What MMO did you stop playing to play WoW?

Classic Discussion
runescape, those days of dial up modems are long since past.
Ragnarok online,that's all i need to say.
ultima online
Final Fantasy 11 or FFXI
I played UO, EQ, ragnarok online, city of heroes, city of villains and dnd online.
So I've played a few mmos.

Edit: forgot ffxi
I stopped playing MUDs.
WoW is my very first MMO, and it's the one I've always come back to. I've had a standing subscription for the entirety of the game's life span.
WoW was my first.... on and off since 2005 when i was 8.... mixed with Runescape, wizard101, pirates online..... always came back to WoW and RS though. somethign about those two games.
As I had a 14k connection I was not able to play anything online (thanks Australian isp) I was on Baldurs gate when wow come out... moved from traditional RPGs to wow as soon as our net was upgraded to a 56k connection :)
I wasn't playing any MMOs before I started playing WoW back in '09.
I was playing EQ, SWG and CoH when I started playing WoW.
Runescape. It was also my first. It was just amazing to me to see so many people playing and having fun together.

WoW was next level though. Blew me away just like Runescape did the first time.
I stopped playing real life to play wow. Or at least I played it as little as I could, it's a very unfair and unforgiving mmo, you can work hard at it and still fail because even if you learn all the rules to get ahead, they keep changing...
Ffxi
Lineage 2 and EQ2
Runescape. I just loved mining instead of normal combat levelling and had fun stealing ore out from underneath players ten times my (combat) level. That joy of irritating others by stealing resources lead to exactly the same sort of behavior in WoW... only quite a bit more dangerous on a PvP realm, lol. (I distinctly remember going all the way from Durotar to Teldrassil because there were much better herb routes there. I had a blast!)
SWG. the flying in that game was awesome. But the ground combat tried to copy WoW's, and it took Sony over a year to just give the classes talent trees. It was a disaster. The npc's would also randomly stand and get killed or agro you from several floors/rooms away. It was broke with no fix on the horizon, whereas Vanilla WoW had relatively smooth combat and gameplay.

That game would blow your mind with the city building, crafting, trading, guild versus guild galaxy wide wars, and space combat depth. I didn't play NGE, I bet the combat systems had their virtues. Like you couldn't just roll a Jedi pre-NGE, you had to do a cryptic quest chain and grinds that took many months to do. The game had the guts to do things very technologically demanding, and player demanding. SOE, the devs, just didn't have the resources to debug it all, and they struggled with the franchise owners to make all Episode 1, 2, 3 stuff imbalanced and broken.
1.i was playing star wars galaxies

2.i stopped playing wow to play that newer star wars game two years cant remember the name lol
This was my first MMO. I didn't even know it was an mmo, I thought it was WarCraft4 under a fancy name. Looked cool, bought it, was blown away.
09/27/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Manhammer
SWG. the flying in that game was awesome. But the ground combat tried to copy WoW's, and it took Sony over a year to just give the classes talent trees. It was a disaster. The npc's would also randomly stand and get killed or agro you from several floors/rooms away. It was broke with no fix on the horizon, whereas Vanilla WoW had relatively smooth combat and gameplay.

That game would blow your mind with the city building, crafting, trading, guild versus guild galaxy wide wars, and space combat depth. I didn't play NGE, I bet the combat systems had their virtues. Like you couldn't just roll a Jedi pre-NGE, you had to do a cryptic quest chain and grinds that took many months to do. The game had the guts to do things very technologically demanding, and player demanding. SOE, the devs, just didn't have the resources to debug it all, and they struggled with the franchise owners to make all Episode 1, 2, 3 stuff imbalanced and broken.

That's why I quit swg because they made it like wow. but I loved that city building, the combat, the crafting etc it was so good. You had to unlock jedi by doing professions etc. LOL took me half the professions. Then the jedi trails..