So what direction after Classic?

Classic Discussion
Sure its been mentioned before... but how do you guys want it to go after we get vanilla?

obviously play through all the patches. but after that? TBC? Ironman? something similar to Deadman mode in OSRS?

Expansion progression? but then we just run into the circle of getting to the crappy ones again which will suck.

Or take a page out of OSRS book and add stuff and new content into the Base vanilla game?

What are your opinions on this? im curious to know because I really want Classic to take off and be more successful than the Live game and hopefully blizz can boast the 10 MILLION players!!! ads again.
Personally I'm gonna do Ironman right out of the gate. I attempted it once before (In Wotlk or Cata, I think), but I never actually managed to finish it, and it just wouldn't be the same with the way the game is now.

After I'm satisfied with that... I dunno. I suppose I'll figure it out when I get there.
Why are you even asking this it hasnt even come out yet
09/27/2018 07:12 PMPosted by Ashlarius
Why are you even asking this it hasnt even come out yet

Because im bored in bed and want conversation about this topic lol. Just thought about it
This is like talking about what Master's program your newborn's going to go into.
Who says there is going to be patches? From the information we do have, it sounds a lot more like a static WoW: Classic.
09/27/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Syradra
Who says there is going to be patches? From the information we do have, it sounds a lot more like a static WoW: Classic.

Patches as in like progression through original vanilla like most private servers. Not just having NAXX available day 1
Why does it matter if it's available day 1?
Eh..., Classic can keep most people busy for 3 years. So it’s going to be a while before the majority of players, or Blizzard are worried about it.

They may say, “Classic is Classic, go play <insert next expansion here>.”

I have my doubts they’ll keep a team maintaining Classic, then a team building TBC, then a team building wrath, so on and so forth. No, I think we’ll get Classic, keep like 2 devs for debugging or fixing server issues, the rest of the people they hired will be moved to another project.
Honestly, no one knows what they will do or even have an idea. But, I will say what I HOPE they will do.

I hope they go through TBC and Wrath and then restart from there. Obviously a lot of people will hate this idea but I believe they will have to do something like this to keep classic alive. Even if they did a fresh reset of classic servers it would be better than to just leave the server stagnant. Look at any private server out there, a half a year to a year after all content has been completed, people leave.

I think WoW's greatest time in history wasnt just vanilla, but it was a trilogy leading up to the death of Arthas, everything else after that is just watered down BS.

So what I hope they will do is just sort of run through the trilogy and then start over again. I could see myself rolling one class in classic, play it through all vanilla, TBC, and wrath. And then if they started it over again, take a completely different route. This would keep things interesting and keep interests high. If you just leave it to vanilla, then rerolling a class would get old fairly quickly because you literally JUST did all that content. But if you rerolled after wrath going into a vanilla server, its almost as if its new content.

Just my 2 cents.
I wouldn't mind seeing BC be added as some sort of horizontal progression that compliments classic, instead of replacing it.
Hopefully they just add additional end game raids, keep the pvp gear equal to new raid gear, and keep professions relevant. That is all they need to do in my book. Ask for anything more, and it turns into a slippery slope of expansions that will ruin the game again.
09/27/2018 07:07 PMPosted by Kanstilxd
Sure its been mentioned before... but how do you guys want it to go after we get vanilla?

obviously play through all the patches. but after that? TBC? Ironman? something similar to Deadman mode in OSRS?

Expansion progression? but then we just run into the circle of getting to the crappy ones again which will suck.

Or take a page out of OSRS book and add stuff and new content into the Base vanilla game?

What are your opinions on this? im curious to know because I really want Classic to take off and be more successful than the Live game and hopefully blizz can boast the 10 MILLION players!!! ads again.

First things first, Blizzard works in mysterious ways. Maybe Classic is all they will ever do in this regard; no extra content. However, Blizzard had to know what they were getting themselves into by doing this Classic in the first place. I am confident if Blizzard really wanted to, they could have started working on this during MoP, the whole modern infrastructure thing. I think the most striking statement by Blizzard so far on this topic had to do with two different versions of the same game. One has the latest and greatest, and the other?
Blizzard knew some people would automatically start clamoring for a
Classic BC version as well, whether or not they were willing to do it. And these cries will grow the longer the original Classic game goes on. Not everyone of course.

After putting thorough thought into it, I stand firm in that Classic should not be altered from the original game. I am willing to compromise a little when it comes to patches or progression, but additional alterations should be avoided for the integrity of the game.

