mojave causing wow to crash

Mac Technical Support
I've been playing since release, and upgraded to Mojave last night.

Wow crashes every 5 minutes now. (The screen freezes and the "rainbow wheel of death" happens. I have to force-quit)

Graphics set to minimum, all addons are updated, and im using a 27 inch late 2013 imac dektop with 8 gigs of ram.

Anyone else have this problem?
Did you merely upgrade to Mojave or did you do an erase and install? I ask this because it could be the Mojave install didn't go quite right. I personally only ever do an erase and install because it is the only way to preclude any issues from the prior installation.

WoW crashing and rainbow wheel of death aren't necessarily the same. The former is an actual exit of the game with a crash reporter. The latter is locking up and in some cases premature exit by the user.

Mojave is known to lock up WoW when things like spaces are being used and when the screen goes blank due to inactivity. This could result in the rainbow wheel of death.

Mojave is also known to introduce long loading times on non-SSD/NVme drives. The default file system of Mojave is APFS and it is not really intended for non-SSD/NVme drives, especially when WoW is concerned. This could result in the rainbow wheel of death.

Start by disabling any extra features in Mojave. Next, let the application crash, if it is going to indeed crash. Force quitting won't result in a crash report indicating the culprit, it will state that you aborted the application prematurely. If it stays locked up, that means the game is locked up, not crashing. Thus whatever is making it lock up won't even allow it to exit. Also note what is happening prior to the lockup... just entering the game, entering an instance, possibly entering afk status due to a long flight, or you were idle and entered afk status, stuff like that.

If you were on the PTR, you would be seeing crashes for some of the craziest things right now, but they are PTR issues, not so much your side. So if you are referring to issues encountered on the PTR, please so state as that server is in an unstable state for pretty much everyone.

If you do get a crash, please post it.
great, detailed answer. I will try to do what you said.
well, nothing worked. and what is worse- specificaly when i die, or take a portal, the wheel of death happens- just a frozen game not loading.

edit: also i scan and repaired game. is there any fix to the ting you wrote:

"Mojave is also known to introduce long loading times on non-SSD/NVme drives. The default file system of Mojave is APFS and it is not really intended for non-SSD/NVme drives, especially when WoW is concerned. This could result in the rainbow wheel of death."
10/02/2018 09:21 AMPosted by Axiss
well, nothing worked. and what is worse- specificaly when i die, or take a portal, the wheel of death happens- just a frozen game not loading.

edit: also i scan and repaired game. is there any fix to the ting you wrote:

"Mojave is also known to introduce long loading times on non-SSD/NVme drives. The default file system of Mojave is APFS and it is not really intended for non-SSD/NVme drives, especially when WoW is concerned. This could result in the rainbow wheel of death."

There is no fix for the APFS thing. You can't (or better said, Apple doesn't want you to) install Mojave on a non-APFS formatted drive. That is basically Mojave's default file system. If your hard drive is not an SSD/NVMe device, then you don't want to format it in APFS. While APFS will work, it will not work as well as it does under MacOS Extended or HFS or exFAT.

So the only fix if your hardware is not SSD/NVme is to either revert back to High Sierra and reformat the drive as Mac OS extended, or install WoW (in it's entirety) onto a non-APFS formatted drive. Not many Mac users have a second drive that they can install onto, so reverting back to High Sierra is probably the only choice for them.

Remember it's the combination of APFS and CASC that is the real killer here. WoW usage of CASC isn't going to change any time soon. APFS is the new default file system for it's newest hardware from this day forward.

You can either get new hardware (Apple would like that), downgrade to High Sierra and reformat your drive back to MacOS Extended and never see another update to your OS again, get an external drive to install WoW on (this would be slower than an internal drive), or run WoW under bootcamp. Notice the only solution that allows Mojave and WoW on the same drive is new hardware.
"So the only fix if your hardware is not SSD/NVme is to either revert back to High Sierra and reformat the drive as Mac OS extended,..." --- Baited

Ok, since i don't understand 99 percent of your lingo with all the abbreviations, I need to guess that you are saying:that there is a fix if I wipe my hard-drive and format it to Mac OS extended and install MOjave on it?

And by SSD/nvme are you talking about flash drives? PLease dumb it down for me
Also, I just looked into downgrading back to High Sierra, and it looks like it involves completely wiping my drive as you said... and that just freaks me out. I dont think I can do that. I can't beleive there isn't a simple fix for this :(
Hello.

Curious if this has been solved? I upgraded to mojave a day or so ago and wow crashes whenever I use mission control or corners.
Yup, same problem here. Crashing anytime my computer goes into a screensaver or If i go to a second desktop.

