If you hate BFA, you'l Hate Classic.

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 10 Next
<span class="truncated">...</span>

lol....yea no.

Edit: reread the bolded remarks lol.

most professions had 3 day cooldowns. Remember mooncloth? yea i remember moon cloth... no effort... just time.

Leveling was a flat our grind at certain points. No effort.... just took time.

the only things that took effort were raids. but you needed to get the right profession gear to even enter and the professions all had ridiculous cooldowns.

Your not describing a time gate dude, pathfinder parts 1 and 2 is a time gate, the warfronts are a really lame time gate, leveling in classic wasn't a time gate just took a while.

yes hunni we understand there have been time gates on materials from the begging. lmao....

That's not what people are complaining about at all. like how does one come to the conclusion of this poster? just pure dribble that has 0 thought attached to it.
10/01/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Snaape
Vanilla was for sure a grindfest. I remember a few of them I did which were absolutely terrible. The cenarion circle in silithus was pretty bad, the timerbaw was really bad, and the PVP grind, in which i went to field marshal was probably the worst thing I've ever done in wow. That was the grind to end all grinds.

You needed to be attuned to most raids to get into them. UBRs needed a key which was hard to get and I was the only person i knew who got it. MC needed a BRD dive and hydraxion rep, and BWL needed a UBRs dive. I don't remember needing any attunement for aq40, and I never made it to Nax in vanilla, so I'm not sure if there were any attunement for that.

It'll be interesting, depending on what you're after. if you're after nostalgia, I feel like that magic is gone. You can never recreate your experiences, no matter how hard you try. If you're trying to create a new experience for yourself, you might be able to do that. I plan on trying it out, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

There wasn’t one rep in Classic that you needed. MC could be raided up to the last two bosses with zero rep. I think Honored or Revered was the only thing you needed for the water and that was extremely easy to get since trash still gave rep to Revered.

They eventually added a short cut to MC and BWL and since Classic will be based on the last patch, there won’t be a need for a “dive.”

For AQ 20/40 you walked in after the opening event.

Naxx didn’t require rep to get in but having rep made your attunement cheaper.

p.s. the Cenarion Circle, Timbermaw and PvP grind was completely optional.
10/01/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Törbjorn
It's just that simple.

Those of you that don't remember vanilla or have never played.... it is like... 10000000000 times more of a time gated gind fest with like 0 modern content.

You're gonna have nostalgia blinders for the first few weeks, but then you'll realize how much of a pain vanilla was. QoL was not existent. Bugs were everywhere. Things were over/undertuned. And you had to wait FOREVER to even start end game.

Also... there were patches of leveling that could take weeks because there were no quests available.

Nope. Despite your thoughts i have thoughts of my own. Hard pill to swallow i know but there it is.
WOW moved towards what it was in wrath because bliz listened to what players found wrong with vanilla and burning crusade.

There is no Thottbot to look stuff up on.

Wait until you realize that anyone can be a quest giver and they don't have handy ! over there head

Leveling each weapon type .

Got that new amazing lever 50 weapon, but is is a hammer and all you have leveled is your old 2h sword.

Of course warriors could take a ranged rifle and use it to pull things.

There was good times, but I'm of the memory that it was playing with real life friends and such a lot more than vanilla.

I'd almost bet that after the first month there will be the same never ending requests for QOL changes.

One soon will be that 10 slot bags are big, 12 almost unheard of.

hunters and locks fill up their bags with ammo or shards, and pet food and all the things one needs.

The instance group with the lock has to wait while he farms bags of shards

Reagents to summon or cast water breathing or to cast mage portal

The old relics

Hunters need / want two melee weapons and a ranged weapon, They can pretty much use / roll need / greed on every weapon drop that is an upgrade.

Walk to the entrance to every instance or BG

Maybe have sufficient gold to buy a 60% mount eventually, and the 100% one, good luck.

I could see a mixture of old and new to make something that was better, but I did that in vanilla and have zero desire to relive it as it was, and if bliz starts changing things up, then might as well play BFA since after all the nerfs and slow leveling it is vanilla light and about as irritating.
10/01/2018 09:42 AMPosted by Goofygoober
It's just that simple.

Those of you that don't remember vanilla or have never played.... it is like... 10000000000 times more of a time gated gind fest with like 0 modern content.

You're gonna have nostalgia blinders for the first few weeks, but then you'll realize how much of a pain vanilla was. QoL was not existent. Bugs were everywhere. Things were over/undertuned. And you had to wait FOREVER to even start end game.

