So I finally started playing Horde side

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
09/28/2018 01:14 PMPosted by Enekie
Excuse me what, may I ask, is so boring about helping a pair of Night Elves navigate their one-sided, loveless marriage over the course of six expansions oh wait I see

I've been thinking about this, and at first I thought it might actually be a no-sided loveless marriage. It finally occurred to me that you might mean it's on Tyrande's side only, because Malfurion rarely seems to realize he has responsibilities, people, or a wife.
Most days Malfurion doesn't realize he's got antlers.
09/28/2018 06:41 PMPosted by Azhaar
Most days Malfurion doesn't realize he's got antlers.
Honestly since I found out that Malfurions wings are strapped to his arms not really his wings I’m convinced he’s cosplay playing as a natures Illidan
When will we get a storyline about finally finally Tyrande a GF because she's absolutely over this political marriage b/s and it's so apparent

broke: Making a reason the Horde has to be an aggressor like, every other xpac because Blizz doesn't know what to do with the Alliance half the time

woke: Explore Genn's bigotry, Anduin's struggle keeping peace/order as a young king, or just plain helping Tyrande find a girlfriend. Jaina gets to have a nap because that girl's eyebags have eyebags. Malfurion stops just being weird and dumb for once in his "too scared to be a real furry" life.
Jaina's nap was called Legion.
09/28/2018 07:09 PMPosted by Stag
When will we get a storyline about finally finally Tyrande a GF because she's absolutely over this political marriage b/s and it's so apparent

broke: Making a reason the Horde has to be an aggressor like, every other xpac because Blizz doesn't know what to do with the Alliance half the time

woke: Explore Genn's bigotry, Anduin's struggle keeping peace/order as a young king, or just plain helping Tyrande find a girlfriend. Jaina gets to have a nap because that girl's eyebags have eyebags. Malfurion stops just being weird and dumb for once in his "too scared to be a real furry" life.

I can't find a single thing wrong with this post.
Well heck. I was fine with burning down Teldrassil, but there's a whipping noise when a NEUTRAL Tortollan asked us to chase children.

OP, thank you for opening my dead, Lichfire eyes. I hadn't seen the Horde's evil when we blew up Theramore, Darnassus and Lordaeron, but it's clear to me now. Oh woe is me! I've been enjoying my Horde characters and story for years, and thus being a terrible person IRL :(

I must now quit the Horde POSTHASTE. Anyone know any Alliance employment centres that'd help out overzealous undead Lordaeronians?

/Sarcasm

Tbh I've been an Alliance main from Cata until Legion, and only just this expac started having a main on both factions. I'm enjoying the story. Yeah it's pretty obvious that the Horde is the less nice faction at the moment... But at the end of the day it's a video game. Morality doesn't matter in video games. If it did, we'd be pretty screwed with all the casual murder we do in wow. If I beat several bears to death with a mace just to get their fur irl, I'm a pretty messed up person. But in WoW we don't bat an eye. Not even to mention other video games, like Grand Theft Auto and Skyrim and the like. Morality doesn't make for an interesting story. Not on its own.

Being morally upright doesn't work in every context and I'm not quite sure why we harp on about it so much. This is a game - an escape from reality. It really doesn't seem relevant to always go bashing the Horde, or the Alliance for that matter. It's just a story, and a bit of fun. On both sides.
So, the people who insist that there's something morally wrong with those who play Horde are obviously out there, as far as logical arguments go. However, the opposite side (that there is nothing wrong with the Horde story) is also pretty indefensible. And neither side is being totally honest in what the real problem with the Horde story is.

It's not fun.

Throughout the Horde's storyline, there have been moments of honorable and less than honorable methods, but it's always had an element of fun to it. The Horde was the faction that thought before it acted, charging in against overwhelming odds, no matter how dumb that seemed. The Horde was the faction that did the dirty work to keep the rest of the world moving: incinerating their enemies absolutely so that others wouldn't have to. The Horde was the faction that would chase their enemies across six zones for revenge.

All of that was fun. But slowly, those have stopped being fun.

Instead of being charging in, laughing and screaming at the thrill of a fight, you're terrorizing civilians and stealing corpses.

Instead of doing the noble dirty work because it has to be done, you're always stooping to the lowest possible level just to hurt people.

Instead of chasing down an enemy for justifiable vengeance, you're a hypersensitive, sobbing wreck who will commit any number of atrocities to anyone who hurts your feelings.

"But Enekie!" some might say. "I like those things! I find this plenty fun!"

Which is fine and all. But that massive protest against the Horde being portrayed as genocidal crybabies didn't come out of nowhere. One or two quests where you get to be petty might be fun, but for an entire storyline?

