Explaining why the allied race rep grind is bad

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
09/26/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Caerii
They weren’t old when they released them :)

Just because they’re old now doesn’t mean they were when they came out. When they came out, you could even argue that they were new

Do you know the difference between new and old? Battle for Azeroth is WoWs newest expansion, thus Legion is an old expansion.
09/26/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Selm
09/26/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Caerii
They weren’t old when they released them :)

Just because they’re old now doesn’t mean they were when they came out. When they came out, you could even argue that they were new

Do you know the difference between new and old? Battle for Azeroth is WoWs newest expansion, thus Legion is an old expansion.

Also, let's not forget, they were a selling point for Battle for Azeroth.

I know of two people personally that were really excited about allied races and came back after playing other stuff for years, only to find out they had to level up their old character, grind out a rep with it, and start over with the new character.

Starting over with the new character wasn't a problem. Playing a long abandoned character that they didn't really want to play so that they could start over again, was.

Neither is playing WoW now.

You can say "well, that's not the kind of player we want anyway!" but truth is, any paying player is a good thing, no matter how elitist you might feel or how you think you worked for something so everyone else must, too.

It makes me wonder how many other returning players did the exact same thing.
09/26/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Caerii
09/26/2018 01:14 PMPosted by Maladon
I'd like to think that researching a purchase FOR A !@#$IGN VIDEO GAME wouldn't be necessary. Who knew the marketing department all had previous experience as used car salesmen?

There are tons of consumer goods and services out there that don’t tell you everything about them in an advertisement. It’s your responsibility as a consumer to research before you buy any products. There are laws in place by the FTC describing what companies are required to tell you, if you think this situation violates those laws, report it to the FTC. If not, then it’s your problem, and you learned a lesson for next time (hopefully).

There are companies with poor advertising practices (but legal), but that doesn’t excuse you to be a poor consumer.

Excellent job missing the point...kudos
I do not understand people at all. Races are not mounts, items, enchantments, ect. they are playable. To be tied to rep is just not good. I have been those zone were its required and the chat is not healthy. Now there are becoming ghost towns. Not because they unlocked them It because I give up.

IT is not healthy for a game to lock something this important to that a bs line if I ever heard one. My friend got a statue from wow for loyalty and just last month 4 months free game time. he been with them since the beginning. That what a company does for long time costumers. Not this crap you trying to say.

I say this no one new races were going to be launch. You still earn rep for other things. if you were not exalted by the time it came about. I be surprise long term player can honestly say that. You guys are at best being hypocrisy at its best.
To all the idiots saying "well i grinded it out, you should too!" I've probably grinded out a ton of things that are just handed to players nowadays. Weapon skills, lock picking every expansion until they changed it, etc. Should we bring that all back? I'd love it but I'm sure a whole bunch of people wouldn't. Regardless if you can't see that this is a new low for blizzard then you're really the best customer a company could hope for.
09/26/2018 04:45 AMPosted by Eranos
There was no time gating in Vanilla, so anyone saying this is flat-out wrong/being disingenuous.

No, this is a flat out lie. Most of you people can't remember back to Thursday so I'm amazed you would attempt to call people out. Attunements were actually a thing. And in BC you needed rep to do heroics. Wrath, if you wanted those shoulder enchants - you guessed it, you needed to rep grind.

Stop with your lies to push a false narrative that rep grinding for content is new.
Attunements are not time gates. They could be completed in under a calendar day.

BC? Isn't Vanilla. Wrath? Isn't Vanilla.

Wat
Because the means of grinding that rep is boring, repetitive, inorganic, and completely artificial. They could have done so many things to make the rep grind for those allied races feel meaningful, like you were actually earning their trust and getting to know those races but they opted to just recycle world quests from Legion and call it a day. There isn't a shred of imagination or creativity involved in this entire expansion, and that's the problem.
09/26/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Ralin
To all the idiots saying "well i grinded it out, you should too!" I've probably grinded out a ton of things that are just handed to players nowadays. Weapon skills, lock picking every expansion until they changed it, etc. Should we bring that all back? I'd love it but I'm sure a whole bunch of people wouldn't. Regardless if you can't see that this is a new low for blizzard then you're really the best customer a company could hope for.

It's funny because people claimed those aspects were tedious and were happy to see them removed (even though they added an RPG element to a game that now lacks anything resembling that) and yet they're perfectly fine with having massive grinds to unlock races. Races that are basically nothing more than recolored variants of what we already have.

