2k Pet Journal Cap In Patch 8.1

Pet Battles
8.1 PTR - new item that increases the cap of total battle pets in your journal: Interdimensional Pet Portal.

Costs 1k Polished Pet Charms. Unknown if there are any prerequisites before you can purchase it (such as already having the 1.5k increase).

Thoughts on if there should be any requirements for the 2k increase?

I think it makes sense if the 2k requires already having learned the 1.5k. It also means people that purchased the 1.5k in BFA won't feel like they've wasted charms.

It will definitely make some upset that they'll need to save up even MORE charms to increase the size of their Pet Journal.

Maybe awarding it for completing an achievement might be better? Of course, then we run into the same problem as Legion - once the expansion is over, the content becomes dated, and players entering into the new expansion that missed out have to either go back or skip it entirely.
09/28/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Quintessence
It will definitely make some upset that they'll need to save up even MORE charms to increase the size of their Pet Journal.

Considering the cost required to purchase many pets with Polished Charms, and the amazing rate that they are made available, acquiring this may not even be necessary.
Considering the rate at which I'm getting pet charms, and that I need 5100 for every pet charm pet, I'll get this 2000 pet item approximately in 2021.
Ridiculous grinds for QOL features that should be baseline is Blizzard's MO.
In my opinion, they should add an achievement for completing like 100 KT/Zan Pet Battle World Quests and make it the reward for it.

At 4 quests a day (2 spawn every 12 hours), that's about a month's worth of WQs. That seems reasonable.

Then for after BFA, also have it available on the vendor for 1000 charms for those who wish to just buy it.
For those curious, assuming 1072 different pets in the journal:

There are about 131 pets that are unique and you can't collect more than 1. Assuming you collect all those and 3 of every other pet:

131 + (1072-131)*3 = 2954 possible pets collected

There are about 20 non-combat pets. Assuming you collect 1 each of these. And of the remaining 1052 combat pets, 555 have 1 possible breed, 121 have 2 possible breeds and 376 have 3 or more possible breeds. (from most recent BattlePetBreedID, assuming 3 possible breeds if the number is unknown)

20 + 555 + 121*2 + 376*3 = 1954 possible pets collected
09/28/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Maizou
In my opinion, they should add an achievement for completing like 100 KT/Zan Pet Battle World Quests and make it the reward for it.

At 4 quests a day (2 spawn every 12 hours), that's about a month's worth of WQs. That seems reasonable.

Then for after BFA, also have it available on the vendor for 1000 charms for those who wish to just buy it.

That may seem reasonable for people that just have one character doing Pet Battles but for people with alts grinding up those charms will be the easier option. Honestly speaking in Legion how many characters did players have doing WQ or mission tables.

I believe Blizzard is "tuning" charms around people using alts or buying pets with gold.
09/29/2018 02:02 AMPosted by Gello
20 + 555 + 121*2 + 376*3 = 1954 possible pets collected

Thanks for calculating this!

Thing to note is that the equation doesn't take into account pets that come in multiple colors. There are multiple wild pets and non-wild pets that come in different colors (not all are color-changers). Taking this into account, it would definitely bump a collector's total up above 2k.

One possible work around is to collect only just enough to have at least 1 of each color for each pet type. Not sure how that could be fit into the equation though.
It's possible that you won't be required to buy it at all. The option to buy the 1.5k increase wasn't added until after Legion. Before that you had to complete an achievement for it. A similar approach may be taken here as well.
I'd much rather have charms than have to have RNG.. I type this as once again I am running all my alts for the Wonderous Wisdomball.
If I can't have 3 of every colour of every breed of every pet, it's not enough!

/endsarcasm
it's a start. so something good. glad to see it.
It would be entertaining if Blizzard changed the amount of total pets able to be kept down to 500 with over 1000 unique pets in game.
Recon, I find your definition of entertaining....disturbing. Please don't put such ideas in their heads!
Remove yourself from the equation. (in general to any player)

Try and imagine this aspect of the game as important as it is to many players.
Pretend you had nothing invested in pet collecting / battles. No time, money, blood.
Can you imagine how much anguish would go into deciding which pets to collect and which ones to never have. While that isn't an ideal concept in itself, I can say if you were able to physically watch some people while they decided what to keep and what to release, that would be entertaining. If not for that sole reason.
10/01/2018 03:43 AMPosted by Reconbravo
Remove yourself from the equation. (in general to any player)

Try and imagine this aspect of the game as important as it is to many players.
Pretend you had nothing invested in pet collecting / battles. No time, money, blood.
Can you imagine how much anguish would go into deciding which pets to collect and which ones to never have. While that isn't an ideal concept in itself, I can say if you were able to physically watch some people while they decided what to keep and what to release, that would be entertaining. If not for that sole reason.
I'd dump 499 of the 500 rabits/mice/gophers etc.
10/01/2018 03:43 AMPosted by Reconbravo
able to physically watch some people while they decided
Hm, 'fly on the wall' situation. I guess that could have some humor. But the thought of Blizz actually doing that....not so much.
10/01/2018 08:10 PMPosted by Vertigineux
I'd dump 499 of the 500 rabits
And the moths, and snail/whelk/conch bunch.
09/28/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Quintessence
Thoughts on if there should be any requirements for the 2k increase?

You don't consider coughing up 1K pet charms to be a requirement?
I don't have to imagine it, its what happened to me at the start of Mists. Prior to Mists, each character had their own pet journals. I had 6. Then Mists launches the account-wide journal with an initial pet cap of 500. The squeeks of 720 critters Blizz had somehow managed to jam into a space only big enough for 500 was something to behold (180ish unique plus 500+ duplicates).

All it meant was that I was unable to add any of the new pets until I dropped below the cap. The first things to get culled were non-cageables like duplicate vampire bats, gorlocs and frenzyheart cubs. Then caging and chucking at guildies all the cheap faction-vendor extra ones. Traded the mid- & higher- value ones cross-server for TCG pets and others that I didn't own a copy of. Sold some on the auction house.

Different situation today though, there's more than 1000 unique pets now and any squeeks of protest would come from the forums (and louder) if it happened today.