As a returning player who didnt play Legion, Nightborne and Highmountain seem very far out of reach

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
10/02/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Solarwynds
10/02/2018 07:19 PMPosted by Lemres
(Especially for the Nightborne as you complete their storyline and get one Manasaber, and when you complete their Allied Race questline you get... another Manasaber)
We got a manasaber mount for completing the Suramar story line? Getting old is no good for the memory.

Arcanists Manasaber (flying mount) yes. The nighborne get a different manasaber that doesn't fly.
10/02/2018 06:57 PMPosted by Solarwynds
10/02/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Manjè

It sure should. If it doesn't someone should be fired. It's a boat.
No one needs to be fired over a flying boat. Jaina has one remember? Enough with the fire so and so because they had ham and I only like turkey.

so much this

the initial negative threads and posts had some good points but by now stuff like this makes them hard to take seriously.

plus if you planned to be subbed in six months anyway it’s pretty damn dumb to have passed up on the Dreadwake since the six month sub price is cheaper than monthly.
10/02/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Caledus
10/02/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Lemres

You do realize you couldn't have picked a more boring solution, right?

If you are going to do that, it's better to just wait for Emissary quests. It's far less boring.

If someone gives you the solution to your problem and you prefer to scoff and say I rather wait, while at the same time complaining then that is a you problem.
You might be confused? That's not OP you are talking to.
10/02/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Harlekìn
10/02/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Solarwynds
...We got a manasaber mount for completing the Suramar story line? Getting old is no good for the memory.

Arcanists Manasaber (flying mount) yes. The nighborne get a different manasaber that doesn't fly.
Well this is sweet! Dang that means its been sitting in my mount roster for several months. *blush*
How are we still talking about this?

The launch came and went. The reps are still here. Grind it or don't. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Besides Light Nuke (and the light nuke that gets cast on death), I really can't tell the difference between me and a normal draenei.
10/02/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Manjè
10/02/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Jamalia

Because it was CURRENT CONTENT WHEN THE PRE-ORDER BONUS UNLOCK WAS ANNOUNCED. Pre-order bonus is a pre-order bonus.

It would have been pretty stupid for them to have ground rep on factions that didn't exist yet. Right?

Why are you so mad?

I didn't know they were any part of a preorder bonus. I knew that you could earn the reputation to get them pre-launch. That doesn't mean that the requirements to unlock them post launch should still be so high, considering most expansions bring a lot of people back into the game, and pushing old content to unlock new races is something that we've never seen before in any expansion as far as I know.

I also just noticed that I said "classes" instead of "races" in my OP. Thanks for that.

So you made an assumption that the requirements for an in game reward would change with the launch of the expansion?
Why would Blizzard actually do that? They would know that if they did, no-one would do the pre-expansion requirements, everyone would just wait till launch.

Long story short.

You made an assumption.
You were wrong in that assumption.
You are now mad that your assumption was wrong.
You are now complaining on GD that your assumption was wrong.
Basically...... this is all on YOU.
usually when you don't play an expansion you miss out on a lot of stuff. sucks for you.
10/02/2018 06:42 PMPosted by Sunfaller
10/02/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Lathander
If by out of reach you mean 3 weeks of doing extremely casual WQs after you finish the main quests in each zone then yeah you would be correct.
imagine coming back after 6 years and this is what you have to do. To you this means nothing as you have been continuously playing and probably ran out of things to do near the end of legion.
I got back after 6 years and i am spending my first month back grinding old content. I'm doing it but I am really annoyed by it.

I totally understand where you’re coming from as I personally think they should’ve reduced the rep to Revered, but remember that content is completely optional. You don’t have to do it straight up. Why not level through BFA and go back and do Legion content on some down time?
I was able to play through Legion with a lot of spare time on my hands, I "did all the things, got all the things". But my hubby, he's never had the same amount of time to play, he's been slowly picking away at argussian for-freaking-ever. And now I have significantly less time to play in bfa and it's taking for-freaking-ever to get the dark iron dwarves I want. And then I'll have to level it up for the armor... this style system of keeping people subbed is wearing thin for some people. Not sure I'll have it in me to grind Kul Tirans, no matter how much I want a wicker druid.

