’ve done some basic tuning so far, but we’re taking the lessons we’ve learned from these first iterations forward, and Tides of Vengeance will bring new traits into the pool that reflect that. Our goal is to make the more generic traits be decent middle-of-the-road options for when you want to use a single piece for multiple situations or specs, but make sure the spec-specific options (which are generally the more interesting traits) win out in their respective environments.

Some of those changes won’t be coming until Tides of Vengeance (and you’ll see them on the PTR soon), but the overall availability of Azerite Armor is a much more pressing concern, so we’re investigating ways of hotfixing that directly into the live game. I don’t have a solid timeline on when that might be yet, but we’ll definitely have more information to share as soon as we can confirm when that can happen.

Yeah, when are we getting pvp vendors
your availability fix is emissary rewards? so basically theres still n oway to target the pieces we want, we have to simply have the same pieces regurgitated to us over and over again from emissary cache until we get the right one. got it.

the whole "well every trait should be desireable" argument is valid enough, but there are still some traits that shine in certain situations, whereas other pieces are valuable because they have better primary and secondary traits

bro, just let them drop from m+. come on
Can we NOT put more importance on world quests. I seriously wish world quests as a whole were tied to the back of a pick up truck and drug down a dirt road at this point.

Imagine doing the same set of quests for two years over and over and over and over and over. It's boring content and it isn't enjoyable.
Still feels like RNG is dominating this system. Waiting for the right Emissary reward is just another "wait and see" approach. I would much prefer being able to target the armor I need from M+.

As hybrids, armor feels more punishing to use compared to other specs. I would much prefer to be able to swap specs and use a spec specific trait on the same piece of armor instead of carrying around multiple pieces to swap sets based on the situation.

My healing traits vary based on PvP and PvE for example, same with dps traits. I can't possibly do all modes of the game at an optimum level due to high reforging costs and low RNG drop rates for the gear I need.

Even if I compiled 4 different sets of 370+ azerite armor, it would be extremely annoying having to carry all those pieces of gear for the remainder of the expansion.

1. Let azerite armor drop from M+.
2. Let us use the same piece but with different traits based on specs.
The plan is to make Azerite Armor rewards from Emissary quests scale all the way up to 370

.............................WHY? Stop giving casuals free loot. Of all the solutions possible this IS NOT one of them. PLEASE JUST PUT THEM IN MYTHIC PLUS.
Blizzard you are still not getting the point!! Get rid of the azerite gear. Bring back tier sets and take the traits and add them as level 110 & 120 talents. Stop putting a bandaid on a broken system
What about azerite availability in 8.1?:

Will Emissaries scale up to heroic Siege of Zuldazar Raid?
Will there be changes to the weekly chest?
Will there be more drops in the new raid? (e.g. 3 drops per slot, instead of 1-2 per slot)
Thank you! Getting some traits on specific pieces obligates you to certain activities or certain -even- World bosses. It's good to read that work is put into that :)

we’re going to add another outer ring to those pieces of gear that has two spec-specific trait options for each spec.

Perhaps a reforge can be added in a way the outer ring could return ANY trait?
IMHO.
Thank you Lore! This definitely isn't going to be a "one thing fixes everything" problem, but I really like the increased availability for azerite gear and this will make playing alts actually possible and appealing for me. This is a great first step imo.
Yes these are some great changes!

PLEASE - just let Azerite drop from M+, they can already drop up to heroic raiding level gear, it would make availability of Azerite alot more plentiful, while making it a goal to achieve still through M+.
10/03/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Negative
Can we relook at the reforge/respec cost of azerite gear? The price of needing to play off spec gets to be obnoxiously expensive far too quickly.

Or, each spec should let you choose what traits you want, and those traits are saved with the spec. So, the next time you swap specs, your traits are saved from when you chose them. When you get a new item, you set your current spec traits, via the normal UI, if you want to configure your offspec traits, switch to your offspec and choose them for that. You get to choose them for free for the first time, for each spec. If you reforge, it could reset all specs at once, to make the implementation a bit easier.
Thanks for all of the continued feedback and discussion around the Azerite Armor system. We’ve been following the community discussions closely, and the systems team has been focusing on making some improvements as their top priority. I’ve got some updates to share on our current thoughts, as well as some upcoming changes.

