What’s acceptable?

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next
I have it on good authority that there is a 100% correlation between butts and death. Everyone who has died has had a butt.

You might have a butt right now.
10/02/2018 02:09 AMPosted by Fateweaver
10/02/2018 02:01 AMPosted by Azhaar
In a meta sense that would be perfectly accurate, given how delusional most of the modern population is about almost everything. The internet has truly turned us all into screaming, tinfoil-hat ninnies.

Wow, I'm dour tonight. Sorry, I should probably quit posting.

My mom, when I was 12: don't believe everything you read on the internet
My mom, now: you wouldn't BELIEVE what I just READ on FACEBOOK! FLOUR CAUSES CANCER!!!!!!!

It's the gluten, it'll get ya. Lock your bedroom door or it will sneak in at night.
10/02/2018 02:11 AMPosted by Azhaar
I have it on good authority that there is a 100% correlation between butts and death. Everyone who has died has had a butt.

You know why we always say "Power to the Forsaken!"?

It's because our butts rotted off long ago.

We have truly conquered death.
10/02/2018 01:35 AMPosted by Cannibal
I'd love to see the data collected showing an increase in "!@# ooc" behavior in characters that are tall.

Being snide doesn't help. Nobody implied there's any hard data. The data is in peoples experiences being made lesser because of a group of people that have repeatedly done the same things. Until that experience is replaced with experiences that don't make them want to avoid that group, they're going to continue wanting to avoid that group.

10/02/2018 01:35 AMPosted by Cannibal
Like I said, you're free to have whatever bias you prefer, but I'm not gonna stop trying to advocate against prejudices and stereotyping certain concepts, especially when it involves, again, something as insignificant as height.

I'm glad peoples negative experiences with every or almost every individual that have used methods like this in their RP is considered 'insignificant'. You're a good RPer, Cannibal. If it's a concern that we're stereotyping you, we're not. You've proven that you're not one of the people that create this entire stereotype to begin with.

If other people want to prove that they're not the stereotype, the onus is on them, not the people you're telling are being prejudiced as if not wanting to suffer through unenjoyable RP is somehow something they should be ashamed of.

10/02/2018 02:09 AMPosted by Fateweaver
10/02/2018 02:01 AMPosted by Azhaar
In a meta sense that would be perfectly accurate, given how delusional most of the modern population is about almost everything. The internet has truly turned us all into screaming, tinfoil-hat ninnies.

Wow, I'm dour tonight. Sorry, I should probably quit posting.

My mom, when I was 12: don't believe everything you read on the internet
My mom, now: you wouldn't BELIEVE what I just READ on FACEBOOK! FLOUR CAUSES CANCER!!!!!!!

Did you know? Every person who had cancer was -at some point- alive. I think I've found the link here.

...Maybe Sylvanas has a point. Hm.
I joke but the negative connotation of being tall IC, I don't really get. Child RP can be weird and annoying, even when perfectly innocent in intention. But hating all "tall RP", if there is such a thing, I don't really agree with.
At the end of the day.

Do what you want. Focus on your own fun. Unless you're actively trying to force people who do not want to play pretend with you then there's no issue.

Worrying about the opinions of people who don't matter (Us) is a trap you don't want to fall into.
Obviously if they're ERPing (it happens, and it needs to stop)

I'm gonna need some weapons grade brain bleach.
10/02/2018 02:11 AMPosted by Azhaar

Boy do I ever.
I wish I had twice as many butts.

*sigh*
I'm sure the ones you have are stolen, Karma.
10/02/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Karmas

*sigh*

I can help with this.
I'm glad peoples negative experiences with every or almost every individual that have used methods like this in their RP is considered 'insignificant'. You're a good RPer, Cannibal. If it's a concern that we're stereotyping you, we're not. You've proven that you're not one of the people that create this entire stereotype to begin with.

If other people want to prove that they're not the stereotype, the onus is on them, not the people you're telling are being prejudiced as if not wanting to suffer through unenjoyable RP is somehow something they should be ashamed of.
This is literally the same argument used by white nationalists to justify their stereotyping and racial profiling of non-white minorities.

Insanity.
Okay? I'm justifying people not wanting to harm their experience in a video game, not racism.

Are these one in the same now?

Edit --> I'm sorry about your friend, Zen.
10/02/2018 04:41 PMPosted by Shomin
Okay? I'm justifying people not wanting to harm their experience in a video game, not racism.

