Classic wow is a joke

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 16 Next
Molten Core and Blackwing Lair...and Onyxias Lair, An'Quiraj 20/40, Naxxramas, Zul'Gurub, Upper Blackrock Spire. Did the OP ever play Vanilla? I guess not.

There may not have been technically as much to do, but the things there were to do took longer and more effort to get done. It sure kept people's attention for quite a while before burning Crusade came out.

And I can promise you there are plenty of people who remember exactly what it was like and not just looking back on it through nostalgia. And those people are still excited to play it. Not sure why it bothers people so much. They should probably worry about themselves more.
Classic had dungeons, raids, and BGs. That's it. That's all there was to do at end game. Not to mention that it's not new content. Everybody already knows the raids so they will blow through the content as fast as they can gear for it.

No world quests, no daily quests, no flying, no dungeon finder, only 1 dungeon and raid difficulty, and much more. I'm sure some players will stick around, but I do feel that most are just wearing their nostalgia glasses and will try it out for a few weeks/months and come back. Or quit the game entirely.
It won’t be true classic. I fully expect them to mess it up and completely miss the mark. Also OP sounds super insecure like she has something to lose if it goes well.
As somebody who played vanilla I can't see why I would devote the same massive time investment I did back then for just old content and all the frustrations of how the game was back then. I really do not want to do stuff like devote like 8 hours of life to Blackrock Depths only to have the group fall apart before the end for millionth time, or grind out the gold for an epic mount.

Pretty much the only things I would be interested in would be ringing the AQ gong (literally never going to happen) or experiencing Naxx 40, which I missed out on in both vanilla and TBC.
10/01/2018 06:16 AMPosted by Rasoni
I see all this big talk about people saying they are leaving to play classic wow.

That’s going to last a few days at most and they will be bored to tears. I mean come on you are telling us you are going to be happy with a level 60 level cap and the only raids will be molten core and bwl. Yeah sure and I have ocean front property in Arizona I need to sell you.

OP in a nutshell: "STOP HAVING FUN!"
The fact that they are releasing Classic at all indicates that they don't believe Classic will merely steal Live subs (apart from the initial curiosity phase).

They're recognizing that Live—and the direction they intend to take Live in—will not appeal to a substantial portion of former/current WoW players.

Rather than trying to keep both audiences happy, or favoring one strongly over the other, they think it's best to have two separate products for two separate audiences.

TL;DR: If you hate the idea of Classic, you're not the target audience for Classic. If you're seriously going to play Classic instead of Live, you're not the target audience for Live.
BFA is also a joke

Pick your poison, I'd perfer Vanilla since atleast we might get TBC down the line
10/01/2018 06:38 AMPosted by Surora
Classic had dungeons, raids, and BGs. That's it. That's all there was to do at end game. Not to mention that it's not new content. Everybody already knows the raids so they will blow through the content as fast as they can gear for it.

No world quests, no daily quests, no flying, no dungeon finder, only 1 dungeon and raid difficulty, and much more. I'm sure some players will stick around, but I do feel that most are just wearing their nostalgia glasses and will try it out for a few weeks/months and come back. Or quit the game entirely.

The same boring argument of nostalgia glasses. Why can't people just accept we remember clearly what it was like, some of us may have played on private vanilla servers within the last several years. Why can't people accept that some of us may be perfectly fine with what vanilla was like?

Get over yourself thinking we're so stupid we don't know what we're asking for.
Why do you care? How does it impact you? Those folks will be on classic playing you'll be playing on current content servers....won't even run across each other in game.
10/01/2018 06:30 AMPosted by Comedy
Classic WoW needs to be more like Classic WoW enhanced with a new raid released every 6 months. Probably even include mythic + dungeons, x-realm group finder, and frequent tuning updates. It'll be like none of the expansions ever happened. Also, race servers so people can compete against one another for raid kills that have a reset period. Should also bring arena and rated bg's into the fold. They're better than the classic system.

If they do it any other way, it's going to fade out quickly. Like WoD and the 10 year anniversary event.

It is already going to be enhanced because the quests wont be broken, talents not working and server crashes and lag because its only hosted in eastern europe BS While some private servers were okay quality none were ever and will ever be blizzard quality.
and the only raids will be molten core and bwl.

...and ZG...and Onyxia...and AQ20...and AQ40...and Naxx...

And don't forget that Scholomance and UBRS were also 15-man raids back then.

EDIT: And if we're getting really technical, Thunderaan also required a raid to kill. Also IIRC there were a couple of world bosses around back then as well.
I see all this big talk about people saying they are leaving to play classic wow.

That’s going to last a few days at most and they will be bored to tears. I mean come on you are telling us you are going to be happy with a level 60 level cap and the only raids will be molten core and bwl. Yeah sure and I have ocean front property in Arizona I need to sell you.

I get a strong feeling classic will turn into progression servers.

Every year or so they bring in another old expansion and fix the mistakes they made with each. They will keep old talent trees active and add to it. Tier sets won't go away.
I think most people who miss Classic are missing what has been removed from the game over the many years, or are new players who are just interested in the opportunity to see something that hasn't been around.

