what if wow classic turns into a reboot

Classic Discussion
I always thought of this as a way to bring fresh content to an old game.

Things get out of control in the dialogue/events of an expansion, and Chromie goes full FALLOUT and restarts the timeline from one saved point or desired point.

Kinda of what is happening now. BLizz knew many people wouldn't be happy with the events of BFA (I vividly include myself there), so they get Chromie to make a time line reset from one point, resulting in classic.
Yet, there's potential for making a whole new order of events, given that we are affecting "the past" or we are totally in another universe.

That would be cool and an interesting way for different events. AS long as they put Draenei girls, sexy armor and monks, I'm fine.
10/03/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Amariel
I always thought of this as a way to bring fresh content to an old game.

Things get out of control in the dialogue/events of an expansion, and Chromie goes full FALLOUT and restarts the timeline from one saved point or desired point.

Kinda of what is happening now. BLizz knew many people wouldn't be happy with the events of BFA (I vividly include myself there), so they get Chromie to make a time line reset from one point, resulting in classic.
Yet, there's potential for making a whole new order of events, given that we are affecting "the past" or we are totally in another universe.

[/quote]

That'd be pretty awesome not gonna lie!
The only Warcraft reboot I'll accept is a single-player game, preferably an RPG in the vein of The Elder Scrolls, that takes place in the Warcraft movie's continuity.

But this is Blizzard, and they only do games that can be turned into eSports.

Well, except Classic WoW. So yeah... NO expansions for Classic, please. <3
They are going to turn Thrall into a transgender strong independent black woman fighting the patriarchy. We are going to have all 64 gender options. The goblins will be the ruling class that will be blaming the kor kron for right wing extremism as the undead suicide bomb the durotar orphanage.

World of Warcraft: ITS 2018 GUYS
10/03/2018 04:41 PMPosted by Howlback
Wouldn't that defeat the entire purpose of Classic WoW? I would imagine the people that really want the classic experience would want a slavish recreation of Burning Crusade, not an alternate take on it.

It depends a lot on what you're interested about when it comes to the "Classic experience".

Some people want to play the game exactly as it was back in 1.12. I'll call these the purists.

Others, like me, see no issues with the idea of changing and expanding the game, but only if following the original design philosophies. We are only upset with modern WoW because it changed and expanded in a completely wrong way, adopting design philosophies that ended up emptying and butchering the game in the long run. We'll call these the retro guys.

Even though I'm a retro guy, I'm part of the #nochanges team, because a purist Classic experience would be enjoyable for both purists and retro guys and would also demand the least investment from Blizzard.

Once we get an "unchanged" Classic WoW, Blizz can gauge its success and decide if it's worthy to invest on developing new Vanilla-like content.

I would certainly play expansions that stay true to the original design philosophies, but I would like Blizzard to keep unchanged Classic servers too, so the purists can still do their thing.
10/04/2018 06:53 AMPosted by Asdomeus

I would certainly play expansions that stay true to the original design philosophies, but I would like Blizzard to keep unchanged Classic servers too, so the purists can still do their thing.

I would too, even though I'm one of the "purists." That does risk splitting the player base though, which IIRC was one of Blizzard's stated reasons for not doing Classic sooner. If you do that, then you'll have live, Classic, the new expansions, and as long as you're at it you might as well do BC and WotLK. Realistically, there's already a good chance of player retention issues 3-5 years down the line when everybody's done everything they want. How is Classic going to hold up against all that competition?
10/03/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Tentacularr
I'm imagining it'll end up like osrs with new content or they will run through the expacs to a degree. Maybe till wrath.

+1 to it being like OSRS. There's a classic game done right: keep the mechanics, add new content.
Just get some different writers this time around if it happens.

Y'know, that maybe understand that telling a story based on THESE IMPORTANT IN-WORLD CHARACTERS directly conflicts with the feel of an MMO, and that shouting CHAMPION! HERO! doesn't exactly make me care about the world or feel terribly important given that I realize these IMPORTANT CHARACTERS are what the entire stupid thing revolves around.
"Should we add content to classic" is an argument for 2-3 years down the line when there are conceivably people who are hitting the end game content wall.

Asking about it now is just a way of subtly trolling the boards.

While I would be curious to see them taking a shot at releasing the old dropped content that never made it to vanilla live like Old Hyjal and Caverns of Time, Now is not the time.

Only after Classic WoW has had a proper lifecycle, at least on par with the original release's.
I guess it's a possible scenario, but I don't think they'd consider it until classic is literally dead where they've got servers up for no reason. I would like to see other expansions come, but only as separate games like private servers, have them run side by side. The only thing is I fear even if there's a market for it Blizzard won't to do that because they'll see running more than 2 versions of WoW as simply not practical. But then Blizzard has a reputation for being up to come up with interesting ways of doing things so maybe in the future they'll think of a way to have classic-wrath work in a way we're not thinking of.

I have my own idea in fact, they could do classic-wrath using the same client and add or remove the files needed for whatever version of WoW you select in battlenet through caching. Kinda like what SC2 has with their expansion selector...the issue is I'm pretty sure that's not the same thing I'm talking about because the games update are universal...in short if we compared what SC does to WoW it'd be like playing wrath while locked at lvl 60.
Lens flair everywhere! Klingons and Romulans living together! Mass hysteria!