Are these one in the same now?
No I think he was saying they're the same principle. Not the same level of social impact and danger. Which, sorry but yeah that part is true. You shouldn't place a responsibility on certain people to have to prove they're not horrible, because of minor, inconsequential things like character height.

EDIT: And I know, people are going to say "but you hate child RP!" Yeah, I hate child RP, but I don't hate all child RPers. I just don't care for that RP.

I've recently become of the philosophy that all this "X RP means Y in real life" stuff is mostly unsubstantiated horse !@#$. People imagine connections because they saw 5 RPers that are orc warriors who are mean in real life, but they won't notice all the orc RPers that aren't horrible because as humans, we tend not to take note of positive and neutral experiences. In other words, "Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses".
Fair enough. They are the same principle - but applying it to a scenario in a video game where people's money and time are being spent, a very valuable commodity, doesn't seem that unreasonable does it? Should I go out of my way to trust other people if I've had specifically bad experiences? It's a video game. I work 40 hours a week. This week, I've worked 48. Why should I risk wasting my time over it when I don't particularly want to? Again, it's a -video game-.

If people want to do that, great, good for them. More power to them - I do genuinely respect their patience and willingness to work with other people. I don't have that patience. I don't think that's inherently a bad thing.

Also, where'd it come up that any of us -hate- these particular people? I don't think anyone said that. At least I don't recall seeing it. If that somehow came across in any of my posts, I'm sorry for coming across that way. I definitely don't have the interest in hating someone over something as silly as how they enjoy their game. I just don't feel the need to risk my enjoyment over it, myself, and I don't really feel like it's reasonable to shame other people for the same.

Edit --> To clarify, character height isn't really the problem here. The problem is the people using it in such a fashion that it comes across as negative for people they interact with. I don't care about growth potion use because I've never interacted with people who did use them negatively.

This can apply to literally any scenario - but most of those scenario's don't have problems like this. If they did, and it was over something as silly as a video-game? I'd apply the same argument. Nobody's entitled to RP. If you're doing something you know has a bad reputation, at some point you just have to accept that you're going to get a bad reputation by association.

Keep at it and you will eventually prove that you're not doing it to powergame or whatever and eventually you'll overcome that bad reputation, like Crowley has.
I dislike having to RP with living beings, but eh you get used to it.
10/02/2018 04:50 PMPosted by Shomin
Fair enough. They are the same principle - but applying it to a scenario in a video game where people's money and time are being spent, a very valuable commodity, doesn't seem that unreasonable does it?
I mean to me, personally? Yes, it does. But obviously it's your time and money, and you can discriminate at your discretion, that's not my call.

If people want to do that, great, good for them. More power to them - I do genuinely respect their patience and willingness to work with other people.
As someone who does it regularly, I can promise it's not that hard to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to things like... character tallness.

I don't have that patience. I don't think that's inherently a bad thing.
Ehhh... very few things are inherently bad things.

I just don't feel the need to risk my enjoyment over it, myself.
I think it's more that you're being a little dramatic when you say that RPing with people who have tall characters is "risking your enjoyment". And if you're not exaggerating, I'm sorry your enjoyment is that easily destroyed, that's gotta be rough.
My personal enjoyment isn't destroyed by the character being tall. It's destroyed by people using it to power game over me and act like an !@#, or just being obnoxious to the point of ridiculousness. At which point, I leave. If at any point you're actually bullying, harassing, or being mean-spirited to someone over this, it's a serious issue that has overtaken simply handling your own enjoyment and going on your way. I'm trying to explain my position on it without coming across as if I'm doing any of those things, because I swear that I'm not trying to, so it's probably just amounting to a big miscommunication. I would never confront anyone over this in an effort to 'fix' them, or anything absurd like that. That's going too far and definitely -is- being unreasonable.

Anyway. This discussion has more or less met its conclusion and any more of it is just going to be us saying the same things over and over, so. Sorry if I came across as overly harsh or unfair to anyone with any of this. I'm just a selfish $%^- when it comes to my gameplay time, so I inherently sympathize with other people who have similar issues when they're not abusing others.

Have a great day, you all.

--> I edited this post multiple times to try and put my thoughts out there more clearly. Not trying to hide anything. I'm just really bad at vocalizing what I'm thinking without coming across wrong, which definitely -is- on my aforementioned list of priorities to try and fix for myself.

I think I need a personal editor. Or PR person. Anyone looking for a job and willing to accept pizza as payment?
10/02/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Baenura
10/02/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Karmas

*sigh*

I can help with this.

They said twice, not ten times.