Island expeditions

General Discussion
Why do these STILL suck? Almost no reward and it is completely unclear on how to obtain pets and mounts because Blizzard wants us all to have to spend our lives grinding away.

Yes there is speculation on how the mounts and pets are obtained but there has been no confirmation from blizzard. IF what people say is true and you have to wait until phase three to get the right adds to spawn to kill and plunder then that system is rewarding people for not gathering resources as quickly as possible to beat the enemy team...which is bass ackwards big time. If a team can gather all their resources well before the other team as quickly as possible without having to suppress the enemy team then that is clearly the most victorious victory, whether it be in pve or pvp mode, and should be rewarded accordingly.

The expeditions need a serious overhaul in the maps (rotation and type) and rewards department as well as rewarding GOOD play not illogical play.
I agree completely. I was recently told that I was an idiot, a dumbass, yada, yada, because I didn't know about some obscure Youtube video that said entering portals may increase your chance at loot, pets, mounts, whatever. This was all while I was simply trying to loot Azerite to finish the expedition so I could move on to the next one.

If this was the intent of these expeditions, then it is a MAJOR fail.
In normal (not sure on heroic and mythic as i haven't tested it myself), the rare event spawn when there is a total of 6k azerite gained between BOTH teams. So if you have 4k and they have 2k it pops. There is no way to "finish it quick enough" to NOT see the rare wave spawn.

I do however agree with your overall point of them still feeling underwhelming. Just wanted to fill you in on how those rare waves spawn. :D
So, what's your point? Where is there any information that rare event spawns earn more loot? Where is there any information that winning quickly is actually detrimental if you want loot? Why isn't there loot for actually winning the expedition?
09/28/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Robataille
So, what's your point? Where is there any information that rare event spawns earn more loot? Where is there any information that winning quickly is actually detrimental if you want loot? Why isn't there loot for actually winning the expedition?

https://www.wowhead.com/island-expeditions-collection-rewards

There ya go! All of that info is tried, tested, and true! I think the system can be better but this is how it works.

Edit: Since we have learned of how the rewards are obtained, me and 2 guildies have gotten scores of pets and transmog (some VERY cool looking pieces). Even got the mogu mount tonight!
Well I have gotten a mount, lots of gear and thirteen or so pets so far. Fighting only rares is the way to go imo. Also when phase three starts do your best to focus on all the themed bosses that pop. Even doing that im over 300 matches and I get a rep token turn in about every 5 games, gear every 15, a pet every 25 or a so and 1 mount in 300.
09/28/2018 10:35 PMPosted by Fightox
09/28/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Robataille

There ya go! All of that info is tried, tested, and true! I think the system can be better but this is how it works.

So, that's great. That's Wowhead. That's not Blizzard. Blizzard needs to come out and say this. Not Wowhead. Not some people who feed Wowhead with statistics. If there is no point in winning the Island Expedition, it would be prudent that the source reveals that.
09/28/2018 10:38 PMPosted by Robataille
09/28/2018 10:35 PMPosted by Fightox

So, that's great. That's Wowhead. That's not Blizzard. Blizzard needs to come out and say this. Not Wowhead. Not some people who feed Wowhead with statistics. If there is no point in winning the Island Expedition, it would be prudent that the source reveals that.

Oh i totally agree bud! The collection tab needs an overhaul imho to give much more info on where "stuff" is obtained! It just seemed to me like you and the OP were unsure how exactly it all worked. Was just letting you know! :)
The way I see it, considering you get 70k per island expedition it's sort of like an alternative to quest and pvp levelling.

The more I think of it like that, the more I start liking it, also that mode gave me a fancy red hat.
I read that Reddit post and the associated wowhead article on how to target stuff from the island expeditions.

Then I did three heroics, quickly explained the basics to the other folks, and we tried to target stuff to get drops.

I don't know how the others did with drops, but I got nothing, as usual.

I know it's only three of them, and maybe one or two of the people I got grouped with got something. But there's nothing that says to me that the drop chances are increased - got nothing before, still getting nothing now.

I checked in with some guildies, and they have seen the same - no apparent change to them. One of them got a quest drop item that sent them to Booty Bay that rewarded AP. Oh, joy. The pet collectors are bummed, cause they will either make their fingers bleed and minds turn to mush farming them for pets for months and months, or go broke buying them off the AH. I still can't get two others interested in a group to do it on mythic, in the hopes that will increase the drops.