If we ever come to the impasse of what’s next, naturally, I would say Burning Crusade. I would like to see some way for Classic to remain a sandbox, where a player could choose never to go to Outland or gain one experience point passed level 60 through some sort of copy option mechanism to Burning Crusade, for posterity. I just wonder how that would work out in RL.

It wouldn’t break my heart if Blizzard simply progressed through expansions as before, with the same time line.
09/28/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Gygen

First things first, Blizzard works in mysterious ways. Maybe Classic is all they will ever do in this regard; no extra content. However, Blizzard had to know what they were getting themselves into by doing this Classic in the first place. I am confident if Blizzard really wanted to, they could have started working on this during MoP, the whole modern infrastructure thing. I think the most striking statement by Blizzard so far on this topic had to do with two different versions of the same game. One has the latest and greatest, and the other?
Blizzard knew some people would automatically start clamoring for a
Classic BC version as well, whether or not they were willing to do it. And these cries will grow the longer the original Classic game goes on. Not everyone of course.

After putting thorough thought into it, I stand firm in that Classic should not be altered from the original game. I am willing to compromise a little when it comes to patches or progression, but additional alterations should be avoided for the integrity of the game.

If we ever come to the impasse of what’s next, naturally, I would say Burning Crusade. I would like to see some way for Classic to remain a sandbox, where a player could choose never to go to Outland or gain one experience point passed level 60 through some sort of copy option mechanism to Burning Crusade, for posterity. I just wonder how that would work out in RL.

It wouldn’t break my heart if Blizzard simply progressed through expansions as before, with the same time line.

I think you made some good points. Personally, I would love to see the game progress to BC, and even maybe WotLK. I have no love for Cata and beyond.

I think that it would make most sense to have Vanilla and a separate BC server. Then people could "character copy" their Vanilla character to the BC server. At which point the same character could progress through BC, and keep the option of playing Vanilla as well.

It's a cool idea, and I would believe that Blizzard is already at that technological point... but the question is - would they do something like that? I surmise it's really going to be determined by demand. How much business there would be for it? Blizzard follows the money. If the demand is there Blizzard might follow through.

The community has been clamoring for Vanilla WoW for a while, and now we've finally got Classic. It is possible they will progress through the other expansions, but the question is if the demand from the players will be there or not.

Edit: Grammar fixes.
well, then Tbc we go though outland again! woooohoooo
Most people seem to have love for the triad, including Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath. Doesn't seem to be much interest beyond those three.

I would love to see them create and maintain servers for all three. Let the players decide when it's time to move on to the new servers.

TBC was just as great as vanilla. I'm hopefull they redo TBC in a few years and give the option of transferring your character to play that expansion.

Vanilla and TBC deserve to be museums. They are classics. Argument could be made for Wrath, too, but my opinion is Wrath introduced too many features that have made WoW what it is today, and that's not a good thing.
09/28/2018 10:19 AMPosted by Naximus
Most people seem to have love for the triad, including Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath. Doesn't seem to be much interest beyond those three.

I would love to see them create and maintain servers for all three. Let the players decide when it's time to move on to the new servers.

Agreed. I probably played most it Wrath. It was a high point for general class mechanics and gameplay. I tried a lot of things in Vanilla, only hunter really stuck. It wasn't until BC that I started getting into Paladin, and by Wrath I had Warlock leveled and Druid was on my radar.

Not that Wrath was perfect, but I probably did have more fun with it that any other expansion before or after. I suppose ideal for me would be Wrath's class design stitched into TBC's game mechanics.

Truthfully though I didn't stop playing TBC or Wrath due to boredom. Even with 3 characters in various stages of raid progression during Wrath there was stuff left I wanted to do. I just ran out of time before the next expansion dropped. I'd love to eventually see separate servers for TBC and Wrath as well.
Honestly, I think it's in bliz' best interest to do it like this
open a classic server
after x many years open a TBC server, while opening a permanent refreshed classic server.
Few years later open a wrath server, and than open a permenent refreshed tbc server.
And so on. They now have a main progression server, and permanent fresh xpack servers as well. It will keep people busy for decades. They get bored of progression, or feel like going back, poof they have that option. and they can just keep bouncing around.
Whats after classic? Retail will probably have azerite mission boards to make your class stronger.

I love TBC I felt complete and so on in it, did so many things no regrets.

Classic there were so many things I did not do.