Also... there were patches of leveling that could take weeks because there were no quests available.

Nope. Despite your thoughts i have thoughts of my own. Hard pill to swallow i know but there it is.

Well if you want to wear plate, then warrior is the only horde option you can have.

DK's don't exist
Pally is alliance only.

Shaman would be your horde choice if you like pally.

I bet rogues will be a dime a dozen. priests, warriors and maybe hunters.

Enjoy, I don't mind others leaving to play that old version.

I just hope they do not come complaining on the forums how it is hard or broken or they can't have this or do that.

Or asking why QUEUE doesn't work.

I suspect the tear drinkers are gonna fill up real fast.
10/01/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Tovi
10/01/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Snaape
Vanilla was for sure a grindfest. I remember a few of them I did which were absolutely terrible. The cenarion circle in silithus was pretty bad, the timerbaw was really bad, and the PVP grind, in which i went to field marshal was probably the worst thing I've ever done in wow. That was the grind to end all grinds.

You needed to be attuned to most raids to get into them. UBRs needed a key which was hard to get and I was the only person i knew who got it. MC needed a BRD dive and hydraxion rep, and BWL needed a UBRs dive. I don't remember needing any attunement for aq40, and I never made it to Nax in vanilla, so I'm not sure if there were any attunement for that.

It'll be interesting, depending on what you're after. if you're after nostalgia, I feel like that magic is gone. You can never recreate your experiences, no matter how hard you try. If you're trying to create a new experience for yourself, you might be able to do that. I plan on trying it out, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

There wasn’t one rep in Classic that you needed. MC could be raided up to the last two bosses with zero rep. I think Honored or Revered was the only thing you needed for the water and that was extremely easy to get since trash still gave rep to Revered.

They eventually added a short cut to MC and BWL and since Classic will be based on the last patch, there won’t be a need for a “dive.”

For AQ 20/40 you walked in after the opening event.

Naxx didn’t require rep to get in but having rep made your attunement cheaper.

p.s. the Cenarion Circle, Timbermaw and PvP grind was completely optional.

I know they are optional, but it was content. If all you want to do is raid ZG, MC, BWL, AQ, then you are golden. Those 40 man raids will be mostly exactly how you remembered. Though the boss strats are very simplistic compared to bosses now. You are also going to need to farm resist gear, at least some people will, which is an annoying task. When you die in MC and spawn in the graveyard at thorium point, that is a big QOL downgrade. Anyway, not trying to talk crap about classic. It's still a great idea and will be fun for a while for me.
I don't understand why people like the OP always jump to the conclusion that they are going to recreate Vanilla with all the bugs of the original.

Do you honestly think they COULD recreate the bugs even if they wanted to? I'm pretty sure it will have a whole new set of bugs. Just like BfA.
10/01/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Dancingjoker
I hate BFA for it's lack of PvP vendor and shoehorned PvE RNG lootbox system shoved into my PvP. So.....what was that about Classic being the same again?

So grinding honor all week praying you earn enough for another piece to rank up tuesday and not knowing for sure if you did or not is a better system to you?

So you trade one RNG box per game, for one RNG chance per week. Seems legit.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

Your not describing a time gate dude, pathfinder parts 1 and 2 is a time gate, the warfronts are a really lame time gate, leveling in classic wasn't a time gate just took a while.

the time gated portions were all around level 44-55ish. There were few to no quests. I remember because I leveled all the classes in vanilla. The time gate was the artificial slowdown around those levels. it took 10x as long to level from like 45-50 than it did to get to 45.

It's a time gate mechanic of the past mmos.

No that is not a time game. A time gate is getting 5 quests a day and then you're stuck until the next day to progress.

If you play 3 days a week but still put in 30 hours of gameplay you will still be 4 days behind someone who puts in 2 hours a week but logs in everyday.
10/01/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Tankanbank
10/01/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Dancingjoker
I hate BFA for it's lack of PvP vendor and shoehorned PvE RNG lootbox system shoved into my PvP. So.....what was that about Classic being the same again?

So grinding honor all week praying you earn enough for another piece to rank up tuesday and not knowing for sure if you did or not is a better system to you?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

This. The vanilla PVP grind was THE WORST. I was unemployed during the time, so I was able to drop a ridiculous amount of hours into this. Anyone without that kind of time is going to have a hell of a time getting pvp gear in classic.
10/01/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Dontcarebear
I don't understand why people like the OP always jump to the conclusion that they are going to recreate Vanilla with all the bugs of the original.

