Undead Paladins

Paladin
Something that confuses me is why Undead aren't allowed to play as Paladins. The reason I'm confused is because they're able to be Priests and use the light there and be Warriors but why not Paladins? Cause Paladins were made when the Priests of Northshire Abbey were slaughtered by the invading orcs in the first war, they combined the ferocity of Warriors and the holy powers of Priests to make the first Paladins. So if anyone has a lore reason why Undead Paladins can't be please tell me. Or does Blizzard just hate the idea of Undead Paladins.
In lore they are shadow priests only. Or at least it was in the past.
This could really be said for any race capable of wielding the light and also being a warrior, Goblins are also a good example.

The only reason I've ever gotten that holds even a little bit of a water is that a priest can utilize the light and the shadow (Discipline and Shadow) and can therefore tend towards a more evil side or, in the case of the Goblins, utilize their powers for greed, aggression, things generally not very "light" like.

Same for the Undead, they wield the light but their (supposedly) no longer able to give themselves wholly to the light.

That being said, I don't understand what the difference is between a Holy Priest and, say, a Holy Paladin besides the armor. Why is a Discipline priest, fanatical in their following, purging enemies of the light, different from a Discipline Priest. The time of the Lich King is over, a Human Paladin falls, comes back as an Undead and has to take off his plate armor but can still wield the light all the same?

Essentially, the ultimate answer is "Because lol".
09/28/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Pixx
This could really be said for any race capable of wielding the light and also being a warrior, Goblins are also a good example.

The only reason I've ever gotten that holds even a little bit of a water is that a priest can utilize the light and the shadow (Discipline and Shadow) and can therefore tend towards a more evil side or, in the case of the Goblins, utilize their powers for greed, aggression, things generally not very "light" like.

Same for the Undead, they wield the light but their (supposedly) no longer able to give themselves wholly to the light.

That being said, I don't understand what the difference is between a Holy Priest and, say, a Holy Paladin besides the armor. Why is a Discipline priest, fanatical in their following, purging enemies of the light, different from a Discipline Priest. The time of the Lich King is over, a Human Paladin falls, comes back as an Undead and has to take off his plate armor but can still wield the light all the same?

Essentially, the ultimate answer is "Because lol".
'
Their initial argument was that they couldnt restrict undead priests to one spec. They made sense as shadow, but not letting play 2/3 of their specs was a mechanical nightmare, so they allowed it under the fluff that all undead priests were shadow. There is no shadow or dark equivalent for paladins.
When one of these topics comes up, I always think back to Sir Zeliek in Naxxramas. He was raised as an undead, but is in a unique situation where his body is controlled against his will, and his mind is unshackled. So despite his undead body his soul is apparently still okay enough to channel the light.
09/28/2018 11:57 AMPosted by Sylphanos

And Tauren have their own religion and do not follow "The Light". And yet we have Tauren Paladins. Only a matter of time till all races can be all classes. When subs drop enough one day, it will happen.
At this point of WoW, there is no reason why some races can't be paladin, I mean, night elves should be because every Night Elf citizen has an extremely big faith in Elune, including the Sentinels, paladins for them wouldn't be far fetched, Trolls because Loa Warriors, Worgen because they have been working alongside the alliance for quite sometime now and so on and so forth.
09/29/2018 11:20 PMPosted by Unférth

And Tauren have their own religion and do not follow "The Light". And yet we have Tauren Paladins. Only a matter of time till all races can be all classes. When subs drop enough one day, it will happen.

My thoughts.
Undead Paladins 8.1
Needs to happen.
Honestly it makes sense and undead wasn't exclusively shadow. Just look at the undead priests in the order hall, they're not shadow... I'm sure there is more examples around. Lets also throw worgens, why can't turn into Paladins either?

Well as for now that is incorrect Alonsus Faol was the Archbishop of the Church of the Holy Light. He is now undead and is a Holy Priest.

sited Before the Storm Novel
No, again, just no. I want to see a high elf player character in Alliance, but that's not going to happen. If you want to play an undead "paladin" so badly, just create a death knight.
They can do it. It makes a LOT more sense than having Void Elves be Holy Priests. The two things are exclusive, it makes absolutely no kind of sense that Void Elves can use the light. On the other hand, the Forsaken can weild the light, it just hurts them. Paladins are typically Paladins because of their fierce devotion to someone or cause, it makes complete sense that Forsaken can be so devoted to Sylvanas that they weild the light to defend her. What's more Paladin-like than putting up with excruciating pain to defend what you care most about?
If this confuses you then you havent actually triied to look up the official reason. Its because Paladins hold the light within their Body while Priest do not.
Shadow Paladins
- all holy effects converted to shadow
- LoH converted to Harm : target takes HP damage = paladins max HP :)
- Shadow healing only heals forsaken or shadow priests. Otherwise it deals damage to the living.
Yes I want it and for them to stand up straight!
Its mostly because for the decades Metzen was the head of story and lore, he claimed the the Light hurt the undead and that all forsaken priests actually used the shadow to heal.

When Metzen retired and the new crew got control they began to add Undead characters that could use the light, the most recent novel even added Lightforged Undead to lore, so its just a matter of time.
09/30/2018 06:16 PMPosted by Malyx
If this confuses you then you havent actually triied to look up the official reason. Its because Paladins hold the light within their Body while Priest do not.

This. If you read the Arthas novel, they show you how the Paladin ritual goes when Arthas becomes one. Basically, Paladins are charged up with Light, allowing them to use it easier. Priests use the Light through faith alone.

If you read Tirion's backstory you will see that when he was kicked out of the Silver Hand he was also "decharged" which was supposed to take away his ability to use the light. He was unable to use the Light for sometime, but later learned that he could still call upon it through his Faith.

This is how Blood Elf Paladins work, they absorb Naaru/Sunwell energies charging themselves up with the Light to use when needed.
Considering we have Calia Menethil now as a reborn Lightforged Forsaken, we should really see an Undead Paladin. I also want to see Night Elf and Gnome Paladins, as both can wield the Light and be Warriors.