Why is the playerbase so toxic to playable High Elves?

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 26 Next
10/01/2018 10:48 PMPosted by Camshow
It's like this..
If you're a biological boy, and you gender change to a female and claim to be a female.
You are still a man.

If you're a High Elf, and you decide to start calling yourself a Blood Elf.. You are still a High Elf.

Is that easy enough for you people to understand?

...This is quite possibly the outright craziest comparison I've seen so far. Holy hell.

10/01/2018 10:51 PMPosted by Rankin
Not liking an idea does not mean we are being toxic about it.

Sure, maybe not you specifically (I don't know, I don't recall seeing you post in one of these before tbh), but that doesn't mean toxic behaviour isn't out there.

I mean, see above.
High Elves are dead. Void Elves filled that "slot" already, much to the chagrin of high elf fans.

The nearest option high elf fans have is convincing them to add skin tones for Void Elves akin to Alleria's, seeing as how she's the poster child for Void Elves and still looks like a high elf- blonde hair, peachy skin and all that.

But odds are that she's going to get killed off or something because "oogabooga Old Gods blahblah Void Lords".
10/01/2018 11:16 PMPosted by Cantaloupe
High Elves are dead. Void Elves filled that "slot" already, much to the chagrin of high elf fans.

The nearest option high elf fans have is convincing them to add skin tones for Void Elves akin to Alleria's, seeing as how she's the poster child for Void Elves and still looks like a high elf- blonde hair, peachy skin and all that.

But odds are that she's going to get killed off or something because "oogabooga Old Gods blahblah Void Lords".

I feel like this whole mess would be moot if the Void Elves were actually the Alliance High Elves and not the Horde Blood Elves.
10/01/2018 11:16 PMPosted by Cantaloupe
High Elves are dead. Void Elves filled that "slot" already,

If they did people wouldn't be asking for them. (And Blizzard would not still be using them)
we suggested this (thicc-er model based on alexstraza, sylvannas , ysera, etc)

https://youtu.be/0wkelxRrQUs?t=57

instead of a direct copy of belves and we're informed that the alex, sylv, etc, models were not wearing removable armor. so theres no armor sets for them. the armor is literally painted on the skin, textured onto the skin. cant be removed and replaced. if they need a new look, they paint it directly on the model like sylvannas' belly cover. whereas allied races already share body armor with the race they are copied from like dark iron share armor with dwarf. velf share armor with belf. nightborne share armor with nelf

also several horde members felt that would give us a model that was prettier than belves and they wanted exclusive bragging rights on the prettiest race.
If playing as a HIGH ELF is that important to you, i personally think you have bigger issues lol. JK. i dont even know wtf a high elf is and ive played since vanilla. i personally dont give a rats butt about lore. not why i used to play wow.
Because there are already multiple playable races that use belf models in the game.

Go play one of those and stop having a fit over eye color.
10/02/2018 01:03 AMPosted by Sapphre

instead of a direct copy of belves and we're informed that the alex, sylv, etc, models were not wearing removable armor. so theres no armor sets for them. the armor is literally painted on the skin, textured onto the skin. cant be removed and replaced. if they need a new look, they paint it directly on the model like sylvannas' belly cover. whereas allied races already share body armor with the race they are copied from like dark iron share armor with dwarf. velf share armor with belf. nightborne share armor with nelf

also several horde members felt that would give us a model that was prettier than belves and they wanted exclusive bragging rights on the prettiest race.

Yeah, player race models are built differently to one off models for important characters. Talendrion put together these edits a while back - they're a modification of the Night Elf bodies, which is a better starting point since all of the attachment and changeable textures etc. for gear are already made, so essentially there's some minor animation work and the facial customizations and textures that need to be done and it'd be finished, which is considerably less work than startign from scratch. The less work involved for Blizzard, the better.

https://image.ibb.co/mCTr3c/HE_Male_Skintones.png
https://i.imgur.com/3oET3CJ.jpg
Ignorance

/thread
10/02/2018 01:10 AMPosted by Jagdtiger
Because there are already multiple playable races that use belf models in the game.

Go play one of those and stop having a fit over eye color.

