Classic wow is a joke

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 16 Next
10/01/2018 06:16 AMPosted by Rasoni
I see all this big talk about people saying they are leaving to play classic wow.

That’s going to last a few days at most and they will be bored to tears. I mean come on you are telling us you are going to be happy with a level 60 level cap and the only raids will be molten core and bwl. Yeah sure and I have ocean front property in Arizona I need to sell you.

Why are you so invested in what other people do or don't do with thier game time?
10/01/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Tinyshadow
Sure many people will play it, but I believe most people will play it for like a month or two... it doesn't take long for the the nostalgia feelings to end.

So longer than BFA. I still dont understand what point you are trying to make.
10/01/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Farminghorde
Everquest releases classic progression servers every now and then and while they aren't a true classic experience, they are still enormously popular even to the point of surpassing retail servers.

Classic WoW will be a smash hit beyond belief. Get ready.

This is retail players greatest fear rofl. This is the sole reason these threads exist. They know BFA is trash and they know people will jump ship.

F.E.A.R

Easy to price Classic so it doesn't cannabalize live WoW subs.
10/01/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Lumindor
Nostalgia.

You don't need nostalgia for good games to remain good games. Opinion: Super Metroid will forever be a good game. Ocarina of Time will forever be a good game. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo will forever be a good game. No matter how many times I play them, the feel and experience of playing them is still satisfying. Every game has slow points or obtuse elements that people here and there would rather bypass... it does not invalidate their status of being overall well crafted experiences.

There is no nostalgia required to enjoy something again that I've also enjoyed in the past. I don't eat chicken because of nostalgia... I eat it because it tasted good in 2004 and still tastes good in 2018.
I doubt people will get bored with classic. It will take most people a solid month just to get to cap. Where I think people will fall off, is after leveling.

Classic wont have the population to sustain the amount of strath live and dead runs, mc attuning or any other inane end game content loops needed. There will be a few guilds who do their progression, but there will not be enough community to get the rest of the people engaged.

Also if you think raid prep is awfully expensive in BfA, classic is gonna be a hell of a wake up call. Especially for those Warlocks and Hunters out there.
10/01/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Zirà
I doubt people will get bored with classic. It will take most people a solid month just to get to cap. Where I think people will fall off, is after leveling.

I dunno about that. I think the dropoff for those who were in vanilla will start happening around level 20-30.

Lots of players know the 1-59 quests in vanilla, BC and Wrath. I did almost all of the quests on Alliance and Horde. Why would I enjoy doing them again? People will get to Thelsemar and then think, ugh, next is Wetlands or from Barrens to ugh, ugh, Thousand Needles.
Did somebody order a knuckle sandwich?

Leveling weapon proficiency is going to be... ummm... fun?

I started playing just a few months before they removed all of that. If the cost to play isn’t prohibitive, I will give it a spin and see.

But I don’t see myself quitting current WoW over it. Probably just switch back and forth depending on my mood at the moment.
inb4 mods funnel this trash post to classic forums to dump it on us instead of throwing it out like it deserves

because apparently classic forums is not a place to discuss classic wow but a place to have to constantly explain to haters why we like it
10/01/2018 12:16 PMPosted by Kylidi
inb4 mods funnel this trash post to classic forums to dump it on us instead of throwing it out like it deserves

because apparently classic forums is not a place to discuss classic wow but a place to have to constantly explain to haters why we like it

I think these threads should be considered trolling. Honestly thats all they are.

OP was the type of player who couldn't make it to 60 in classic.
I see all this big talk about people saying they are leaving to play classic wow.

That’s going to last a few days at most and they will be bored to tears. I mean come on you are telling us you are going to be happy with a level 60 level cap and the only raids will be molten core and bwl. Yeah sure and I have ocean front property in Arizona I need to sell you.

Let people who enjoy classic enjoy classic. I find it funny how this forum can hate stuff like crz, lfr, useless professions, and all the new systems like infinite azerite armor/ap grinds and then do a 180 and say "classic is bad cus grind lul".

Yes classic was a grind but the grind was like climbing a mountain instead of running around in a hamster wheel. Plus players didn't think of the only worthwhile content being max lvl content. Yes max lvl is a goal everyone wants to achieve, but at the same time there was no shortage of people to meet and play with at lower levels. The questing world wasn't barren like it is these days.

I love classic wow because it feels a lot more like an rpg to me. No crz, tons of server community, much more immersion.
It might not be aimed at the current player base. There have been over 100 million people that have tried WoW. I expect some of these people know exactly how classic was and know exactly what to expect.

private server populations directly contradict your opinion.
Only people leaving retail to play classic are ones who use to play on third party vanilla servers that have been shut down. Anyone outside of that category will play vanilla for maybe a year at most then come back to retail
Nah, playing a shaman on a private classic server right now and having more fun than I have in the entirety of BFA. I've logged onto my retail account once in the last 2 weeks while I've put several days of played time into vanilla and am having plenty of fun despite its flaws. It's not as though modern WoW doesn't have just as bad (actually worse) flaws, they're just different flaws. /shrug

A buddy of mine jokingly said they made BFA so terrible to draw more people to classic and at first we laughed about it but now it seems way too real...
Sorry but you are wrong. You would be surprised how many people prefer the older games. Just look at Old School Runescape. The current version of runescape is better and has more to do but OSRS is more popular. Let's not even get into single palyer games. Plenty of people still play Morrowind and Oblivion long after Skyrim came out.
10/01/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Roran
Sorry but you are wrong. You would be surprised how many people prefer the older games. Just look at Old School Runescape. The current version of runescape is better and has more to do but OSRS is more popular. Let's not even get into single palyer games. Plenty of people still play Morrowind and Oblivion long after Skyrim came out.

Not as many as you think. At this point Skyrim and Morrowind and even old runescape is played by a vocal minority.

Actual numbers are likely low, even nost server had around 150k active subs, but a peak of about 12k players on at all times.

Classic wow will have probably a steady 100k active accounts after the initial hype phase. You're going to have a TON of players coming into classic and quitting because they have to grind levels, and it takes time to level, and they have to replenish ammo, and they don't have a mount right off the bat etc.. current wow players have been conditioned with QoL improvements throughout the last 14 years. It'll be hard to go back.

And the biggest one will be that there won't be a dungeon finder. (at least I hope to god that there wont)

Also more than likely classic wow will need a current sub at the very least.

All those things will keep the active player base pretty low compared to other games. Classic wow is a nostalgia tool to get people who quit to come back, fork over a sub again and play the game until they remember how tedious and elitist vanilla was.
I'll give it a shot, I have a few old zones that give me the feels. I want to see Sunken Temple not Shrunken Temple.
10/01/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Farminghorde

This is retail players greatest fear rofl. This is the sole reason these threads exist. They know BFA is trash and they know people will jump ship.

F.E.A.R

Easy to price Classic so it doesn't cannabalize live WoW subs.

Guaranteed they will have classic "servers". That way, the sub numbers will be inflated, and combined with Retail server numbers.
Look at the state of BFA right now and how awful it is, I think people will play Classic for longer than you think.
10/01/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Roran

I think Morrowind and Oblivion are free to play if you own the games already. Free for me. Runescape is what, $11 per month for new players?