Night Elf Night Warrior Skins

General Discussion
...is there an explanation for these?

I get how Tyrande becomes the Night Warrior. That much I get.

However, the ritual is called extremely dangerous and life threatening, and never completed once in the entirety of Night Elves ever stepping foot on Kalimdor, and failing means death. Tyrande is the first one to complete it, and that was most likely because she was a Priestess of Elune and was willing to give up everything, including her faith in Elune, in order to obtain the power to get justice.

So I severely doubt random night elf adventurer #21912 managed to complete it after Tyrande.

So what's the lore explanation for player characters getting the Night Warrior skins? Don't get me wrong, I think they look neat. But is there an actual explanation? Golden Eyes with Blood Elves made sense. Upright Postures with Orcs made sense. But these Night Warrior skins for Night Elves I have yet to see any thing in the datamining giving any amount of explanation.

Or is this just a "We made a new cool looking thing for an important NPC, and gave Horde a bunch of neat customization options, so we might as well give the Alliance something even if it doesn't make sense" type deal?
09/29/2018 07:13 PMPosted by Maizou
Or is this just a "We made a new cool looking thing for an important NPC, and gave Horde a bunch of neat customization options, so we might as well give the Alliance something even if it doesn't make sense" type deal?

Probably this but there might be some other lore explanation like "Tyrande inspired other NEs to do the ritual to become Elune's Vengeance" or something.

So I severely doubt random night elf adventurer #21912 managed to complete it after Tyrande.

[/quote]

I know its been a few months since Legion so people may have lost perspective but...our player characters aren't exactly weak.

My nightelf is the Deathlord of the Ebon Blade, has wielded Frostmourne (although in a different form), and has defeated countless foes of immense power including the Legion, Deathwing and the Lich King.

Hows that for a "random night elf adventurer"?
Maybe it's not so much the ceremony itself that kills you, so much as how much you actually need Elune's power in her eyes. She's probably letting them off without a scratch because she's finally ready to share..or something
09/29/2018 07:23 PMPosted by Tidestorm

I know its been a few months since Legion so people may have lost perspective but...our player characters aren't exactly weak.

My nightelf is the Deathlord of the Ebon Blade, has wielded Frostmourne (although in a different form), and has defeated countless foes of immense power including the Legion, Deathwing and the Lich King.

Hows that for a "random night elf adventurer"?

Canon wise, our characters were never the leaders of the order halls.

So no, we never did any of that.

Blizzard made it very clear that never happened. Lol.

And most of the kills like Deathwing, etc. were done by Alliance lore figures with "alliance heroes" or "horde heroes," not us in particular.
High Priestess did also basically tell Elune "I want revenge and you're going to give me the power to get it! Or if you don't, we're done! And I'm keeping the Blu-Ray player!" and Elune basically gave Tyrande what she wanted.

So we clearly see who's calling the shots in that relationship.

And I like it.
09/29/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Maizou
Canon wise, our characters were never the leaders of the order halls.

So no, we never did any of that.

Blizzard made it very clear that never happened. Lol.

And most of the kills like Deathwing, etc. were done by Alliance lore figures with "alliance heroes" or "horde heroes," not us in particular.

... Yes we totally were. That argument only applies to who got the killshot on raid bosses.
Tyrande opened the door.

Elune said "Yes, I'm down with this."

If Elune is fully onboard, there's no reason why the ritual should remain dangerous. She's the reason the ritual is dangerous, after all.

People who tried the ritual in the past clearly didn't convince Elune they needed the power. And they were speaking to her darkest, most hostile side at the time, so...
After seeing the ritual is not lethal to Tyrande we there would probably be a sect of Night Elves so driven by vengeance they would gladly accept the blessing from their goddess. I mean Xeronia here would probably do it in a heartbeat as it does seem to be a blessing from her goddess.

We see Tyrande undergo it and probably elect we want to have that power as well if you select to use the Night Warrior customization.
After Tyrande did it 10 000 other night elves did it too, the players just happened to be the one of the ones who survived.
They are becoming night warriors for the same reason we became demon hunters.

When the horde burned the tree survivors lost everything and in many cases everyone they cared about. (Just like those who went to illidan lost everything to the burning legion.) They became hollow and lost in despair for a time but now are filled with an insatiable anger an will sacrifice the only thing they have left (their life) in order to gain the power for revenge.

That's how I see it. Could be something totally different honestly. Never underestimate the power of hatred it can fuel a lot of things. I am glad the nightelves are taking on a darker role in this story arc. They've been sheepish for far too long.
Maiev actually explains that anyone who witnesses a successful ritual can similarly be affected. Because you are with Tyrande when this happens, you have the option of undergoing similar physiological changes.
I mean, our characters have killed countless world ending bosses while Tyrande has been standing around, so.
09/29/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Rorrand
Maiev actually explains that anyone who witnesses a successful ritual can similarly be affected. Because you are with Tyrande when this happens, you have the option of undergoing similar physiological changes.

Think you have the right of it, mate.
It's probably because Elune is not as reluctant to empower night elves with her fury or something. Considering the major suffering the night elves just endured.
Tyrande lead the way, just like Alleria did for Void Elves.
It might be handwaved that any night elves who were present during the ritual were also affected. And since your character would've been there to unlock it, they can handwave and say 'you went through the ritual with her.'

It would be really handwave-y, but that's a method they could do.
I hope they have Sylvanas' burning running mascara. The Warbringers cinematic made it all the more badass.
Just basically another version of Dark Elves but with Lighter Blueberry Skin and Dark Eyes.

Where's Elf Color Variety in the Alliance when you need it that isn't Blue or Purple.
It would be funny if at the end of the questline theres is a 9/10 chance that your character dies and you have to corpse run to try to complete the quest again.