I still enjoy little things like that, Little things that made classes feel a little bit special as well.
Something like Ammo, was probably a bit much for the style of game. But it would be nice to see it at least put in as something for hunters to think about in some way.
The way the ally races have been set up, i think of them more as wanting to get old school. But missing the point of what people want back from then.
09/28/2018 02:23 AMPosted by Huggablysoft
Because the means of grinding that rep is boring, repetitive, inorganic, and completely artificial. They could have done so many things to make the rep grind for those allied races feel meaningful, like you were actually earning their trust and getting to know those races but they opted to just recycle world quests from Legion and call it a day. There isn't a shred of imagination or creativity involved in this entire expansion, and that's the problem.

To make things worse, most world quests lost their dynamic aspect. Kill, and kill only, quests are okay but there should be more "disrupt" type quests. Let us go into an area and kill enemies, destroy weapon racks, heal allies, or any combination of the three.
I don't mind having to earn to play a sub race, but I can see why other people don't like it.

Been back since just before BFA, and it kinda feels like I'm being punished for skipping out on Legion.

"HEY! Want to play as these cool new races? Go play Legion content for a few months..."

Nearly 4 months in and the only one I have is Nightborne. FeelsBadMan
09/25/2018 11:42 PMPosted by Matcauthon
09/25/2018 11:26 PMPosted by Hexadecimal
There was no time gating in Vanilla, so anyone saying this is flat-out wrong/being disingenuous. If you wanted that rep to be at exalted, you had ability to actually grind it, instead of sit around and wait for Blizzard to allow you to slowly gain progress.

See above. If you wanted them you could get them in a few days. Honorbound took 3 weeks minimum.

You know why blizzard took away the grind all day option? Be cause people complained they felt forced to grind rep all day

I have literally never seen anyone complain that they had to grind rep all day. Most people played this game at their own pace, and if the game allowed them to play at their own pace, they didn't complain.

The first time I've seen people complain about rep grinds in this game was in MoP when you had to dailies, and only had a certain amount available per day, to rep grind to unlock the ability to do more dailies to finally be able to get gear. It was time gating, plain and simple. The first complaint about rep grinding in this game was 100% about people not liking time gating.
Tedious.
Repetitive.
Redundant.

Oh look at that those 3 words at are all synonyms for the same thing, doing something over and over. Remind of you something? *cough* WQ's *cough*
09/28/2018 02:28 AMPosted by Graewyn

It's funny because people claimed those aspects were tedious and were happy to see them removed (even though they added an RPG element to a game that now lacks anything resembling that) and yet they're perfectly fine with having massive grinds to unlock races. Races that are basically nothing more than recolored variants of what we already have.

I miss weapon skills as both a gear stat and one to grind. Getting a weapon skill over that 300 cap had SO many benefits to it, which is why rogues were practically required to always be using aged core leather gloves and core hound tooth for the longest time.
09/25/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Roshtak
Some of the beat enchants back in Vanilla were locked behind rep.

It wasnt just transmog or mounts, some of the best recipes were locked behind a rep grind.

Which is still entirely different from locking an ENTIRE RACE, after which you have to level it from scratch, and enjoy none of the (non-account wide) achieves/rep on that toon having done so. At level cap, that toon would still have to regrind all the BFA rep and they're way behind in earning azerite/gearing up.

And, yeah, you can buy your way out of leveling, but players shouldn't have to, and some can't even afford to - plus you lose the heritage armor.
09/28/2018 06:11 AMPosted by Lmaoforums

Been back since just before BFA, and it kinda feels like I'm being punished for skipping out on Legion.

"HEY! Want to play as these cool new races? Go play Legion content for a few months..."

Nearly 4 months in and the only one I have is Nightborne. FeelsBadMan

Which ones are you going for, because I have a hard time believing you only netted Nightborne after 4 months. VE and LFD are basically tied together and can be done in 3 weeks. Even if you only did the weeklies and the emissaries, I doubt it would take 4 months.
09/25/2018 11:46 PMPosted by Matcauthon
And you say we never had to grind rep for races before.
We never had races start above level 1 outside of 2 classes.
We never had 8 races release in less then a year before.
We never had races that were allied races or a prestige reward before.

Just because something has never happened doesn't mean it can't happen
No new races have been released. They have only released more colour shades of existing races.
The grind was the most useless thing i did in Wow. New expansion and i'm stuck to do same Wquests over and over again to get my advertised Iron Dwarf.

Anyway it's done, time to move on.