DH really needs another DPS spec

General Discussion
Having one DPS spec is really boring after a while (I'm not counting hybrid classes or priests, because priests are mainly for healing and hybrid classes give you more options). I love the lore and mobility of the class, but having two specs isn't fun. Every DH is either a DPS or a tank. As other classes, it's cool to group with other classes and see their different abilities while you use yours. For a DPS DH, every other DH inn groups is your spec (unless you happen to get a DH tank in your group)

The new spec doesn't even have to be ranged as to not compete with warlock's theme (although a melee warlock would be interesting). I just want something different.

I'm getting sick of havoc, and I don't like tanking in this expansion at all. I seriously don't know what they were thinking when they implemented one DPS spec to a class. Imagine if they took away Unholy from DKs and being stuck with either Blood or Frost (both similar in gameplay). That's how it feels.
We wouldn't mind you getting a ranged DPS spec If Blizz finally gave us back Meta with a Tank Demonology spec
lol.. just have to say..
Hunters
1 spec.. BM
SV is not a true hunter spec and MM is dead.
DH is just like rogues, hunters, mage, etc the list goes on.
I understand what you're saying OP, and the truth is they probably just didn't have any really good or interesting ideas for a second DPS spec. Some classes' DPS specs currently in game already have issues with feeling unique, or in some cases even feeling functional. My guess is that they settled on creating one solid DPS spec (Havoc is a good time) rather than trying to shoe-horn in another one just for the sake of having three specs for the class.

I know this wasn't particularly helpful, but I guess what I'm trying to say is... your third spec was sacrificed so druids could have four specs. Take it up with Malf.

I'm getting sick of havoc, and I don't like tanking in this expansion at all. I seriously don't know what they were thinking when they implemented one DPS spec to a class.

Well the simple reason is that in most cases, the large majority of people that play a dps class will always choose the spec that does the most dps. For instance, back in WoD Blizzard didn't like too many people playing demonology so they nerfed it very hard; which was sad, as for one expansion that was a good spec to play, but apparently in Ion's words it was a 'complicated' spec to play. Same with DK's, let's be honest, Frost DK's are a lot more common than Unholy DK's.

Also on the point you made about 'it doesn't matter if it's not a range dps' I disagree with that, see there's a HUGE, huge difference between an elemental shaman and an enhancement shaman. It's literally like playing two different classes, as they don't have too many overlapping abilities. I often do elemental to quest because I simply like keeping my distance from my opponent, it's a safer way to fight but yeah it does come at the cost of damage a lot of the time. This is also why Survival Hunters actually still exist, as it's a unique way of play in comparison to the usual beastmaster thing.

What I am saying is that there would have to be enough variety and difference in the third spec to give people reason to play it. I talk to rogues for example, and those people that like playing Subtlety rogues when I question them why they choose that spec over Assassination they say outright that raiding really isn't their 'thing' anyway...see it's difficult to balance all these specs and have them all be as competitive.

Think of it this way...you never saw a fire mage back in MOP, but when Legion came out, you were in the mage all and every single mage you saw was Fire as their main spec. That was the only time in the whole of wow I've been playing that Fire mages actually did more damage you see. In Cata, everyone was Arcane, in MOP some people went Frost, in WoD it was kind of split between Frost/Arcane, but that one period of history when you would go to the Mage Class Hall and see fire mages everywhere...every single stinking one of them...it was quite a sight.

You see the problem with giving classes more than one dps spec? Very hard for them to balance, people will always choose the spec that does the most damage.
What else would we do?
Would be pretty cool to have a chaos caster spec. Something different enough from Destruction to work. Or possibly move Destruction to DH and give warlock a Sacrifice spec.
10/03/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Kathreena
Would be pretty cool to have a chaos caster spec. Something different enough from Destruction to work. Or possibly move Destruction to DH and give warlock a Sacrifice spec.

Over my dead Succubus! Pft, give destruction to DHs, you're crazy.

Get out. You can go hang out with the mages now.
Thing is... what else can a Demon Hunter do?

Some sort of strange hybrid melee-ranged DPS, with spells like Mana Burn or the original WC3 Metamorphosis (that gave the Demon Hunter a ranged attack), is the only thing I can think of.
10/03/2018 06:55 PMPosted by Nocht

Get out. You can go hang out with the mages now.

It seems my comment has caused some...havoc.
Spooky fel archer would actually be pretty rad