Also having connectivity issues in the Battlenet app as well
I've also been playing since the BfA release. Installed Mojave, like an apparent idiot, and it's been a downward spiral since... Terrible load times, constantly having to force quit after the game locks, can't fly or port anywhere without having to FQ and restart. Tried to uninstall/reinstall WoW through the battle app. I did not uninstall WoW prior to updating to Mojave. I'm not savvy with computers, let alone Mac, to understand the jargon above or attempt to dig in a patch something myself. I'm really just hoping Blizzard is able to do something soon...
Same. I made a post about disconnecting and didn't mention this switch to Mojave. Thankfully I now know what the problem is so hopefully blizz can fix this. I'd like to do my anything without getting disconnected.
Ive posted the same a few days ago about crashes with spaces or something and Mohave: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769648364

I really wish we could get a rep to at least acknowledge us at all and if they are addressing this. Im very near wiping my drive and just going back to High Sierra.
11/03/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Bermy
Ive posted the same a few days ago about crashes with spaces or something and Mohave: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769648364

I really wish we could get a rep to at least acknowledge us at all and if they are addressing this. Im very near wiping my drive and just going back to High Sierra.

Read your post and i guess that's just another issue to add to the list. What we're complaining about here is that the game will just crash on its own without doing the stuff that you mentioned. My guess is that Blizz just couldn't optimize for Mojave so quickly so they're behind on that part. It's just a guess though.
Im totally in the same boat with Axiss and many others here.
Imac 27" Late 2013, 3.5GHz intel i7,16GB 1600MHz Fusion drive
Nvidia GeForce GTX780m
I started having wow crashes and forced reboots on 10/28, i was running on Sierra, (not High Sierra) and I wasn't having any issues with WoW or performance before that date. I'm by no means comp savy, i have to look up everything ppl say about comps to understand it mind you. So i figured Ok check current upgrades and memory stuff and figured I'd upgrade to Mojave, security, blah blah. And so ever since then Im able to login abit slow select toon and eventually in game with some render issues. It doesn't matter where the toon is located, Ogri/Stormwind, BFA/Icecrown; but within a min or two after> freeze and whirlyball of death, and forced restart. this has been constant every time since Mojave.
Shame on me for not reading mac forums like I should. i checked on the Nvidia drivers but i couldn't upload cause they show incompatible :(
Thankfully i have another backup I could utilize to go back to Sierra but again Im no expert comp person. So it'll be a slow learning process to wipe and reinstall for me.
My hope is something changes or figures out what's messing these systems up soon so we can all play again, I'm not looking forward to having to miss all the fun of BFA and Im not loaded with $ to buy a new rig.
If I could post Logs I would if I could figure where to look haha
Apple is making things hard for sure. Elder Scrolls Online killed their Sierra support a couple of weeks ago because Apple will not be supporting OpenGL going forward (another cross-platform API shot down), so Zenimax (quite prematurely) sent out an update that requires 'Metal' (Apple's proprietary graphics API), i.e., High Sierra or later. After 30 years as a Mac user, I am now seriously considering my options for a Windows system to run some games and other software.
My desktop Imac is Sierra; and it is staying that way until I get a good reason to update.
Sierra has pretty much full Metal support -- Metal 2 requires High Sierra. I doubt that they are using the VR extensions on Metal 2, however, so Sierra should work.
I just updated to Mojave and sure the hell wish I would have stopped here first. Super frustrating that Mojave makes WoW terrible. Tried all the suggestions and have lowered graphics to see if that helps. The game just locks and freezes in so many different instances that it is hard to say if it is just happening constantly or so often it seems that way. I am sick of dying or losing a target completely from glitches. Stuff will literally just disappear while playing and then I'm back in the lobby waiting indefinitely to get back in the game. Apple can kiss my apple. So much for making gaming "faster" HAHAHAHA...Good one! Going back to the old OS...
I’m on High Sierra using a non-retina “15 mid-2012 MBP with 2.3 quad i7, 512 mb gt650, 16 GB ram, and a 2tb hybrid drive with HFS+. I knew full well to not update to Mojave because of the loss of control for iTunes (and iOS apps), obsolescence of safari extensiona for Mac App Store ones (rip ublock origin), and the general problems that come with apfs communicating with a Time machine.

I’ve been wary for the past month or so when high Sierra didn’t get a security update post mojave, just like every year the prior two versions have always received. But fortunately that happened recently.

So to my main point. High Sierra has been working great for me since I have installed it. For everyone that is holding out on Sierra, just consider updating to high Sierra rather than Mojave. You gain an extra year’s worth of security support when Sierra will be retired next year, it will help keep pace with increasing OS demands from developers not to mention that you gain a bit of polish over what Sierra tried to bring. You can hold out on that for a bit until apple and blizzard come up with solutions to not ruin game performance. And someone mentioned and what I’m currently doing right now (taking a bit of time, buying a part every other month or so), but you can start transitioning towards using windows for your gaming needs.