Why is the playerbase so toxic to playable High Elves?

General Discussion
Prev 1 20 21 22 26 Next
Hey man, I’m just sayin, they leave all these smoking hooka’s laying around in the city. What’s an elf to do?
10/02/2018 06:53 AMPosted by Sapphre
10/02/2018 06:43 AMPosted by Derka
...Because Alliance players want to be able to cyber with non-purple elf options.

lol i dont cyber. i have the real thing at home. dont need a replacement or temp fill-in or fantasy date or any of that. i just like elves.
I'm just being a dope ;) I couldn't care less who gets what races. Its all pixels.
10/02/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Ruddypiper
10/02/2018 06:41 AMPosted by Sapphre
same thing, on a much grander scale, happened when the dark trolls morphed into highborne because of proximity to the well of eternity.

Tens of thousands of years. Versus a couple of decades.

the blood elves were physically changed by the fel,

They got green glowing eyes. Which per lore should be fading back to normal with the Sunwell cleansed.

when the high elves who split off from the blood elves, didnt go the route the blood elves did,

From what we've seen in game with the various Elf races, non Sunwell using High Elves should be going the route of the Withered or Wretched lacking Elune, Sunwell, Nightwell, Treething, or Fel magic sustenance.

they arent though. in one of the novels i think it was, they were actually getting some strength from the moonwells, but the most established lore states that they learned to meditate thru it and i think humans taught them a few things about it as well, because if you'll notice, humans are magic users but dont need magic wells.

i dont think the changes would be big over such a short span of time, but proximity or lack thereof to magic wells does effect elves in various ways. those various ways might be an avenue to follow for changing their appearance enough to differentiate them from both blood and void elves.
10/02/2018 07:00 AMPosted by Derka
Its all pixels.

ok hehe
10/02/2018 07:00 AMPosted by Sapphre
10/02/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Ruddypiper

Tens of thousands of years. Versus a couple of decades.

They got green glowing eyes. Which per lore should be fading back to normal with the Sunwell cleansed.

From what we've seen in game with the various Elf races, non Sunwell using High Elves should be going the route of the Withered or Wretched lacking Elune, Sunwell, Nightwell, Treething, or Fel magic sustenance.

they arent though. in one of the novels i think it was, they were actually getting some strength from the moonwells, but the most established lore states that they learned to meditate thru it and i think humans taught them a few things about it as well, because if you'll notice, humans are magic users but dont need magic wells.

i dont think the changes would be big over such a short span of time, but proximity or lack thereof to magic wells does effect elves in various ways. those various ways might be an avenue to follow for changing their appearance enough to differentiate them from both blood and void elves.

/waves

Fel tainted Blood Elf. Pretty distinct from regular Blood Elf. Way more than Blood versus High.
Im just gonna pop back in from earlier, when I said if the Void Elves were the quel'dorei and not the sin'dorei...

My question is a bit psychological, to the HElfer fans and those pushing for their inclusion:

Why do you think the two elven allied races, are so different from their counterpart (well not different, but have core themes changed)? Nightborne come from the night elves, but due to their own lore and the NIghtwell...their culture changed which brought about years of adaptation due to the font of magic. Void elves, while being rather new, were forcibly altered from the Void and while having weak lore...they have begun to have a form of prominence in BfA through Umbric.

Lets go to this further with the draenai and tauren: While I do not personally agree with the HM or LF as being Allied Races, they do have some cultural difference and core theme changed that made theme distinguished from their peers. The Lightforging ritual and the blessing of Cenarius.

Mag'har, Dark Iron, Kul'tiran, and Zandalari....I do not need to explain.

Now lets go to the high elves: in game...what cultural difference or what core theme change has been presented that can be easily presented in the game?

The fact that they have blue eyes? If this was the case...why are Void Elves so different and so out-there as a visual concept?

I feel like, for high elves to be an allied race, Blizzard needs to finally show off high elven culture NOT through the lens of Vareesa Windrunner. They need to show what has changed since all their years of their schism. How have they adapted? How have they changed their themes?