You're always going to have the different camps of people who liked it for different reasons. I, personally, miss the feeling of class fantasy that seems to have dissolved over time. The 'RPG' feeling of the game has been trimmed and sheared so much that the little things I really enjoyed in Classic are all but gone from the game now.

Do I miss the 40 hour raid weeks? Oh, heck no. I don't miss getting 39 other people online at once. I don't really miss encounters that were less tactical because the only real tactic was, 'Can we corral 40 cats into hitting the same damn thing: The Raid.'

But I have fond memories of losing myself in UBRS/LBRS/BRD. I miss the immersion of those large, expansive dungeons that really made the game feel more like an RPG. I have fond memories of the Paladin and Warlock mount quests, and getting my Benediction/Anathaema is still one of those moments that I avidly talk about - and I know many Vanilla hunter friends that speak just as happily about their bow.

On some level, I understand that many of the changes were made because we're shifting generations and the company needed to get with the times, and it was easier to churn out content when dungeons and raids were shorter, and when you could offer more content for less of a time investment.

On another, I just miss feeling like I achieved something. Is it enough to keep me in Classic for longer than maybe a month? Nah. If I want to play Classic, I can level to 60 in the game and lock myself there, and do pretty much everything with really only mild variations.

But I get that some people want that authentic experience. It's just one of those things that they have to learn for themselves, and as the outcry proved rather largely, there is a market for it. No matter if we think it's a waste of time or not.

Of course, all that really served to prove is that if you can beg for it long enough, they'll bend and break.

They'll also have Zul'gurub, Ahn'Quiraj (20/40), Onyxia, Nightmare Dragons, Azuregos, Kazzak, and Naxxramas.

Still won't be able to get my plain white/black mounts, though! GRR.

I think there are some lessons to be learned from Classic WoW that modern devs need to pay attention to. That said, I mostly agree. In fact, I'm half way inclined to put on my tin foil fedora here and say that Blizz is trying to "New Coke" us.

Well memed Friend!
10/01/2018 06:30 AMPosted by Issaru
Molten Core and Blackwing Lair...and Onyxias Lair, An'Quiraj 20/40, Naxxramas, Zul'Gurub, Upper Blackrock Spire. Did the OP ever play Vanilla? I guess not.

There may not have been technically as much to do, but the things there were to do took longer and more effort to get done. It sure kept people's attention for quite a while before burning Crusade came out.

And I can promise you there are plenty of people who remember exactly what it was like and not just looking back on it through nostalgia. And those people are still excited to play it. Not sure why it bothers people so much. They should probably worry about themselves more.

I believe they will streamline some of the content. I doubt resists will be prominent for raiding as killing low level bosses for "BiS. Fire resist " gear is a joke. That's not progression but more of an artificial barrier to trivial encounters.

I again raiding will keep the mechanics which by today's standards are a joke and some make encounters DPS checks.
10/01/2018 06:30 AMPosted by Comedy
Classic WoW needs to be more like Classic WoW enhanced with a new raid released every 6 months. Probably even include mythic + dungeons, x-realm group finder, and frequent tuning updates. It'll be like none of the expansions ever happened. Also, race servers so people can compete against one another for raid kills that have a reset period. Should also bring arena and rated bg's into the fold. They're better than the classic system.

If they do it any other way, it's going to fade out quickly. Like WoD and the 10 year anniversary event.
That would ruin classic for like 90% of people that wants to play classic...we dont want mythics or x-realm or anything else.

Classic means classic.

Maybe make a classic+ server for that.
The thing I'm excited for the most in classic is another chance to get the original corrupt ashbringer, and a hope that mogs would still be cross account even with classic server which I HIGHLY doubt
Honestly, why do you care what other people play or don't play? Can someone answer that?

I started in the beginning of BC, so I never experienced actual Vanilla. However, it seemed like BC was pretty similar, just a little bit more fine tuned. I'm excited for Vanilla because it will simply be a different type of game than we have now. Pretty much a second game all together. Will I stop playing live? Doubtful. Will I try out Classic? You bet I will!

While I enjoy the faster pace of current WoW (as most people enjoy instant gratification) and do think live WoW has a ton of quality of life improvements, I'm excited just to play a different set of challenges that were prevalent in classic.

I still enjoy playing Old School Runescape. And the story of OSRS is very similar to how classic WoW came to be. OSRS is very grindy, can be very slow paced. However, I enjoy it.

Games like Classic WoW and OSRS are very different than live WoW. And THAT IS OK PEOPLE!!! 99% of games are not like WoW, and you aren't making posts about people enjoying The Witcher 3. Get over it.

Maybe make a classic+ server for that.

See, this right here is EXACTLY why this will fail. "Classic" means so many things to so many people that it effectively has no definition at all. When 90% of the interested player base realizes Blizzard is not catering specifically to their head cannoesque notions about what Classic servers should be, this experiment is over and the pirate servers will be back in full force.