A Message from J. Allen Brack

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Blizzard community,

Today has been a swirl of emotions. First, I feel a deep sense of gratitude to Mike. His work on some of our industry’s most iconic games is the reason I came to Blizzard. Not only is he an inspiring leader, but he’s also been a wise and patient mentor to me during my time at Blizzard. And he’s been a good friend. Joining the World of Warcraft team and my favorite game company nearly 13 years ago was an unimaginable dream. Now, to be chosen to lead Blizzard into the future is both a huge honor, and a tremendous responsibility.

To do that, I’ll have the help of dedicated and talented Blizzard employees around the world who all share the same mission we have always pursued—to connect and engage the world through the most epic entertainment experiences, ever. Each of us is influenced by Blizzard’s values and a player-first mindset, which serve as the foundation of our company. With these beliefs at the core of everything we do, we’ve been able to deliver great games across different genres and platforms. And there is more to come—we’re working on more games now than at any point in Blizzard’s history.

As I transition from leading a development team to the entire company, I’ll also have the support of our team of experienced leaders at Blizzard. I’m pleased to announce two additions to our executive leadership team who will be instrumental as we move forward. Ray Gresko, a 10-year veteran of Blizzard who helped create both Overwatch and Diablo III, is now our chief development officer. Allen Adham, Blizzard’s original founder and lead designer of World of Warcraft, will join the executive team while continuing to oversee development of several new games. The knowledge and experience that Ray and Allen bring, in addition to the talent already on the leadership team, will be indispensable in helping move Blizzard into the future.

One thing that won’t change going forward—our deeply held commitments that are core to who we are as a company: to gameplay first, to quality in everything we do, and to listening to and partnering with our community. BlizzCon, the IRL representation of our connection with the community, is just a month away and it’s a time of the year that Blizzard employees look forward to the most. And as usual, we have a few surprises.

I want to close by thanking Mike for 27 years of amazing work: I am looking forward to your wisdom and guidance in your new role. And thank you for everything you’ve done to help create the company and the games we love.

J. Allen Brack
PogChamp
Some "woah!!!!" news! Glad to hear that Allen is going to be the new president.
Congratulations on the promotion to President of Blizzard, J. Allen Brack. Hoping to see some good things from you over the years to come. :-)

Xanlorash [The Insane]
Follow me on Twitter: @Xanlorash
Congratulations Mr.Brack.
Great. Congrats on the promotion.

What does this mean in game-terms?
Congratulations on the promotion! Excited to see what the future has in store!
Allen Adham being the lead dev on wow makes sense. He is a huge fan of mobile games which is why so many of the systems in WoW currently feel like mobile game systems.

This feels like the end of an era with Mike leaving.
Slightly concerned. But, that's a big achievement, grats.
A change in leadership often means changes in how things are done.

1) What, if anything, is changing to alleviate the players' discontent regarding BFA content?

2) How soon can we expect to see these potential changes?
Congratulations J!
Congrats Mr. President, see ya at blizzcon!
I'm trepidatious about this announcement to be honest and locking/deleting threads discussing this where no one was arguing isn't doing much to alleviate my fears.

Also in one of the threads that was locked there was someone talking about Brack being an Executive Producer without fully understanding what that title means. It may sound flashy but it's just business speak for "someone who invested money". Yes sometimes Executive Producers put in some input to a varying degree, but for the most part the position isn't one where they actively engage in the development of a project.
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that you now know that the things that we think we want are things we actually want. Nobody thinks they want something that they don't actually want unless they suffer from head issues.

WoW Classic was a good reverse and one that shows Blizzard is capable of hearing player feedback. Now you just need to fix BFA, which is a tremendous undertaking.
Congratulations, Mr. Brack!