And I think thats what a lot of anti-Helves are feeling. They arent different enough or have a stark contrast to make that jump besides blue eyes and an Alliance flag.
https://imgur.com/a/7OTwBSf

High Elf NPC in game. Basically exactly what you get on Blood Elf character creation sans eyes.
10/02/2018 07:18 AMPosted by Syngyn
10/02/2018 07:00 AMPosted by Sapphre

/waves

Fel tainted Blood Elf. Pretty distinct from regular Blood Elf. Way more than Blood versus High.

yeah they'd have to make a distinction

Pandaren started as Neutral, Blood elf is not, try again.

Blood Elf started as alliance in WC3 and over the course of WoW tried to defect back to the Alliance twice from a lore stand point.

Try. Again.

My god you are truly dense. Where do they find you "MVPs"
The players that want to play those Alliance High Elves are probably the friendliest people you will ever meet.

The toxicity is purely part of WoW's generally toxic community. Remember, this games petty and dumb in game faction stuff actually has led to at least one IRL assault at BlizzCon. This game has a habit of producing toxic people. Most of the detractors are in that camp, toxic or trolls.

As for Void Elves, the ultimate issue with them is its something nobody asked for nor wanted. Like asking for a Pizza at a resturant that has Pizza but the chefs present you a hot pocket and say "Hey, be grateful! Its a fair compromise!" which is a thing nobody wanted nor asked for. The issue with them is how utterly contrived the lore was, how they were essentially made up on the spot and did not exist both in lore and outside of lore until the unlock quest dropped.
Overly simplistic, but a sincerely honest question. If the Alliance had High Elf players, what would distinguish their appearance from Blood Elves? How could I quickly visually tell them apart to know which one is Alliance and which one is Horde?

I guess I always assumed High Elves were not added because they look too much like Blood Elves. The Void Elf solution was because they are darker in color and thus easier to distinguish as being Alliance.
10/02/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Illiaster
I feel like, for high elves to be an allied race, Blizzard needs to finally show off high elven culture NOT through the lens of Vareesa Windrunner. They need to show what has changed since all their years of their schism. How have they adapted? How have they changed their themes?

mingling with humans. even elisande singles them out for that, claiming they've tainted their bloodline and are just playing at royalty, pretenders to the throne if you will. they have half elven children. but only a couple are mentioned. one in particular is seen in magister's terrace. the half elven avatar named kalec, but we dont know if he's actually a half elf since he's got a dragon form named kalecgos. maybe someone else can elaborate. and then there's alleria's son, arator, that she had with turalyon, who is a human paladin
10/02/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Caledonii
The players that want to play those Alliance High Elves are probably the friendliest people you will ever meet.

The toxicity is purely part of WoW's generally toxic community. Remember, this games petty and dumb in game faction stuff actually has led to at least one IRL assault at BlizzCon. This game has a habit of producing toxic people. Most of the detractors are in that camp, toxic or trolls.

Wow. Way to ad hominem. Your mother must be so proud.

High elves are in game, as a Horde race, called Blood Elves. Those of us who made the choice to play them had to decide: Blood Elf, or Alliance? And we chose.

Do you think the Horde as a whole was happy to see us? Do you think the unending homophobic slurs from both factions are funny?

Do you have any idea how Horde paladins - this was before Sunwalkers, mind - were received by Alliance in Battlegrounds?

So that's it. People who play High - that is to say, Blood - Elves catch a lot of hate anyway, daily. We're told we aren't with our faction (we are). We're called traitors to the Alliance (we aren't).

So, if you aren't willing to step up and take the negatives with the positives of a playabe High Elf, then NO, I don't think you deserve to have them.

Especially not when you got Void Elves, who are in fact High Elves but who need to be kept from Quel'thalas.

Also, let me point out that spamming repetitive topics in GD on a daily basis is in fact toxic behavior.

Quit pretending that you didn't bring the response on yourselves by going out of your way to be obnoxious. And yes, I include your injured innocence post in that category.
10/02/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Tymberlea
10/02/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Caledonii

Wow. Way to ad hominem. Your mother must be so proud.

High elves are in game, as a Horde race, called Blood Elves. Those of us who made the choice to play them had to decide: Blood Elf, or Alliance? And we chose.