Do you honestly think they COULD recreate the bugs even if they wanted to? I'm pretty sure it will have a whole new set of bugs. Just like BfA.

None of it makes sense. No one is forcing them to play but yet the thought of other people going to Classic makes them foam at the mouth.
Grinding for a known reward is satisfying.

Grinding for an unknown reward cause of unnecessary RNG is not.

Edit: RNG in an MMO is fine but the level of RNG in recent expansions is far too much for very little payoff and thus is extremely unsatisfying.
Potatoes patatoes.

Why get hung up on the definition of "time gate."

Aside from some no-lifer living in game 24-7 to progress beyond others really does change the fact that you are relying on other no-lifers to progress at your rate.

Essentially you are just creating your own time gate when you get to the end and have to sit around for X amount of time for the rest to catch up so you can complete that content.

Method had no issues in completing the mythic raid within 3-4 weeks after release. I dont think any time gating held them back...
The best thing about classic was leveling out of it to BC content.

Getting flying was the pinnacle of WoW achievement. Once the skies were open at max level every expansion was a fulfilling progression reward system where exploration exploded with a feeling of freedom and accomplishment at max level.

Which is why WoD to today is the decline of fun in WoW. Not just because of pathfinder, but new, innovative ideas that just plain suck. Scaling, progression nerf-a-thons on heirlooms, ability pruning, GCD overkill, excessive time gating, and a development team that thinks avoiding the forums is their own safe space.
10/01/2018 09:54 AMPosted by Snaape
10/01/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Tankanbank

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

This. The vanilla PVP grind was THE WORST. I was unemployed during the time, so I was able to drop a ridiculous amount of hours into this. Anyone without that kind of time is going to have a hell of a time getting pvp gear in classic.

The guy is literally complaining about BFA not having PvP vendors, and RNG loot. I mean, has he even looked into Classic?

He's in for a rude awakening when hes just spamming games or hunting people to kill praying he hit the invisible number that lets him rank up to a new piece of gear.

Because from my recollection, you were never told if you made it.
I for one will enjoy wow feeling like a mmorpg again.
It's just that simple.

Oh you mean I couldn’t grind timber maw rep indefinitely until exalted...

Because you know, I did.

OP has clearly not played Classic or has forgotten what it was like.
Vanilla wasn't perfect and there were certainly QoL changes made that I dread losing (can't wait to loot each individual corpse...yay).

But to say if you hate BfA you'll hate Classic makes so little sense to me. Thy are essentially two completely different games (within the same genre) at this point. Not even remotely clones of each other anymore, so saying my attitude toward one will be the same towards the other is simply weird.

No idea how much I'll like Classic, as I only started playing in BC. But I do look forward to the different experience.
Classic WoW wasn't necessarily "hard" its just most of us were scrubs back in the day and the game took a LOT more time. The grind just to get to level cap was along and difficult journey that the people complaining about BFA leveling would probably gouge their eyes out over

Also, since this was Blizzard's VERY FIRST shot at an MMO, it was a big learning experience for them and a lotta tuning wasn't perfect. 1/2 button rotations, crazy strong or weak mobs, not enough quests in many zones, wonky AF PvP balance, etc

But there are the people who preferred it that way
10/01/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Novà
Grinding for a known reward is satisfying.

Grinding for an unknown reward cause of unnecessary RNG is not.

Edit: RNG in an MMO is fine but the level of RNG in recent expansions is far too much for very little payoff and thus is extremely unsatisfying.

I cant agree with this more. grinding towards that goal is satisfying. Knowing the reward I will get is what I want and I can grind towards it at whatever pace I like. rng has always been part of the game, but its soo over the top right now I find all I do is swear at my monitor everytime I get a piece of gear I already have or is worse than what I have. first week of warfronts got the 370 gloves from quest, great!! then got gloves from mythic chest..... then got gloves off world boss..... then got fing gloves off the quest from doing 4 mythics weekly......^%%^^%$$%^%. fine, move on to making the boots in leather working. Great my rng for expulsome lead me to getting 45 hydrocore before I even had 30 expulsom.. ok whatever make the boots.... worst possible 2 stats for me making them worse than the 340's I was wearing, rng stats can go to hell, cant even sell them as they BoP.... grrrrr. all bull!@#$...

and don't even get me started on the 2 bags of azurite crap in my bags because I have no idea what blizz will be buffing or nerfing.. its such a mess right now, how can anyone be happy with this mess