Maybe you have to do a dozen or two dozen or more for the increased loot chances to have a visible effect. But that's a lot of boring content on the hopes that you get a pet, and there are like 28 of them, not to mention toys, mounts, and transmog. At least with a slot machine, you get some smaller payouts, but this is like a jackpot only machine, and the odds are really, really low.

It just isn't fun, nor is it rewarding. I'm trying to force myself to do one each day, in the hopes that in the long run it will pay off, but even doing that is like a chore that I dread. That's not the attitude I want to have for this game, but there it is.
Ive done... I dunno maybe 20 or 30? A few on the main and working my DK and mage up and when I get tired of questing Ill do a few.

have 100+ dubloons on the main and some on the alts. I have won a pet... thats it. I dont know what the % drops are and really I dont care that much. I looked up the recolor armor and mounts on wowhead and there was zilch in there that I wanted. I guess it would probably take about 10000 runs to get a full armor set anyways, and I would have stabbed myself to death with a pencil long before I finished that many....
Instead of 0.01% drop rate its 0.02% drop rate. HF with your bore Expeditions boys!
I'm having a lot more fun with them now that I know how to hone in on the rewards.

Tonight alone, I've gotten four quest items, and a pet. That's a lot of rep when you think about it. And the pet's always a welcome addition.

And on my shaman earlier in the week, I managed to get a couple of things. I got like...two pets, and a transmog chest. Totally worth it.
As soon as I read the mmo-champ articles on how to maximize your reward chances I changed my approach to these.

I got 3 pets yesterday, and a bunch of quest turn ins for big azerite rewards..
One was the coolest pet I have ever seen in game "Captain nibs".
The other two where only meh, a turtle and a wind-serpent.

Often I am the only person killing the phase 3 invasion rares letting the group know they have spawned and to check the mini map for red coastal X clusters.

I agree that is poor design, prolonging the event seems counter intuitive.
If they made the invasions just start right away there would be no conflict among people queuing either.

I actually got kicked from one by people who don't understand what to do to get the rewards. 29 minute lockout for not following a death-knight who had no clue.
I dont mind low rates, but at least let us use the coins to buy the rewards as well.
09/28/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Gorelight
Why do these STILL suck? Almost no reward and it is completely unclear on how to obtain pets and mounts because Blizzard wants us all to have to spend our lives grinding away.

Yes there is speculation on how the mounts and pets are obtained but there has been no confirmation from blizzard. IF what people say is true and you have to wait until phase three to get the right adds to spawn to kill and plunder then that system is rewarding people for not gathering resources as quickly as possible to beat the enemy team...which is bass ackwards big time. If a team can gather all their resources well before the other team as quickly as possible without having to suppress the enemy team then that is clearly the most victorious victory, whether it be in pve or pvp mode, and should be rewarded accordingly.

The expeditions need a serious overhaul in the maps (rotation and type) and rewards department as well as rewarding GOOD play not illogical play.

Kill the silver rares - good luck convincing a pug group that is the best way to play it though.
Done maybe a dozen or so of these.

0 rewards.

Never doing them again.
I've washed my hands of Island Expeditions. They just aren't worth doing. I don't find them "unfun" to do... just "unrewarding".

I really want certain mogs from them but there's so many layers of rng that even with the supposed buff they made to drop rates, I still only get dubloons and rep turn ins that I don't need (cause I'm exalted with everything).

Until Blizzard puts the mogs on a vendor and lets me buy them with dubloons I have no incentive to do Island Expeditions. If I cant reliably/eventually get what I want it's just not worth wasting my time on them.

This "target such and such a mob/event" IF they are up is BS. I am not interested in doing the dance of the seven friggin veils just for a chance at a specific drop. Its the same theme as the rest of BfA--Too Much Effort For Too Little Reward.

I look at it this way. I'm not going to waste my time in what is essentially a timed scenario, to try and target things that are still beholden to the rng. It's a friggin waste of my time and while I don't hate IE's I don't find them particularly compelling content either, specifically because of the timed nature of them.

If they were something I could explore at leisure it might be fun but right now its just a race to hit the number before the other side does and its still an uphill battle with the rng.

If island expeditions stay in the same !@#$ty state they are in currently, I just won't do them and hopefully the AH will become so flooded with the mogs I want I'll be able to grab them on the cheap rather than waste my time in content that constantly tells me to go %^-* myself when it comes to rewards.
Because you are still doing it wrong? Island is great for leveling.