Island Expeditions drops... seriously?

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
So it seems people figured out the way all those drops are supposed to work.

You have a random chance of getting one of the 3 available islands for that week.

Then you have a random chance of getting some specific mobs/events that you must kill so then you have a random chance at maybe getting the 'linked' drop to those special mobs/events.

And on top of all that, you must play against your teammates because some special mobs/events only spawn if it's a long run AND you have to go out of your way to actually find them and kill them for having a chance for the specific item to drop at all.

Seriously? Are you kidding me? For real?

https://www.wowhead.com/news=287456/how-drops-and-chances-for-island-expedition-items-work

How It Works - Simple Version
Many Island Expedition rewards are themed off the creatures and invasions that occur during Island Expeditions. For example, Squawks is a mount reward from Island Expeditions that is Pirate themed. If you encounter some Pirate themed rare creatures and manage to kill them, Pirate themed items such as Squawks may show up on the loot window at the end of an Island Expeditions for one of the participating players.

Another example is Plundered Blade of Northern Kings a popular Vrykul themed transmog sword. Encountering and killing Vrykul themed creatures on an Island Expedition may cause this sword to show up on a player's loot table.

This means if you are looking to collect certain rewards, you will really want to scout out as much of the Island as possible in search of these special enemies. Again, at the very end it still comes down to RNG on if anyone in the group manages to loot items related to the creatures you just killed. But keep at it and you will start to see these results.
The islands have so much waiting to be plundered. The issue is people feel like they have to be done as quickly as possible. Then people complain that they are boring content.

So the good news is you can continue to just rush through them if you want. That is an acceptable play style. But if you want some of the coolest drops, you'll have to do the mechanics. I would advise starting your own group for that though or you risk getting kicked.
I wish I could hang out on a big !@# Island all day and just plunder loot and hang out
and be cozy instead of being on a timer with homing deathbots chasing me down on an island with an alligator behind every other tree.
09/26/2018 03:20 AMPosted by Solarwynds
The islands have so much waiting to be plundered. The issue is people feel like they have to be done as quickly as possible. Then people complain that they are boring content.

So the good news is you can continue to just rush through them if you want. That is an acceptable play style. But if you want some of the coolest drops, you'll have to do the mechanics. I would advise starting your own group for that though or you risk getting kicked.

The issue is that is that you can do the mechanics and reach the criteria of finding these rares and possibly the loot.

But it's not optimal to try to do that to win the match. Why is it that getting rare drops, and winning the match, are on different sides of doing expeditions?

I shouldn't feel punished because I won a match, over someone who intentionally lost and got better chances at mounts/pet/xmogs.
Yep, literally RNG within RNG within RNG, and you have to drag the expedition out as long as possible by searching the entire island and killing the types of mob you need for the pets/toys/quest items/achievements before anything else, rather than just harvesting all the azerite and leaving.
Expeditions definitely have a superfluous amount of "crap" in them, as in mobs that I don't want to waste my time fighting because the reward vs. the time it takes to kill them just doesn't even out. Also, I feel like if I even take a second to explore something that isn't a high-azerite target, the bots are already bee-lining towards the best source on the island, regardless of whether or not they could've possibly seen it or how recently I just killed them.

Expeditions aren't hard to win, and I personally don't think that they're particularly "unfun" as a concept, but I do think that the way in which we're forced to play them makes them unfun.
I agree that the idea that I have to beat the "other team" adds pressure to win but there really isn't a compulsion to do so if you get your own group who share your objectives. Once you get your weekly done, you can still cue. Take your time then because it doesn't matter if you win or lose.

Honestly, I think it could be fixed by having an explorer mode. The problem with that is people will then complain that the only ones getting good loot are the "easy mode" people.

So what are other possible solutions?
RNGception
"RNG is fun," Blizzard.
If you could but the gear mounts or whatever with doubloon coins it would solve most problems. I did them for the weekly rep, hit exalted, and never went back due to low drop rates. I enjoyed them overall just need better rewards.
We heard you like RNG so we put some RNG in your RNG.
I mean...you actually do Island Expeditions? I haven't done enough for the weekly since, like, the first week.
So this thread has been here for over a half an hour and two people have offered a possible solution. Anyone else?
09/26/2018 03:50 AMPosted by Solarwynds
So this thread has been here for over a half an hour and two people have offered a possible solution. Anyone else?

Im just going to offer what others have said countless times, and what is probably going to be in 8.1 ( At least I hope) Dubloons will be used for rare rewards.

Blizz Please. Give us some hope. I will bump this tomorrow in some slight chance we get some communication. We need it. As paying customers. We deserve it.
Seems like the solution would just be to allow rare items to drop if you win, regardless of what mobs you kill. Seems like more unnecessary Blizzard time/lottery gating combined with the typical refusal to just tell us how it works, just for the sake of making it take longer for "player enjoyment" of course
09/26/2018 03:12 AMPosted by Luthessa
And on top of all that, you must play against your teammates because some special mobs/events only spawn if it's a long run AND you have to go out of your way to actually find them and kill them for having a chance for the specific item to drop at all.

so you all can't go and scout together?

or are you really complaining about the fact that you would actually have to communicate with them and that mind reading isn't a thing yet.
09/26/2018 03:55 AMPosted by Nyhlia
09/26/2018 03:50 AMPosted by Solarwynds

You're wearing some very white armor there. Goes well with the brown on your face.

I just get sick of the constant non-constructive complaining without any solutions. This thread wasn't as horrible as many but to be called a white knight because I point out that some people just want to complain? Also non-constructive. But you do you. If belittling and insulting is who you are have it.

EDIT: I appreciate the edit on your post.
09/26/2018 03:20 AMPosted by Solarwynds
The issue is people feel like they have to be done as quickly as possible.

They kind of have to because of the opposing team gathering azerite as well. How can expect a group to feel they can just neander around and leisurely explore when they're on a time limit? Of course players are gonna feel pressured to complete them as fast as possible, and it is this pressure that makes them so annoying to do.

09/26/2018 03:37 AMPosted by Solarwynds
Take your time then because it doesn't matter if you win or lose.

It does when you're wasting the time of others. It's simply selfish to cause others to lose out of a personal desire.

09/26/2018 03:37 AMPosted by Solarwynds
So what are other possible solutions?

Using doubloons to buy the items would be the simplest solution. Make pets cost 50, transmog items cost 100, and mounts cost 150 or 200. There's still an element of RNG as you can get as little one doubloon per bag, up to around 20(the highest I've seen drop.) The RNG is clearly there to keep people spamming them, but with the amount of items that do exist within them, by pricing them the right way, it can remain relevant for a long time while offering a consistent, obtainable goal, and avoiding disappointment.
09/26/2018 04:01 AMPosted by Nancypew
so you all can't go and scout together?

or are you really complaining about the fact that you would actually have to communicate with them and that mind reading isn't a thing yet.

Oh look, another white knight.

No, Mr. Obtuse. The complaint is that the method to actually get these things to drop is counter to the basic objective of doing the island expedition in the first place. Care to derp more?