Any tips for a new dk tank?

Death Knight
I've never tanked in any game before but it looks fun. I want to try it as a blood DK, i've looked at guides and youtube videos and I think i get the general idea but I'm still a bit anxious of being seen as an idiot by my group.

Any one got any tips for a new DK tank?
Give it a spin and have fun! Blood DK's are pretty resilient, and have a fun learning curve in my experience.

Keep an eye on aggro, and pull small groups until you are more comfortable. After that everything is downhill ^_^
Trial by fire

You honestly just have to dive right into it.

You'll be criticized, judged, etc...but unfortunately it's really the best teacher for most specs in this game.

You have some short defensive CD's so don't be so conservative with them.

Make a gore-fiend's grasp macro so they all pull onto you.
09/29/2018 10:11 PMPosted by Shiivalaheim

Make a gore-fiend's grasp macro so they all pull onto you.

This, not sure why it is not defaulted.
I did not know you can make a macro to do that is there anyway you can share that with me
09/30/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Bringhate
I did not know you can make a macro to do that is there anyway you can share that with me

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod, @player] gorefiend’s grasp
/cast [mod:shift, @target] gorefiend’s grasp

This is a macro I use, press button with no modifier to grip onto yourself and hold shift to grasp onto your target, hope this helps! :)
The Fatboss dungeon guides are really helpful. Mechanics don’t matter a lot until you’re in M+, but players will expect you to know how to pull everything once you’re in those.

The best Blood gear is in Freehold, so I’d learn that one ASAP.

I use a macro to cast Bloodboil > Deathstrike. I think everyone uses Hemostasis and this saves a keybind.
09/30/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Lusif
09/30/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Bringhate

#showtooltip

This is a macro I use, press button with no modifier to grip onto yourself and hold shift to grasp onto your target, hope this helps! :)

Can't wait to try this macro out. I have the one that let's me just drop death and decay at my feet instead of having to target it and I love it.
10/01/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Vorlith
09/30/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Lusif

#showtooltip

Can't wait to try this macro out. I have the one that let's me just drop death and decay at my feet instead of having to target it and I love it.

Would you mind sharing that? I’d love to use that.

Thank you
10/01/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Harkonnen
10/01/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Vorlith

Thank you

Not him but I assume it would read like:

/Cast [@player] death and decay
10/01/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Geneticprime
10/01/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Harkonnen

Thank you

Not him but I assume it would read like:

/Cast [@player] death and decay

Yep that's how that part goes. Here is the full macro that I used from icy veins.

#showtooltip Death and Decay
#show Death and Decay
/cast [mod:ctrl, @cursor] Death and Decay; [@player] Death and Decay

That will cast it at your feet if you just press the ability. If you hold Ctrl and press the ability it will place it where your cursor is. So even then you won't need the extra click.
Use blood boil tactically to get a x4 or x5 heal stack then hit Death Strike instead of mindlessly spamming it, or use Bonestorm at full RP, also dont be afraid to use cd's frequently on heavy trash pulls as we are one of the best tank classes atm that can make dungeon runs super fast.

Enjoy your immortality.
Lots of good info already posted above. I just started tanking at the end of Legion and here is what I would add.

If you tank pugs its only a matter of time before you get harassed by someone, put them on ignore and move on. Dont let the rare jerk spoil tanking for you. Well studied and/or experienced tanks will receive way more praise and Thank-You's than harassment it wont even be in the same ballpark, just keep at it and your friends list will explode.

Someone will eventually pull a bunch of extra mobs for you, when it happens dont be afraid to kite. You can establish threat then use Death and Decay+grip of the dead to kite.

Dancing Rune weapon can be used defensively for the parry increase and bonus heals or offensively for the damage/threat output.

Control undead is awesome in Atal Dazar, you can dismiss the undead manually at any time.

Bind target markers like skull, X, etc so you can establish kill order and CC on the fly.

Save your kick for the last possible second so all the pug panic kicks and double kicks are used up and you get a good solid kick in.

You can stop lots of trash mechanics with asphyxiate or death grip. Like the giant maggots in underrot you can stun them or death grip them mid cast to prevent the unkickable poison vomit on the party.

Hope this helps, dont be afraid of anything and always be kind and it will go a long way. Shrug off others mistakes and they wont care if you make some along the way. When someone apologizes for something always acknowledge it with something like no big deal or no problem etc.

Enjoy the instant queues and always getting accepted to every party!