2 you mean? sorta like orcs have 2 playable orc races.

eye color's a side effect for most of these people. they want the silver covenant lore and backstory. and a traditional elf not a dark elf. my void elf is a dark elf. nelfs are dark elfs. nightborne are dark elfs. even sylvannas is a dark elf. only non dark elves in the game are belfs.
We don't need 3 !@#$ing races to represent a single species. It's bad enough we got 4 elf races as it is.
10/02/2018 01:20 AMPosted by Teliko
We don't need 3 !@#$ing races to represent a single species. It's bad enough we got 4 elf races as it is.

they're not new. they've been fighting alongside you all this time. even given ya quests. they've been in lore, in wow and before that in w2 and w3, on the alliance. they be our buds.
10/02/2018 01:13 AMPosted by Nindraine
10/02/2018 01:03 AMPosted by Sapphre

Yeah, player race models are built differently to one off models for important characters. Talendrion put together these edits a while back - they're a modification of the Night Elf bodies, which is a better starting point since all of the attachment and changeable textures etc. for gear are already made, so essentially there's some minor animation work and the facial customizations and textures that need to be done and it'd be finished, which is considerably less work than startign from scratch. The less work involved for Blizzard, the better.

https://image.ibb.co/mCTr3c/HE_Male_Skintones.png
https://i.imgur.com/3oET3CJ.jpg

fu man chu. :D
the males are better looking than the females. hehe
Same reason a big portion is toxic to most all allied races, its not "their" type of content and as such its pointless to them. Take the AMA for example, literally every allied race question was down voted into oblivion because its not about Azerite, or their Class, or whatever else(Which I am not saying were not valid questions mind you)

Its really sad to be honest, but anger, unrest, and general frustration in the expansion really play a big factor in it. Those people want what is fun in their eyes and sees anything that does not fall into that category as a waste of their time, ie "It would cost a raid tier" type mentality. The whole "Time spent on Allied Races could be better spent on X content that I want!"

I wouldn't take it personally though. Just keep being positive, friendly, and such and try to ignore those who hate on them.

Hush also summarized another aspect behind the hate pretty well.

09/30/2018 06:30 PMPosted by Hushups
I think it's mostly to get under the skin of those wanting high elves. That crowd seems to be pretty sensitive about it, so they're easy to troll.

There are also groups of people who just don't like the idea of others being happy and go out of their way to do whatever they can to make others unhappy. Same people go to the Vulpera threads and start going off on "This game doesn't need more furries!" and "This game is already too kiddie as it is! They don't belong in WoW" type deal.

Just replace that argument with "They already exist, they are called Blood Elves" or "You got Void Elves" or whatever. Same people, different statement.

Just ignore it and keep asking in a constructive, positive, and meek manner and never say never with Blizzard :)
I support playable Alliance traitor elves
10/02/2018 01:36 AMPosted by Mortex
I support playable Alliance traitor elves

And that shall be their name in the Allied Race menu! "Alliance 'Traitor' Elves"

I'd roll one :P
10/02/2018 01:32 AMPosted by Byucknah
There are also groups of people who just don't like the idea of others being happy and go out of their way to do whatever they can to make others unhappy.

Who is trying to make others unhappy? That's a broad and rude generalization.

The timeline in game between the Scourging of Quel'thalas and Battle for Azeroth is around 20 years.

Arthas and Jaina are contemporary characters who grew up together.

So 20 years ago in game there were High Elves and Night Elves.

Arthas comes along and wipes out 90% of the High Elves in their kingdom and capital city.

Most of the remaining 10% rename themselves Blood Elf in memory of the fallen.

A few don't rename themselves, including some in scattered outposts.

Garithos (xenophobic human) imprisons his Blood Elf allies and plans to kill them all.

Blood Elves escape and later join the Horde, except for a few in some scattered outposts that remain with the Alliance.

The society, culture, and customs of the Elves didn't change and there are no physical differences between the 2 groups.

Blood Elves are High Elves that call themselves a different name. Void Elves are Blood Elves which are High Elves that experimented with Void Energy, became a danger to the Sunwell, and were exiled and later joined the Alliance.

Blizzard has no actual good reason to make physically distinct High Elves with a different racial just for some players who refuse to play Blood Elves because those players don't want to play Horde because there are no physical distinctions between High and Blood Elf which are literally the same thing.

https://imgur.com/a/7OTwBSf

High Elf NPC in Farstrider Lodge Loch Modan

Blue(?) eyed Blood Elf.
09/30/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Swiftraven
The loudest high elf supports tend to show a lot of toxocity too, so people end up picking on the community as a whole, even the nice ones.

I've had bad run-ins with high elf supporters, moreso than friendly interactions, simply for being a blood elf player.

Troll someone ("we high elves nao")
They get angry ("we want the ones that are still fighting for the Alliance, nincompoop")
"Haha dude why so toxic"
I would be more angry about them adding vulpera as a playable race. Will be like the pandarens all over again.
To put it another way.

Blizzard literally came up with a way to make visually distinct High Elves with a unique racial a playable faction for the Alliance and Alliance players are ungrateful because they still can't play blue eyed blonde haired Blood Elves.