Playing wow from External Drive

Technical Support
I have some time coming up where i wont be around my computer but have access to another computer. If i load wow onto Samsung T5 Portable SSD, can i play it from there?
If so how does that work. Do i just open the game from the ssd or do i have to make a short cut to the launch on the computer and open it?
You should be able to launch the launcher from the SSD providing you have a fast enough external port on the computer you have access to, to play the game.
As far as I know you need to put the launcher on the other computer and point it to the external drive in the Launcher settings. https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/25949

Other than that, it is really easy to play off the external drive and an SSD should be nice and fast.
WoW is totally portable, in that it doesn't need hooks into your OS or program files at all that would have to be run from an installer. Just move your entire WoW directory to your external drive and launch the wow.exe file from there.

I want to say, off the top of my head, the only things you might lose are some addon settings.
I do sometimes play off an external hard drive and curiously the only place I noticed some lag is loading the map art assets. Do what others said by copying the WoW folder from your primary drive to the external drive and it should work fine.
I have both the launcher and WoW on a portable SSD and everything works fine for me in regards to playing the game.

I installed the launcher to the SSD and just copied my WoW folder over to the SSD.
Sorry to say this, although...

Do any of you know/look @ what is inside your wow installation,please? b4 u give advice?

Yes
Mirasol

Has it right you must get the client installed too.

As far as I know you need to put the launcher on the other computer and point it to the external drive in the Launcher settings.
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/25949

Other than that, it is really easy to play off the external drive and a SSD should be nice and fast.

#1}
All your addons & screenshots too, the addons are under the main wow install folder inside of another one called WorldofWarcraft/interface/addons.
The Screenshots are under the same type but called Screenshots too

#2} Wow needs to install the client to whatever computer your running it on also thus wow is really not as portable as you think.

10/02/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Jalanilí
WoW is totally portable, in that it doesn't need hooks into your OS or program files at all that would have to be run from an installer. Just move your entire WoW directory to your external drive and launch the wow.exe file from there.

I want to say, off the top of my head, the only things you might lose are some addon settings.

The addon settings are also there too, BTW, under the WTF directory also right under the main wow installation as "Worldofwarcraft/wtf" .

So yes as long as you install the Blizzard client & point it to the portable hd's install of wow you could be good 2 go, enjoy.

I personally am a hardware/software Computer Technician for my trade, as well as very curious how all program's work too.

Which is how I found these things to be true myself.

Yes that much in-depth knowledge isn't common, but it is really helpful for reasons such as your question though.

I'm honestly not trying to seem mean but "Marisol " just told you it does need as you call "Hook's". Otherwise why does it need the client for your account information to run,hmm?

Please read before you offer your advice as truth please? then maybe you wouldn't have said something incorrectly,right after a admin said otherwise,sorry

Also please understand whatever Computer that you might install the Blizzard client to also knows your account login/password information & saved them too.

Even after you take your copy of wow with you, thus uninstall the client if your going to leave with your wow installation copied to a portable drive,please? to avoid account theft,OK?

Also as Blizzard always says Never/Ever use our software on any public computer too.

As they often & most likely are infected with malicious virus's/Malicious software that can & probably will easily steal your important login/password information,please? For their person sales gain & your potential permanent account loss.

Your friendly attempting to be helpful Technician,
JagerBombdier