Azerite - Worst Itemization in WoW's History

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Inb4 mod locks the post because indie company.

Lore's response was a total cop out. Vanilla and TBC were both very different beasts in regards to community and development.

BFA, as I stated in that now locked thread, is the worst expansion launch I have ever participated in. It is literally not fun unless you are a hardcore raider.

They are, for some reason, going back to having us collect multiple sets of gear when the game currently barely allows you to collect one SOLID set of gear.

They need to get rid of azerite gear completely. All of the azerite gear currently in game should be converted to simple, normal gear of equal ilvl maybe with some bling passives.

Azerite traits should be purely in the neck and it should have its own talent tree that costs almost nothing (but something) to respec. So for example, my neck is level 20, I should get 20 points to stack onto azerite traits. SO you literally have access to every azerite ability for your class/spec and you get to choose what you want and upon changing specs it should reset to a saved template that you have set up for that spec.

Honestly, they are so disconnected with the playerbase its actually disgusting. They need to pull a Final Fantasy, publicly apologize for the mistakes they have made and reset the xpac, because as it stands we wont see a balanced or fun game until 3/4 of the way through this xpac and that is a !@#$ing disgrace.
I don't buy that the wanting certain traits thing is solved just by balancing out how much damage each trait does. In fact in some ways it makes it worse. Now that things are equalized I want certain traits to customize my gameplay in a way that's fun. Just like how we used to do with legendaries once they got balanced.

So for example, I want to be an aoe dashy boy so I pick up 1 unbound chaos, 1 revolving blades and 1 furious gaze. Now I get hasted after eye beam (which leads into a hasted fel barrage), my dash causes an aoe explosion and my short cd aoe ability costs less resource and does more dmg. Only I can't do that since I have no way to target those traits at high ilvl. Right now I have very little hope of getting exactly those 3 options that I want that I think would make the game more fun for me.
So on the subject of some azerite traits being unclear/needing simming to tell if they're good... I got a piece of 370 gear off the world boss today (I know, lucky me!) and it had this as an azerite trait:

Stronger Together
Passive
Your abilities have a chance to drop a factional banner for 10 sec, empowering you and up to 4 allies with the spirit of the alliance.

... What does that even mean? That is the entirety of the text on the trait. That tells me almost nothing.

I played around with it and found out it means that sometimes a random banner will appear from any of the alliance factions and give me a buff that is different depending on which banner it is. They, mostly, buff a secondary stat though one buffs primary and one buffs attack power.

That should really be more clear in the azerite trait menu. You could just add "buffing a random stat" to the end and it'd be better. Better yet, how about holding alt when mousing over causes an expanded tooltip with all the data to appear?

Why do I bring this up? Because for the average person to figure out what it does without using outside resources, you'd have to select it, play around with it until it procs (and multiple times too because at first I thought it was only the one banner), and then decided if it's good for you. And if it isn't, you're paying a reforge bill to change it to another trait.

And that "spirit of the alliance" could have been anything! It could have been "+500 ap vs. horde" which would be useless to me. I shouldn't have to risk a reforge cost to find out.

And... I guess I'm ranting here. I read this original thread last night and now today I get this piece of gear with this trait and it just really upset me with how vague and unclear it was.
This game is not fun any longer. I don't think Bliz even understands their product anymore, and it's become their religion.

Ugh.
09/27/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Stormspellz
The point about traits being "useless and uninteresting" is interesting considering that you also make the point of "every gear change requires simming." These two points are kind of at odds with each other.

This part really got me from Lore's post in the capped thread, I don't see how random proc that does damage vs random proc that does damage, are no way in odds when saying useless and uninteresting and requiring simming. All the player knows is the trait will proc and do some damage, doesn't change our playstyle, or make something "bigger" just proc and damage, and to figure out which one is actually better you need to sim. How they don't see this is gravely concerning.

also #BetaForAzeroth.
09/27/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Maldazzar
Legion was such a great expansion, I was on cloud 9 even with it's flaws. How did we go from that to this?

It's my understanding that WoW has 2 internal teams that rotate: one works active expac, the other's on the next expac in development.

This is the team that gave you WoD, so....
I thought, based on the beta M+ weekly chest dropping 1-3 pieces, that I could finally ease off on raiding and still enjoy the game and kind of keep up with friends doing M+ runs.

Turns out, the best design decision they made this expansion was a "bug", and Azerite gear doesn't drop from end-of-run chests. Wonderful.

So now, if I want Azerite gear, I have to lottery the correct pieces in my weekly chest, hope I don't get bad traits or overlaps, because I have no other way to get them, and I can't even target them by running the dungeon that might have them. But, oh! I should "make multiple sets" if I ever wanna respec, because reforging your gear is intended to be unsustainable. Really? That's what I'm supposed to do? Basically, if you wanna play the game "as intended", you've gotta spend two or three nights a week raiding. I hear you now Blizz, loud and clear. Thanks for clarifying the chest "bug" after I had made my decision to stop raiding.
Lore's post is a depressing read. If we're really stuck with such a draining, self-defeating system for all of BFA, then I guess it's time for a break.
09/27/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Kruxus
Thanks for clarifying the chest "bug" after I had made my decision to stop raiding.

