Why is the playerbase so toxic to playable High Elves?

General Discussion
Prev 1 21 22 23 26 Next
10/02/2018 07:29 AMPosted by Trathos
Overly simplistic, but a sincerely honest question. If the Alliance had High Elf players, what would distinguish their appearance from Blood Elves? How could I quickly visually tell them apart to know which one is Alliance and which one is Horde?

I guess I always assumed High Elves were not added because they look too much like Blood Elves. The Void Elf solution was because they are darker in color and thus easier to distinguish as being Alliance.

The same way you visually distinguish between Alliance Pandaren and Horde Pandaren. The same way you visually distinguish between an orc and human, by the blue, green, orange, or red nameplates over their heads. This game does not have high enough resolution graphics even on the max settings (which I run anytime I'm not raiding) to make rapid contact identification a real thing outside the use of the nameplates. Add in the fact that many of the armors so completely cover the skin that there is no discernible difference between a void elf and a blood elf or between a nightborne and a night elf except for the ears poking up out of the helm which you will not see until it is far too late.
Also, all elves are mutated Trolls.
10/02/2018 07:44 AMPosted by Caledonii
10/02/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Tymberlea

Wow. Way to ad hominem. Your mother must be so proud.

High elves are in game, as a Horde race, called Blood Elves. Those of us who made the choice to play them had to decide: Blood Elf, or Alliance? And we chose.

Do you think the Horde as a whole was happy to see us? Do you think the unending homophobic slurs from both factions are funny?

Do you have any idea how Horde paladins - this was before Sunwalkers, mind - were received by Alliance in Battlegrounds?

So that's it. People who play High - that is to say, Blood - Elves catch a lot of hate anyway, daily. We're told we aren't with our faction (we are). We're called traitors to the Alliance (we aren't).

So, if you aren't willing to step up and take the negatives with the positives of a playabe High Elf, then NO, I don't think you deserve to have them.

Especially not when you got Void Elves, who are in fact High Elves but who need to be kept from Quel'thalas.

Also, let me point out that spamming repetitive topics in GD on a daily basis is in fact toxic behavior.

Quit pretending that you didn't bring the response on yourselves by going out of your way to be obnoxious. And yes, I include your injured innocence post in that category.
High Elves are in game primarily as an Alliance friendly faction. There is a playable race called Blood Elves, but again, there are two different things.

Also, discussing a popular topic is not spam, except to the highly toxic detractors whom cannot seem to make a solid point against the idea that doesn't boil down to "I don't like it!" or trolling.

They are not two different things. Blood Elves are known as Blood Elves simply out of respect for the fallen Elves after the fall of Silvermoon and corruption of the Sunwell. It's a name change, that is all.

So I'll pose to you a question that I directed at someone else.

Do you believe calling a rose by any other name some how makes it not a rose?
People have beat the dead horse to death and now just killed a new horse and repetitively beating that horse with the same arguments that killed the first horse.

Just stop please, no more no more....
10/02/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Syngyn
Pretty much the above. Blood Elves changed their name after Arthas killed 90% of the population. Prior to that there were only Night Elves and High Elves.

All Blood Elves are High Elves. Some High Elves didn't change their name.

Yes, all blood elves are high elves but not all high elves are blood elves. The Quel'dorei, Sin'dorei, and Ren'dorei are all high elves. The Quel'dorei are simply the original high elves while the Sin'dorei are split off from them and the Ren'dorei are split off from the Sin'dorei. What is being asked for is Quel'dorei.
10/02/2018 06:56 AMPosted by Ruddypiper
10/02/2018 06:52 AMPosted by Lorithyn
And High Elves have been living in Dalaran separate from the Blood Elves for thousands of years

Nope. Wrong. Blood Elves are High Elves that changed their name after Arthas and the Scourge attacked Quel'thalas and Silvermoon City and killed 90% of the population.

In game time that happened within the last 20 years.

Not wrong, actually. High Elves have been living in Dalaran for over 2000 years, look to the most recent chronicles to see what I mean
10/02/2018 06:57 AMPosted by Ruddypiper
10/02/2018 06:55 AMPosted by Lorithyn
That is a real possibility with Alteric humans... I'd roll one

Normal Dwarf characters start out killing lots of Dark Iron loyalists. Seems a good reason for Dark Iron to go Horde!

DID's have been part of the Alliance for a couple of expansions now, although I will admit that they would fit with the Horde's aesthetic really well
Reason Alliance doesn't get playable High Elves is the same reason that Horde got them in the first place.

It was to balance the factions and give the folks with no imagination a pretty option on the Horde that could contend with humans and night elves.

The counter argument is that giving High Elves to the Alliance doesn't affect the Blood Elves on the Horde, but that's not really true. The Blood Elves are by far the most popular race on the Horde and giving basically the same thing to the Alliance takes away one of the Horde's key draws.
10/02/2018 07:29 AMPosted by Trathos
Overly simplistic, but a sincerely honest question. If the Alliance had High Elf players, what would distinguish their appearance from Blood Elves? How could I quickly visually tell them apart to know which one is Alliance and which one is Horde?

I guess I always assumed High Elves were not added because they look too much like Blood Elves. The Void Elf solution was because they are darker in color and thus easier to distinguish as being Alliance.