To start, here’s some of the bigger issues we’ve been seeing brought up:
  • Overall Availability: While there’s plenty of Azerite Armor in the 295-340 item level range, further sources are heavily limited and susceptible to bad luck. Even players who are doing a wide range of high-end content are still wearing at least one Item Level 340 piece, despite having replaced all their other gear several times over. Everything else about the system is basically irrelevant if you can’t get your hands on the gear in the first place.
  • Lack of Agency: When items do drop, it can feel like you’re not really given much in the way of options. You can choose whether you want this to be a Fire or a Frost piece, or a versatile one with a generic trait, but that isn’t necessarily an interesting choice. And when you look at the complete package, those choices don’t often feel like they’re having a meaningful impact on how you play your character.
  • Trait Depth: Several of the traits that are considered the “best” mathematically turn out to be some of the simplest mechanically, which reinforces the sense that the system isn’t really affecting gameplay.

We agree that those issues need to be resolved. So, here’s a few changes we’re working on:
  • We need to make Azerite Armor more available, for all types of players, through a method everyone can utilize. So we’re actually looking at Emissary rewards for that. The plan is to make Azerite Armor rewards from Emissary quests scale all the way up to 370 (based on your item level), which gives everyone a new, reliable source for appropriate gear. Further on, we’re looking at making some further improvements to the ways Emissaries reward gear, but getting more Azerite Armor in your hands is the higher priority for the immediate future.
  • When we add new Azerite Armor in what we’re calling “BfA Season 2” (starting with Siege of Zuldazar and its corresponding Mythic+ and PvP seasons), we’re going to add another outer ring to those pieces of gear that has two spec-specific trait options for each spec. This effectively means that your favorite traits will be available on a lot more items, while also opening up a lot more options across the scope of all of your Azerite pieces (and thus, we hope, create more interesting decisions).
  • We’re also going to continue to work on the individual traits themselves. We’ve done some basic tuning so far, but we’re taking the lessons we’ve learned from these first iterations forward, and Tides of Vengeance will bring new traits into the pool that reflect that. Our goal is to make the more generic traits be decent middle-of-the-road options for when you want to use a single piece for multiple situations or specs, but make sure the spec-specific options (which are generally the more interesting traits) win out in their respective environments.

Some of those changes won’t be coming until Tides of Vengeance (and you’ll see them on the PTR soon), but the overall availability of Azerite Armor is a much more pressing concern, so we’re investigating ways of hotfixing that directly into the live game. I don’t have a solid timeline on when that might be yet, but we’ll definitely have more information to share as soon as we can confirm when that can happen.

Also, Warlock PVP buffs not till 8.1 WITH DEMON ARMOR? REALLY?! REALLY?! 3 MONTHS AFTER RELEASE TO BE A VIABLE CLASS. NOT SPEC. CLASS! A VIABLE CLASS! THAT IS INFURIATING!
i mean, this was all obvious since beta, but better late than never
10/03/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Dustydh
Why are you letting people get HEROIC LEVEL GEAR from emissaries?????????????

The emissaries will SCALE to heroic level based on your existing gear, so if you are getting heroic level gear then you already have a heroic level item level (or close to it). It helps those people fill in gaps and counter bad luck.
Thanks for these changes. This should help quite a bit with getting up to the heroic-level.

I still think there's a gap in how the system will work at the mythic-level, though. Essentially I can either get it from raiding or from an extremely low chance on my M+ cache. Has there been any discussion into going back to the multi-item chest system that existed in beta? That is, the chest would always drop your normal piece of loot, and occasionally drop an Azerite piece. That would be much more inline with the old Legendary system, and would mesh well with BLP (the current system's BLP will eventually end up being something that increases your chances of getting a piece in a slot you don't need).

Also, just for clarification on this part:
When we add new Azerite Armor in what we’re calling “BfA Season 2”
Does that mean Azerite armor we get in the chest that would have come from 8.0 dungeons (maybe at a +15 or whatever 8.1's m+ level is) will end up with 5 rings as well, or does this only apply to the new dungeons/raids?