So yeah, I sympathize. They definitely reward people with more time and it feels punishing when you have very little time. Now that I've seen both sides, it sucks to be on the "this is taking forever" side.
10/02/2018 06:42 PMPosted by Sunfaller
I got back after 6 years and i am spending my first month back grinding old content. I'm doing it but I am really annoyed by it.

Not old content to you though if you just came back. If all I had to do is quit for a few months at a time and come back to a mailbox full of things I wasn't around to get I'd sure do it.

But that would make for a terribly boring and unsuccessful game when you're rewarded for doing absolutely nothing in a game that has had the same exact system since the very start.

It has always been "if you want something, you put the work in". This hasn't changed at all in the 14 years it's been around. The past mmo's and current ones (that are good anyways) all work the same exact way.

This is simply what mmo games are.
10/02/2018 08:37 PMPosted by Electra
I was able to play through Legion with a lot of spare time on my hands, I "did all the things, got all the things". But my hubby, he's never had the same amount of time to play, he's been slowly picking away at argussian for-freaking-ever. And now I have significantly less time to play in bfa and it's taking for-freaking-ever to get the dark iron dwarves I want. And then I'll have to level it up for the armor... this style system of keeping people subbed is wearing thin for some people. Not sure I'll have it in me to grind Kul Tirans, no matter how much I want a wicker druid.

So yeah, I sympathize. They definitely reward people with more time and it feels punishing when you have very little time. Now that I've seen both sides, it sucks to be on the "this is taking forever" side.

Yeap.

When Blizzard went the route of folding Skinner's Boxes inside Skinner's Boxes it had the effect of turning everyone cynical. No matter how justified a decision is, if the end effect is make people take longer to do the thing, the assumption is that Blizzard wants to waste your time.

Time gates? Sure, it's been in there at a blatant, overt level since Wrath introduced the Ardent Tournament, but the presumption is that Blizzard keeps doing it to waste your time to keep you subbed. Time gating goes away with the prepatch for the next expansion, so why wouldn't I just wait for it? I know what the Disney cycle is!
10/02/2018 06:06 PMPosted by Humanìty
Does the ship mount sail thru water like a waterwalking monnt?

It doesnt
10/02/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Manjè
It sure should. If it doesn't someone should be fired. It's a boat.

No one was fired
10/02/2018 08:28 PMPosted by Noobàdin
usually when you don't play an expansion you miss out on a lot of stuff. sucks for you.

Usually what you miss out on is not particularly (or at all) relevant for features included in the next expansion.

The only contrary examples I can think of are the Water Strider mounts. If you skipped Pandaria and Draenor both, you missed your chance to get those in current content, and they're the most practical mounts to use in content where you're grounded. But they were also annoyingly tedious rep farms when they were fresh and new.

Oh, I think the artifact fishing pole also qualifies. I think it still works and is the "best" fishing pole in the game. So something else you have to go to old content to get that you might want to use in current content.

I still don't find those few things really equivalent to new races that were released as part of the new expansion. Water Striders and the fishing pole are things you can use in current content, but they're not part of current content. Allied races are.

I'm expecting the rep requirements to be reduced at some point. But I'm not holding my breath. I have my human Paladin hanging out on Argus very casually doing quests and gaining rep there. I'd anticipate that within a week after I get exalted with both factions, and complete the last few quests I need for Insurrection (thus meeting requirements for all old-content-locked Allied Races) the rep requirement will be reduced or eased in some way.
10/02/2018 08:54 PMPosted by Craggar
I'm expecting the rep requirements to be reduced at some point. But I'm not holding my breath. I have my human Paladin hanging out on Argus very casually doing quests and gaining rep there. I'd anticipate that within a week after I get exalted with both factions, and complete the last few quests I need for Insurrection (thus meeting requirements for all old-content-locked Allied Races) the rep requirement will be reduced or eased in some way.
Could you hurry up then? ;)
for not flying peeps. and you don't mind this taking some more time. Also note I do this in BFA when I can too.

cache runs made simple...if RNG gods and how they place WQ's like you.

find a flight master close to 2 WQ's at least. fly there, bang them out.

whistle to flight master, find another flight master to 2 more close by WQ's, bang them out

If whistle reset pop it and head to emissary. If not, use the hearthstone, take flight from dalaran (or bfa city of faction). or walk to flight master lol.