My guild is recruiting :)
He didn't even mention the problem with azerite gear and hybrids. They clearly don't want us to be reforging constantly, so I'm not.

But they also don't want us to have to think too much about the traits, but that's impossible for us hybrids. Trying to figure out which of my 3 shiny new pieces of meme gear should go with which spec and juggling all the possible combinations I'd gain or lose by using this chest with either healing or dps spec, and having to open up 3 Icy Veins pages each time I get a new piece of this stupid gear that Blizzard said I'm not even supposed to care about is seriously making me consider unsubbing until the whole damn thing is revamped. Its not intuitive at all and it's genuinely the first thing in my 10+ years of playing this game that I genuinely hate.
I posted some of my ideas on how to improve the system here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769376944?page=1#post-2

Reposting below

----------------------------------------------------

There is a lot of opportunity with the system. Below are some ideas primarily through the lens of someone who prefers mythic+ over other progression paths. I personally think of high m+ keys as "5 man raids", but I digress.

It is my assumption that the strength of azerite traits will continue to vary through tuning. That topic will not be discussed here.

• Azerite Availability
  • As I said, my preferred content is mythic+. The major hurdle in gearing for higher level keys is the scarcity of azerite pieces.

Based on Lore's indication that the intention is for us to have multiple sets based on what we're doing, the current lack of azerite drops for m+ is a failure by your own standard as the ideal pieces change based on the weekly affixes.

The primary challenge here is just how difficult it is to get to the point where we can have different pieces. This requires us to raid and PVP in order to improve those 3 slots, whether we enjoy that content or not. Personally I had to buy 2 more helms from champions of azeroth exalted to cycle through various permutations of traits just to somewhat manage costs.

Respeccing 3 pieces = 9 days to reset cost against affixes changing every 7 days means there is some cognitive dissonance in Lore's response vs. how it actually works. This is aggravated for classes who can fill multiple roles thereby assigning a cost penalty for those players.

• Proposed Solution
  • Allow azerite pieces to drop from m+ along these lines only when the key is completed in time. In other words, the bonus piece of loot that you would get for completing a mythic+ in time would be an azerite piece.

• +2 to +6 = 340ilvl
  • +7 to +9 = 355ilvl
  • +10 and up = 370ilvl
  • Leave the weekly cache azerite ilvl the same.

• Bonus Traits
  • The reorigination array within Uldir is great in that it makes raid gear function much better within the raid. That makes it the most lucrative azerite gear for the content that is being completed.

There is an opportunity here to do the same for other content in a way that could truly be exciting and invigorating. Restricting this type of bonus to raids is a missed opportunity.

• Proposed Solution
  • Add similar bonuses based on the content that is being completed. The below examples are specific to mythic+.

• Restore x% of health every y seconds while out of combat (stacking to x% * 3)
  • Increase the duration of crowd control effects by x seconds (stacking to x * 3)
  • Reduce threat radius by 5yds while out of combat (stacking to 15 yds).
  • Increase movement speed by 10% for 10 seconds after killing a mob. (stacking
    to 30%)
  • Lore just posted this in the Azerite itemization thread but the thread is still capped.

Holy hell this thread went places. Okay, couple quick things:

1) I've mentioned elsewhere that we're looking at Azerite armor availability. 3 weeks into a raid tier/mythic+ season is a bit early to make hard conclusions of how difficult it will be to acquire alternate sets over the next few months. But we're hearing that feedback and keeping a close eye on it. Availability in mythic+ particularly is a regular topic of conversation. I've talked about that before so I won't rehash everything here, but we're looking into it.

2) I noticed a few posts that seemed to believe that Azerite traits are randomized when a piece drops. They're not; each piece of gear has a preset assortment of traits to choose from. Most of y'all seem to understand that already, I just wanted to toss it out there for anyone who may not.

Impressive, that was almost like whispering someone after you’ve put them on ignore.
    Holy hell this thread went places. Okay, couple quick things:

1) I've mentioned elsewhere that we're looking at Azerite armor availability. 3 weeks into a raid tier/mythic+ season is a bit early to make hard conclusions of how difficult it will be to acquire alternate sets over the next few months. But we're hearing that feedback and keeping a close eye on it. Availability in mythic+ particularly is a regular topic of conversation. I've talked about that before so I won't rehash everything here, but we're looking into it.

2) I noticed a few posts that seemed to believe that Azerite traits are randomized when a piece drops. They're not; each piece of gear has a preset assortment of traits to choose from. Most of y'all seem to understand that already, I just wanted to toss it out there for anyone who may not.

I don't think the randomization of traits is the source of frustration, I believe everyone is aware that they drop specific traits, what is the frustrating is the rate of acquisition of beneficial traits from the weekly chest from mythic+.

Regarding your first point, the concern is there due to the poor taste left by the RNG drop rate of Legendaries which wasn't addressed til near the end of Legion, where only a few were actually worth attaining, and a heavy stat buff was given to Pyrdaz for example to make it desirable.

Also maybe expand post limit on previous thread?

*Formatting Edit
    Sorry, didn't realize the other thread was capped; I extended that one, so gonna lock this one down.