If we're being honest being marked as red and attackable is all it takes to be set apart. In a game where a neutral race exists and mercenary mode allows you to fight for the opposing faction anyway, I'd argue that they don't need to look that different

That's not to say I would want High Elves to be a carbon copy of Blood Elves with blue eyes, I would like them to have different animations, hair styles, skin tones, etc.
They are nothing but Belfs with blue eyes. How is this another race? blizz just needs to give blue and violet eye colors to Belfs to put an end to this nonsense. Don't know why they don't at this point since the Sunwell has been cleansed.
10/02/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Nighdarke
They are nothing but Belfs with blue eyes. How is this another race? blizz just needs to give blue and violet eye colors to Belfs to put an end to this nonsense. Don't know why they don't at this point since the Sunwell has been cleansed.

Hopefully they do with the BE Heritage Armor. It would be the perfect time to.
10/02/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Amoc
Reason Alliance doesn't get playable High Elves is the same reason that Horde got them in the first place.

It was to balance the factions and give the folks with no imagination a pretty option on the Horde that could contend with humans and night elves.

The counter argument is that giving High Elves to the Alliance doesn't affect the Blood Elves on the Horde, but that's not really true. The Blood Elves are by far the most popular race on the Horde and giving basically the same thing to the Alliance takes away one of the Horde's key draws.

But could we say for sure that High Elves will draw people to the Alliance on mass? There would surely be a long rep grind to unlock them, and even if the Alliance gains some new people it wouldn't be the end of the world. The Horde already has a 10% lead in population (only if we count max level characters)
10/02/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Lorithyn
10/02/2018 06:57 AMPosted by Ruddypiper

Normal Dwarf characters start out killing lots of Dark Iron loyalists. Seems a good reason for Dark Iron to go Horde!

DID's have been part of the Alliance for a couple of expansions now, although I will admit that they would fit with the Horde's aesthetic really well

Doesn't change the fact that I was fighting them at every other quest location on a dwarf yesterday. Not all of them follow Moira apparently.

10/02/2018 08:06 AMPosted by Lorithyn
10/02/2018 06:56 AMPosted by Ruddypiper

Nope. Wrong. Blood Elves are High Elves that changed their name after Arthas and the Scourge attacked Quel'thalas and Silvermoon City and killed 90% of the population.

In game time that happened within the last 20 years.

Not wrong, actually. High Elves have been living in Dalaran for over 2000 years, look to the most recent chronicles to see what I mean

High Elves and Blood Elves are the same. The same High Elves living in Dalaran are the same High Elves living in Quel'thalas who changed their own name ~20 years ago in game.

Unless you are suggesting that Dalaran High Elves are different from all other High Elves, including the Alliance NPC's. Except even then, still the same thing.
Do you believe calling a rose by any other name some how makes it not a rose?

In this case, only a few roses want to be called roses anymore. Most of the roses are now calling themselves thornbushes and trying to disassociate themselves with roses. Sure, thornbushes look and smell as nice as ever, and everyone says thornbushes were always the nicest flower in the garden, but everyone still knows that theres a few actual roses hidden near the back fence that still like being roses.
Add High Elves or the game WILL die. The choice is yours.
10/02/2018 08:00 AMPosted by Fizsalie
People have beat the dead horse to death and now just killed a new horse and repetitively beating that horse with the same arguments that killed the first horse.

Just stop please, no more no more....

With all due respect, you don't have to click on HE threads or engage in conversations about them. They're hardly the only thing being talked about in the GD
Because wow players LOVE them some bandwagons...
10/02/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Yallgottamov

09/30/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Tymberlea
WE. ALREADY. ARE. IN. THE. GAME.
10/02/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Syngyn
10/02/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Lorithyn

Doesn't change the fact that I was fighting them at every other quest location on a dwarf yesterday. Not all of them follow Moira apparently.

10/02/2018 08:06 AMPosted by Lorithyn

High Elves and Blood Elves are the same. The same High Elves living in Dalaran are the same High Elves living in Quel'thalas who changed their own name ~20 years ago in game.

Unless you are suggesting that Dalaran High Elves are different from all other High Elves, including the Alliance NPC's. Except even then, still the same thing.

Aren't those DID's you're fighting just legacy content and not representative of their current politics? If I walked into ICC Arthas isn't suddenly alive once more. Although every other type of dwarf hates their guts, the Dark Iron Dwarves are still members of the Alliance

In regards the HE's, the High Elves of the Kirin Tor are different to the elves who renamed themselves Blood Elves. Not every thalassian elf returned to quel'thalas, Kirin Tor High Elf mages have been in that city and with that faction for thousands of years

They were never involved with fel crystals, and they are members of the Alliance. Blood Elves consider these elves to be traitors to their people, and are hated by the Horde
10/02/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Tyierin
10/02/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Yallgottamov

09/30/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Tymberlea
WE. ALREADY. ARE. IN. THE. GAME.

Biologically speaking Blood Elves are High Elves, but everyone knows what someone means when they say they want to play a High Elf.

Alliance High Elves do not call themselves Blood Elves, and vice versa. They hate each other, if you were to refer to a Blood Elf as a High Elf to his/her face they'd probably slap you