Cache is done fast most times like this. On you to clear the rest if motivated. most times its bang it out and head to the place I (un)love so much...Argus lol. Argus you will do full wipes every time. I swear that bar does not move some nights...ugh.

Other tips...wardens give 2 reps, warden and the region's faction. double dip this. If wanting flight you need wardens anyway.

Don't be scared to at least scout out the "pvp" wq. If no one around other side it can be that 1 extra WQ to have done.
10/02/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Manjè
Why would something as important as new [EDIT]races[/EDIT] be locked behind a MASSIVE rep grind ONLY found in old content? Sure, the Mag'Har and eventually Zandalari are based in the ACTUAL EXPANSION they're going to be released with, but that isn't my point. For instance, in order to unlock the Highmountain Tauren, I had to quest through the entire Highmountain zone to reach Honored. To get to exalted my only two options, as far as I can tell, are either killing one boss in a dungeon about 200 times, or questing through the entirety of Legion content until I unlock [EDIT]World Quests that are still in outdated content. What do you even have to do to unlock world quests? Finish Legion Content or just be 110? Because I dont see any of them on any of my 110+ characters. You hit 110 in not even full Heirloom gear WELL before you've come close to finishing that content. This kinda only makes it worse.[/EDIT] Literally after realizing I was stuck after only reaching Honored through questing, I gave up entirely.

Remove the Exalted requirement from those two. Getting there is a gigantic pain in the !@# for new and returning players. Make it Honored for Highmountain and Nightborne. It just makes sense (at least to me.)

Had the same reaction. I've got 2 weeks left on my sub.
Blizzard stated they may revisit the unlock requirements at a later time but right now there are no plans to change it.
10/02/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Shantarin
10/02/2018 08:37 PMPosted by Electra

Yeap.

When Blizzard went the route of folding Skinner's Boxes inside Skinner's Boxes it had the effect of turning everyone cynical. No matter how justified a decision is, if the end effect is make people take longer to do the thing, the assumption is that Blizzard wants to waste your time.

Time gates? Sure, it's been in there at a blatant, overt level since Wrath introduced the Ardent Tournament, but the presumption is that Blizzard keeps doing it to waste your time to keep you subbed. Time gating goes away with the prepatch for the next expansion, so why wouldn't I just wait for it? I know what the Disney cycle is!

Well, it’s not like Blizz invented this. This was already an old design trait way back when Darth Smed perfected it as a torture device in EQ1.
Why would something as important as new [EDIT]races[/EDIT] be locked behind a MASSIVE rep grind ONLY found in old content? Sure, the Mag'Har and eventually Zandalari are based in the ACTUAL EXPANSION they're going to be released with, but that isn't my point. For instance, in order to unlock the Highmountain Tauren, I had to quest through the entire Highmountain zone to reach Honored. To get to exalted my only two options, as far as I can tell, are either killing one boss in a dungeon about 200 times, or questing through the entirety of Legion content until I unlock [EDIT]World Quests that are still in outdated content. What do you even have to do to unlock world quests? Finish Legion Content or just be 110? Because I dont see any of them on any of my 110+ characters. You hit 110 in not even full Heirloom gear WELL before you've come close to finishing that content. This kinda only makes it worse.[/EDIT] Literally after realizing I was stuck after only reaching Honored through questing, I gave up entirely.

Remove the Exalted requirement from those two. Getting there is a gigantic pain in the !@# for new and returning players. Make it Honored for Highmountain and Nightborne. It just makes sense (at least to me.)

They aren't that important - you can play the game fine without those allied races. They are cosmetic features and cosmetics features people often had to go back and earn rep for. Nothing new.

If you don't want to play catch-up next time don't quit.

So, we payed for legion, spent time in legion, did work in legion and earned a prize a year or more later. What you're saying is you want what we worked for, but for free? lol, okay.