BFA is a HUGE success financially speaking

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
09/25/2018 12:45 PMPosted by Animagi
Yesterday I read about BFA being the fastest-selling expansion in MMO history and today I see this headline:

World of Warcraft Generates $161M in August, Surpasses League of Legends

The latest SuperData Research report for August 2018 has been published that shows that World of Warcraft has surpassed League of Legends in revenue generation thanks to the launch of the Battle for Azeroth expansion. WoW took in a whopping $161M in August, a number that does not include pre-orders in the months prior to August. According to the research company, WoW's subscriber numbers are the highest since 2014.

This just goes to show what I've assumed all along while enjoying the heck out of BFA this last month - that the folks here on GD truly are the vocal minority; all this whining and complaining isn't representative of the real state of the game.

What matters will be subscriber counts in 3 months, 6 months, 9 months etc.
09/25/2018 01:12 PMPosted by Johnny
Th last Jedi was a financial success as well.

and also a good movie if you can just enjoy things without picking it apart because 'but, but muh Star Wars and it has to be the exact way I want/expect it'
Love all the speculation, why do so many people have a vested interest in whether the game is a success or a failure? play it if its fun otherwise dont. I personally am probably going to wait till it goes FTP.
Not that impressive. Lots probably bought and paid for one month of time, so it will drop. That and it school is now in session so numbers will tank.
Reality is often very different from how these forums portray things.

I bought ATVI stock during WoD when players were the most negative in a long time. It has since doubled since then. Consider that - doubled SINCE WOD.

If you're going to look at stocks, you have to look beyond just wow and certainly beyond petty ephemeral annoyances in wow.
This just goes to show what I've assumed all along while enjoying the heck out of BFA this last month - that the folks here on GD truly are the vocal minority; all this whining and complaining isn't representative of the real state of the game.

Probably true, say there is 6 million subs.. Just a random guess... Forums posters probably account for 1000-2000 subs. Probably true random quit threads not someone posting on an alt to get attention probably 50-100.
09/25/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Aarschott
The real test is how many of those actually stay around after a few months in the new expansion.

how dare you attempt to use logic
The boat thing is damage control. They are trying to get people to sub for 6 months, and using a mount they will be releasing in the Cash Shop next year... But you have to look at it from a business view... There are other damage control out there with BFA... Are they hurting badly? Not sure, but they are hurting enough to use damage control...

It is all about the money.

Most haven't gotten to the endgame content and terrible gearing situation yet. You claiming that we are the vocal minority shows your ignorance to the problems.
Yesterday I read about BFA being the fastest-selling expansion in MMO history and today I see this headline:

Oh look a fanboi spouting fanboi rhetoric. How original. I wonder how much you will like the game when there is nobody to play with? Because that is exactly what is going to happen if this expansion continues to fail so hard with all the bugs and terrible balancing issues, lack of content and hey did I mention their is a Bee mount?

But go ahead, keep your head in the sand. Maybe if you bury it farther down you might bump into the devs who ignored everything people reported in Beta.

Oh look a whiney player because he didn't get what he wants. I've said 1000000 times i'd rather be a "fanboi" than a whiney immature player that cries everytime he doesn't get his way.
Diablo 3 is the third best selling PC game of all time, why don't you go over to those forums and see how they feel about it?

The latest SuperData Research report for August 2018 has been published that shows that World of Warcraft has surpassed League of Legends in revenue generation thanks to the launch of the Battle for Azeroth expansion. WoW took in a whopping $161M in August, a number that does not include pre-orders in the months prior to August. According to the research company, WoW's subscriber numbers are the highest since 2014.

If Blizz didn't have anything to hide, the sub numbers would be public.
09/25/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Laroystinkin
If I could get a refund I would.

I felt this way a bit also. Just never tried cause I feared being permabanned if I tried for 8 refunds after making allied races and leveling. But I think the sales have a lot to do with allied races, as a preorder feature. Whatever we've paid to upgrade in is a sunk cost; maybe if 8.1 is working on ptr can see how the next content patch will be.
Yea well Cancer is also a huge financial success.
09/25/2018 01:19 PMPosted by Volmere
09/25/2018 01:12 PMPosted by Johnny
Th last Jedi was a financial success as well.

and also a good movie if you can just enjoy things without picking it apart because 'but, but muh Star Wars and it has to be the exact way I want/expect it'

Typical Fanboy arguing with anyone and everyone trying to defend this awful game.
My account is canceled...
Yes, BFA has been a massive success on almost all fronts, widely receive by most except a vocal minority.

Best expansion since Cataclysm.

You do realize of course, that NOBODY has played BfA at the point they have purchased it.

Just because something sells well, especially when on sale for 6 months prior to it's release with inducements to buy it in advance doesn't tell anyone anything about the quality or desirability of the product.

In the case of WoW expansions, they always sell right around 3 million copies and sometimes people stay and at others they don't.

Yes Blizzard made a lot of money - whether they make a lot more or a lot less than usual over the next 2 years is reflective of how good or bad BfA is and not the total box sales.
09/25/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Grøm
/sigh

In Warlords of Draenor, WoW's sub numbers skyrocketed back to near-WotLK numbers...

...then we lost half of our player-base.

The complaints about the state of this game are legitimate. The problems are real, and affecting every part of this community.

If you are having fun, I hope you continue to do so!
But stop acting like nothing is going on.

I want to second this but I also want to add that you shouldn't just see yourselves as just one unhappy collective just because the health score is in the green but you are seemingly unhappy. You should not just dismiss the "vocal minority's" opinions or issues and just defend the act based on the idea that on the surface everything is golden so why listen to these guys. There are those who are unhappy, happy, and those who are ambivalent. All are needed to create lasting solutions when it comes to giving feedback on things that might be working just fine, but could use some love.