Do you think the Horde as a whole was happy to see us? Do you think the unending homophobic slurs from both factions are funny?

Do you have any idea how Horde paladins - this was before Sunwalkers, mind - were received by Alliance in Battlegrounds?

So that's it. People who play High - that is to say, Blood - Elves catch a lot of hate anyway, daily. We're told we aren't with our faction (we are). We're called traitors to the Alliance (we aren't).

So, if you aren't willing to step up and take the negatives with the positives of a playabe High Elf, then NO, I don't think you deserve to have them.

Especially not when you got Void Elves, who are in fact High Elves but who need to be kept from Quel'thalas.

Also, let me point out that spamming repetitive topics in GD on a daily basis is in fact toxic behavior.

Quit pretending that you didn't bring the response on yourselves by going out of your way to be obnoxious. And yes, I include your injured innocence post in that category.
High Elves are in game primarily as an Alliance friendly faction. There is a playable race called Blood Elves, but again, there are two different things.

Also, discussing a popular topic is not spam, except to the highly toxic detractors whom cannot seem to make a solid point against the idea that doesn't boil down to "I don't like it!" or trolling.
09/30/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Tymberlea
Because WE. ALREADY. ARE. IN. THE. GAME.
10/02/2018 07:29 AMPosted by Trathos
Overly simplistic, but a sincerely honest question. If the Alliance had High Elf players, what would distinguish their appearance from Blood Elves? How could I quickly visually tell them apart to know which one is Alliance and which one is Horde?

I guess I always assumed High Elves were not added because they look too much like Blood Elves. The Void Elf solution was because they are darker in color and thus easier to distinguish as being Alliance.

Different hair styles, facial and/or body warpaint (see Wc2 Elven Archers/Rangers art), the giant nameplate over their head that says they're either friend or foe. If you want to go further, I'm a strong advocate of giving them a different build, making them a bit stronger and broader, ie:

https://image.ibb.co/mCTr3c/HE_Male_Skintones.png
https://i.imgur.com/3oET3CJ.jpg

You could also look at the colour palette - most of the Blood Elf skintones have a red/pink tint, whereas High Elves could have a yellow tint instead, as well as darker tones (though that being said, tbh I want more skin colour diversity for all the Allied races because they're lackign in that department).

There's a lot of options.

Also see: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2382861-Official-High-Elf-Discussion-Megathread for more ideas. There's a few things in there I don't agree with, but it's a great resource as far as a High Elf moodboard goes.
09/30/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Ilexivant
The problem is that a lot of us on the Horde do *not* want our faction's visible identity stolen.

High Elves are problematic because the people who keep demanding them want a Horde race clone just with different eye colors. And yes, lore-wise they are different. But there is reason to not dilute the visual differences between the Horde and Alliance. Right now its basically just Panda's that are shared between. Even the Void Elves though basically very very similar models are so different in color that they are easily identifiable as Alliance from far away.

High Elves would not be.

2 big problems with your stance. 1. as you stated, Pandas. 2. Most of the armors in the game so completely cover the body, that skin color is moot for rapid identification purposes. The big red or orange nameplate over a character of the opposing faction is the only way I can tell the difference between an orc and a human until I'm too close for it to make a difference anyway, unless you have nameplates turned off which is something I hardly ever see even high end raiders doing. Visual identification outside of combat range is near impossible without the nameplates and pointless inside combat range since you can't attack your own faction anyway.
09/30/2018 06:30 PMPosted by Hekkur
1. They're already in the game -- look WAY too similar to literally 4 other races available in the game.
2. It's funny.
3. It's daily spam so people got tired of hearing it.

That and the post above him 1 million times
10/02/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Tymberlea
And yes, I include your injured innocence post in that category.

but i like ya just fine. not mad at ya. i just like elves lol. elven lore. elven art. elven music. elven architecture. etc
Pretty much the above. Blood Elves changed their name after Arthas killed 90% of the population. Prior to that there were only Night Elves and High Elves.

All Blood Elves are High Elves. Some High Elves didn't change their name.