Classic WoW and WoW Population

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
Classic was fun at the time, but is a grindy dumpster
fire compared to what we have now.
09/26/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Nrype
Am I the only one who fears Classic WoW (and potentially over xpac servers) is going to really fracture the number of people who play current WoW?

No, the people who will play Classic WoW are the 150,000 people that were playing Nostalrius instead of live.
09/26/2018 05:55 PMPosted by Grumbles
I think Classic is still 2 years away personally... it's only a demo that is being previewed. That's a long, long way from even beta.

Cookie?

Considering how quickly they pushed out BfA, I don't doubt for one moment they would do the same with Classic, and use the excuse when its filled with bugs that thats how Classic was.
Considering that 90% of what people are complaining about is more prevalent in classic than current I would be surprised if it had a long term impact.

The other 10% of complaint are just people wanting high elves and allied races...

I’m sorta joking of course, but still.
09/26/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Jank
Classic isn't a gimmick. ... You underestimate the amount of people who truly loved the game as it was back then.
Nope. Just a realist.

No, you're just misinformed. Take Runescape for instance, they came out with Old School Runescape and now it's their most active game currently. You'll see Classic around for A LONG time, just accept it.
I fear that classic isnt going to stick as well as most people anticipate. So much has changed in the real world that I feel will take away from what made classic so good for a lot of us. We've become this instant gratification society and vanilla will just be too slow for most. Clearly my opinion, but im interested to see. Not only that but I was 17 when i grinded classic. I'm 31 now. I def feel the age gap coming back to BFA. The immersion just isnt there as much.
People are going to tire out of those vanilla servers quick. People forget being loot locked, bodies sliding around in large circles as you try to loot them and sitting in trade trying to find a group

There are so many QoL changes past BC that they will definitely miss.

I'm not sure what servers u guys were on but after being a jacka$$ or just horrible, on Doomhammer people would get blacklisted, wouldn't be able to join any decent guilds or groups out of trade... there were addons for it then, they will return. This will force people out of those servers.

One final thing that will get them back is that all fights are known, we have so many more tools now to expedite MC/BWL and even AQ. The only difficulty will be getting 40 people together on the same night.
09/26/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Nrype
Am I the only one who fears Classic WoW (and potentially over xpac servers) is going to really fracture the number of people who play current WoW?

Classic WoW was a grindy and long grind. I don't see too many people staying active in both.

I really do not think so.

I play many versions of WoW. Its really all I do.

This game can and will be played symbiotically with retail, and it will honestly be perfect. No longer losing characters, no longer drama with the server, just an official place to call home for a Classic toon.
09/26/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Thaurìssan
No, you're just misinformed.
Nope, I just have a different opinion from you, which is what this thread was asking. Get back to me when we have facts and reality to talk about; until then, everything is an opinion.
You'll see Classic around for A LONG time, just accept it.
Accept what? I'm not interested in Classic, nor am I interested in seeing Classic fail or succeed. That has nothing to do with what the OP asked.
People will play what they want to play. If classic pulls everyone from live (I really don't think it will) then that is a metric that drive and inform blizzard about the direction of the game.

I played classic, I am playing BFA, I think BFA is a better more polished game. Thats not to say I won't play around with classic (mostly to see some old maps; dark shore and loch modan) but I doubt it will keep my attention or draw me from live.

All that being said I am really glad the are making a classic server for all the peeps who want to play it!
09/26/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Zuelya
I think BFA is a better more polished game.

After all these time walking weekend event problems i'd say its far from polished.
No. I bet you 80% of the people who've said "Vanilla was so much better" will quit the moment they realize you can't solo 3 murlocs.

People were already complaining about Enhance sham. Good luck with 60% total damage from auto-attack (looks at ret paladin).
WoW classic is going to flop. The few it will attractive were 25 something year olds that are now 40 year old bachelors.
Classic will do very well and if you don't think it will you are not very informed on the MMO genre. I suspect they play WoW and WoW only and have no context for how classic/progression servers on other MMO's have been received.

In context, many other MMO's have done classic/progression servers and in almost every game were a smashing success and have no actually become more popular than their live counterparts. Take Everquest as an example, their 3 most populated servers (Coirnav, Phinigel, and Agnarr) are all Progression servers. Those 3 servers have more people playing them than most WoW servers do. As someone else said Runescape saw the exact same thing happen.

History shows us that these servers do extremely well and I guarantee WoW will be no exception.

I am playing live right now and will be there for Classic day 1, as will pretty much all of my EQ guild and most of my RL friends.
09/26/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Jank
...Nope. Just a realist.

No, you're just misinformed. Take Runescape for instance, they came out with Old School Runescape and now it's their most active game currently. You'll see Classic around for A LONG time, just accept it.
I accept it alright can't wait to see the BFA complainers go to it.
It'll be there for those that want to play it. And the current iteration will be here too. Nothing wrong with multiple avenues of enjoyment.

Whether one version is better or not is subjective, it's a matter of opinion. Kinda why the arguments never go anywhere.

There will be 2 avenues of WoW that allow people to play the type of WoW they enjoy, and that's a good thing. :)
Obviously if it's a fun game, people will hear and play it who wouldn't have considered otherwise.

But to what extent can the management that produced BfA and thought it would be fine reproduce Classic to the satisfaction of the fans who have been waiting for it, let alone people who never experienced it?
09/26/2018 05:56 PMPosted by Iliketopinch
Nonesense. In order to get the demo in working playable condition it means ALOT of the back-end is completed.

I'd agree with this, but back-end isn't the only problem the game has.
09/26/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Hexadecimal
09/26/2018 05:56 PMPosted by Iliketopinch
Nonesense. In order to get the demo in working playable condition it means ALOT of the back-end is completed.

I'd agree with this, but back-end isn't the only problem the game has.

If you read the water cooler blog post, they said it was the biggest thing they had to do. including transferring over old data. Seems like they did it. We'll get more info on whats left at blizcon i imagine. Basically what they did was downscaled the live wow and modified it to be as close to classic as they could using old data.
While the realist side of me believes that many people who want vanilla WoW will end up being disappointed, the optimistic side of me hopes (for their sake) that it will turn out well for them and that they'll enjoy it. I won't be there, though, because I've already "been there, done that".

A lot of what made vanilla what it was was that it was new. It was fresh, people were still figuring things out, things just weren't as pinned down then like they are now. It won't be that way with "classic WoW". People already know what is up with things. You'll get DBM "classic". You'll get all sorts of "best in slot" lists (you had them back then, too, but it'll be much more prevalent). It'll all come to classic and it won't feel like classic, but rather like a "different modern WoW". That's my prediction, anyhow.