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can still like the Horde and think this particular Horde storyline sucks.
You know what I love (sarcastic love)about these threads. I say I feel bad about something and there’s always someone who feels like I’m attacking them personally. I could even say if you like the Horde story that’s a good thing and great. And still people feel like I’m attacking them. Why?
What I find interesting though is that the vast majority of these protests come from Alliance players and a standpoint of morality.

There's definitely Horde players upset with the current story, and I don't blame them for that. Thrall's noble Horde trying to bury and move past its dark history was a lot of fun. But somehow, I at least don't find them failing that mission to be somehow not fun. Rather, I think it'll give them more to learn from when they finally do remodel their society.

Like extreme Garrosh days, there's no doubt in my mind that this is temporary. Especially with some new 8.1 dialogue from Vol'jin in mind, I don't think we'll see Sylvanas as Horde Warchief indefinitely. I think we're on the path back to the noble savage days, and that Saurfang may well be the bridge to take us there.

I personally just enjoy the journey. I'm confident the destination will be a good one.

And another contention: I play a Forsaken so obviously I'm a fan of undead lore. But I'm not against the war campaign. I'm actually glad to see some specifically Forsaken lore - I've often felt the Eastern Horde races are unfairly lumped into the same story theme as those in the west, when the tribal honor aesthetic has never fit them as much. The Kul Tiran Captain and Tidesage have been really cool examples of two very different ways of coming to terms with undeath, and I'm excited to see what they do with Derek Proudmoore.

Often we seem to have certain races getting the spotlight in patch stories. The orcs have got a crapload of spotlight over the years. (Lord knows I don't need to give examples there) The Trolls got a decent showing in MoP. The Blood Elves were the dominant Horde contribution to the Broken Isles and now the undead are getting a turn. In future I'd like to see more of the Tauren and Goblins too, but I'm content with the undead getting the spotlight this time around. It won't be forever, and in the meantime we get some nice lore. Even in Wrath the Forsaken were something of a sideshow to the orcs, and arguably nobody was as adversely effected by the Scourge as the humans of Lordaeron. I'm enjoying getting some of the spotlight for my (sorta) favourite race now, under the knowledge that it's temporary.
09/28/2018 09:14 PMPosted by Haylan
there’s always someone who feels like I’m attacking them personally.
I think you're taking liberties in assuming peoples' (whoever "people" are) feelings.
You know what I love (sarcastic love)about these threads. I say I feel bad about something and there’s always someone who feels like I’m attacking them personally. I could even say if you like the Horde story that’s a good thing and great. And still people feel like I’m attacking them. Why?

If you're referring to me, I don't feel like your post was a personal attack to anyone.

I just thought it was a silly and insubstantial piece of evidence when trying to convince folks how bad the Horde is.
...Is anyone actually even saying "If you play Horde you are evil IRL"?
09/28/2018 09:24 PMPosted by Sarestha

If you're referring to me, I don't feel like your post was a personal attack to anyone.

I just thought it was a silly and insubstantial piece of evidence when trying to convince folks how bad the Horde is.

I wasn't trying to convince anyone about how bad the Horde is. I'm just complaining about how I dislike the current Horde story.

I honestly can't tell if you're making tangent points, if you are this makes a little bit more sense. To follow up on your second post, I was a Horde player up until this expansion, and part of me really wants to go home, but not in this state.
09/28/2018 09:36 PMPosted by Zhiifang

One guy? I saw one guy do it once like two weeks ago. He was weird. But that’s it, and I’ve been watching these forums for years.

That one kook and his tiny guild that has since disbanded. I don't think anybody took him seriously. I'd advise mocking and ignoring anybody who tries to argue this in seriousness.

Not outright evil, but someone did say i am a person of questionable morals like i voted republican

It was good times

I am. Because I am.
Excuse me what, may I ask, is so boring about helping a pair of Night Elves navigate their one-sided, loveless marriage

night elf females crave the orc male

that is why they provoked us into taking over their lands
You can believe this story or not, but a month or two ago, I took out my Horde wallet in a bar.

A guy sitting nearby screamed "You must like losing in PvP". It was fine, whatever. Nothing very personal or serious. I responded that I don't PvP. He continued being obnoxious.

"That's because you'd lose!" I just snorted and nodded, trying to ignore him. Finally he screamed "but that's what happens when you support fascism and genocide."

Now I have several people in the bar looking at me, having heard this without context, only hearing that I support fascism and genocide.

In short. Is it a rampant problem? No, I wouldn't call it that. But do some people actually hate you for playing Horde? Oh absolutely. It's not a non-existent problem. Just because it's not an epidemic doesn't mean it should be ignored or laughed off as Horde players being drama queens. This !@#$ is real.