Warmode is a failure.

General Discussion
10/01/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Metrohaha
I think it proves just how little the majority of people who play the game actually enjoy World PVP.

Ignoring the countless threads on faction imbalance or just being completely unaware of what CRZ has done to the game, sure. I mean hey why wouldn't PVPers stick around for WSG for the 10,000th time or want to play a constant 5 v 1 against random players from other realms.

You're so on point my dude. Clutch.

Or maybe the biggest PVP upgrade in a decade was an off button which prunes abilities that should be baseline.
Not fun being ganked and camped by higher levels or multiple players. The ten percent turns into a minus 5 or whatever.
The solution to faction balance is simple. Some shards should have balanced H/A ratios and the others should have only H and no A (in the case of more H). That would create a situation on A side that would be "fair" rather then actively encourage people to turn WM off on A as to not get stomped on by an entire group constantly.

I started off the expansion on A with WM on the entire time having come from a PvP server. After getting my rep to exalted I don't plan on ever turning it on again. Especially when I run a lot of Mythic+ dungeons you are just asking to waste your(and your party's) time playing with WM on for A.
I live in War Mode and I always see both Horde and Alliance everywhere. Are Battlegroups still a thing? Maybe yours is bunk.
I've pretty much forgotten that Warmode is a thing. It's a BFA feature and should be toggled on and off in BFA territory.

I don't do Stormwind unless I'm on my way elsewhere and need access to the portals, and I will never go BFA to Stormwind to BFA just for Warmode.

So TL:DR, BFA features should be BFA, not Stormwind, but BFA.
Never tried never will.
I'm loving war mode. I don't attack normally but if I get attacked I'll fight back. Had a few massive battles around some CoA world quest spots that reminded me of TBC Hillsbrad
The problem is that too many people go horde for easy mode wins in random battlegrounds.

So now the majority of people who are interested in pvp are horde side.

If you are interested in fighting people out in the world than you should probably stick to alliance.

There are never a shortage of horde for me to fight while I'm playing.
10/01/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Metrohaha
I think it proves just how little the majority of people who play the game actually enjoy World PVP.
Its funny, because a lot of people point to it as the fundamental "War" of world of warcraft, but it plays as an utter afterthought and inconvenience prior to warmode being added.

Now, at least there are incentives and reasons to world pvp.
It will take a while to recover, but I think the best thing they can do is just start sharding any realm no matter which into warmode.

The populations are likely still super imbalanced, so we need to find a way to get more Alliance involved, either way.
Maybe an extra buff for them?

10% isn't enough for me to deal with hassles.
Warmode is fine as it is... players just need to turn it on. If people dont want to use it then they cant be forced. It is unfortunate if 1 faction mostly does not use it though
I think where they missed a trick was making it optional. Warmode should be automatically enabled when you go to the opposite factions continent with the rewards increased to make it worth the trip.

Everyone on alliance had warmode enabled when they were levelling for the 10% xp boost, but why would they risk wasting time getting ganked at 120 when they just want to run the dailies and leave. Why not have a PvP world boss on each continent that activates once or twice a week and you get buffs/rewards/whatever for defeating or protecting respectively.

The trouble is, what could have been epic battles has just been turned into a rep grind rush - go no further than Warfronts, where is the Alterac Valley all-day marathon event you would zone in and out of to help capture objectives, kill bosses etc?? Instead it is a snooze-fest with zero effort required and very little "war" feel to it.
10/01/2018 12:34 PMPosted by Aulie
I mostly play Alliance but wanted to level horde to see the story. While leveling I did not see one Alliance in warmode even when I went to Kul'tiras to do some of the war campagin. Warmode sounded great in theory but it turned out to be a 10% boost to rep and quest rewards for horde honestly.

While leveling as Alliance you typically spend 30-45 minutes being killed by horde, depends on if they want to farm you or if you just log off for a while. I did not encounter any Alliance at all while leveling as horde.

This also extends to max level as well, I did a few mythic dungeons after I got to 120 and nearly every person I invited was in warmode and nothing was happening to them, they could walk to instance entrances and even help summon without being killed by 20+ of the opposing faction.

I love the idea of opt in world pvp and the bonuses are great but it has turned into just a 10% bonus to rep and quest rewards for horde unless you want to get farmed as Alliance.

To my understanding horde form Flight point farm raids and just sit at flight points to kill alliance players as they fly into an area.

This is not fun for the alliance player. Only an idiot would keep warmode on in this situation.

Enough iterations of this and you've forced half of the player base to say screw it to warmode. While the other half is either sad cause their 40 man raids aren't eating lone players flying in as often or wondering what happened.
I mean what were you expecting? A fair and balanced war mode?

The vast majority of PvPers don't want fair and balanced. If they did, every single populated PvP realm wouldn't have been completely one-sided.

So of course when you add in this "war mode" nonsense, the side with the most PvPers took control. It was always going to be horde.
Non-instanced PvP is broken by its very nature. It's unfair, and will become more unfair over time as the dominant side drives more and more of the opposition side out of the game, until the dominant side has "won" and the game is over. With no mechanism to reset the game and start over.

The ease of rerolling or transferring from the opposition to the dominant faction just makes the process faster. So just get to accepting that the Horde "won" world PvP for the rest of the expansion, and gets a free 10% bonus to experience and world quest rewards. Until the expansion ends or Blizzard finds some way to make an inherently unfair system worth playing for the side that has already lost the game.
PvP realms were broken. War mode is literally just PvP combining PvP realms using sharding. So of course combining a bunch of broken garbage together led with a borked end result.
Nah as Alliance I still love it and was a mainly WPVP player when I first started playing in Legion.

But my guild group can't be zug zugging in warmode around the clock, we usually only have one day a week for it :/
Warmode offers no REAL incentive other than the chance of getting ganked. I have been playing with warmode on for ages and rarely see alliance players IN ALLIANCE ZONES.

10% extra reward is a joke. If there were PVP world quests for towers or control points that offered REAL rewards. The supply drop chests are dumb because they drop then vanish so there is nothing to fight over a soon as you hit one it's gone and they seem to appear on the map so rarely.

World PVP with distant nigh unreachable titles, piddly rewards. Jeez wonder why it failed?....
Warmode was like one of the greatest ideas I've seen implementer. The first 2 weeks are jam packed with wars of people trying to quest and gear up while having to deal with the other faction. Now there are still some decent battles that go on with WM.
10/01/2018 05:54 PMPosted by Aexxis
Warmode offers no REAL incentive other than the chance of getting ganked. I have been playing with warmode on for ages and rarely see alliance players IN ALLIANCE ZONES.

10% extra reward is a joke. If there were PVP world quests for towers or control points that offered REAL rewards. The supply drop chests are dumb because they drop then vanish so there is nothing to fight over a soon as you hit one it's gone and they seem to appear on the map so rarely.

World PVP with distant nigh unreachable titles, piddly rewards. Jeez wonder why it failed?....

Basically there should have been Warmode dailies that offered a reason to do stuff with warmode on or specified PvP auto-warmode ON areas with significant rewards for entering. Right now, at 120 and in decent gear what are the incentives?
10/01/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Sechi
I will acknowledge that World PvP slows down whatever world content you were trying to do, but if you're flagging for Warmode, IT SHOULD BE BECAUSE YOU ACTIVELY -WANT- THAT WORLD PVP, NOT BECAUSE YOU GET A 10% BONUS.
Amen