Blizzard's Next Metric?

General Discussion
Because I can't bring myself to log in for more than 10 minutes. Time played must not be looking very good on their end and they definitely can't use subscription numbers anymore. How will the development team justify its existence to shareholders at the next meeting?
09/29/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Gortzugon
How will the development team justify its existence to shareholders at the next meeting?

ATVI closed at a couple of new ATHs this week. We the stockholders are not concerned about your playtime. Just keep buying pirate ships, virtual tickets, race changes and character boosts.
Nothing to do with shareholders. Straight up bad devs.
I'm curious as to why every war chest I open in the new zones counts as completing a quest (same as the chests did in Broken Isles and Argus)...

It makes me wonder if they load up the game with things like that (like when I'd get a daily quest completed just for flying from Dalaran to Valdisdall) so that merely traveling through the area or barely interacting with objects counts in terms of metrics for the shareholders.
09/29/2018 07:18 AMPosted by Hushups
How will the development team justify its existence to shareholders at the next meeting?

ATVI closed at a couple of new ATHs this week. We the stockholders are not concerned about your playtime. Just keep buying pirate ships, virtual tickets, race changes and character boosts.

Exactly true Hushups

Better to buy game time and games all with wow gold and give away free gold to other players for the same >:D

Don't waste your gold on the sinks like boosts, 2+mil mounts, etc.

We the stockholders won't be so smug when they don't fix this tripe for a couple more patches lmao.
If you think time played is the metric they care about (rather than money made), they pulled the wool right over your eyes.
09/29/2018 07:30 AMPosted by Gortzugon

We the stockholders won't be so smug when they don't fix this tripe for a couple more patches lmao.

Does WoW need to make money?

I thought Overwatch, Hearthstone, and stuff were supporting WoW now.
09/29/2018 07:31 AMPosted by Jamalia
If you think time played is the metric they care about (rather than money made), they pulled the wool right over your eyes.

Except money made isn't always the best indicator of future performance; whereas, subs and time played are. Subs dropping = lower future performance. Cash comes in waves in a game like WoW with there being influxes during releases, patches, blizzcon, and before each new expansion. For real investors, not just people who own 100 stocks and think they own the company, the investors who own chunks of the company they need more than just one number to analyze future profitability.

Enron was making great $$$ before the whole thing collapsed. It's the decisions of management and how it affects players perception of the game that matters.
09/29/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Gortzugon
09/29/2018 07:31 AMPosted by Jamalia

Except money made isn't always the best indicator of future performance; whereas, subs and time played are. Subs dropping = lower future performance. Cash comes in waves in a game like WoW with there being influxes during releases, patches, blizzcon, and before each new expansion. For real investors, not just people who own 100 stocks and think they own the company, the investors who own chunks of the company they need more than just one number to analyze future profitability.

Enron was making great $$$ before the whole thing collapsed. It's the decisions of management and how it affects players perception of the game that matters.

Thing is Blizzard Activision isnt 1 game. It's their whole portfolio. They arent going to look at 1 game.
09/29/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Stinkmeener
09/29/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Gortzugon

Thing is Blizzard Activision isnt 1 game. It's their whole portfolio. They arent going to look at 1 game.

In the past, companies that have diverse portfolios have sold off under-performers. While I don't think WoW is an under-performer at this point, it seems like it's headed that way. If anything it's going to get worse when they slowly lower the budget to reflect WoW's declining success.
09/29/2018 07:29 AMPosted by Auctioneer

Better to buy game time and games all with wow gold and give away free gold to other players for the same >:D

Don't waste your gold on the sinks like boosts, 2+mil mounts, etc.

Tokens are worth more money than subscriptions, so by all means, use them up please.

09/29/2018 07:30 AMPosted by Gortzugon

Won't we? I expect to be even more smug as COD4 sells tons of copies over the holiday season and Blizzcon announces another Diablo title. WoW is a small part of the pie and still carries its own weight despite what the doomsayers scream.
09/29/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Gortzugon
In the past, companies that have diverse portfolios have sold off under-performers. While I don't think WoW is an under-performer at this point, it seems like it's headed that way. If anything it's going to get worse when they slowly lower the budget to reflect WoW's declining success.

It's like I see this same thing being said every single expansion. Do you guys ever get tired of being wrong?
people forget its activision blizzard, not blizzard activision.
Because I can't bring myself to log in for more than 10 minutes. Time played must not be looking very good on their end and they definitely can't use subscription numbers anymore. How will the development team justify its existence to shareholders at the next meeting?

PuG Requirements. If PuGs are asking for reasonable requirements for the content they're forming for, then the game's obviously not doing too well.
The green one.
09/29/2018 07:20 AMPosted by Thanatós
Nothing to do with shareholders. Straight up bad devs.

Everything has to do with fatties in suits who don't play the game
Tokens are worth more money than subscriptions, so by all means, use them up please.
The cash purchased ones are. They inflate the economy since the gold is fabricated entirely by the magical "Token Auction House" system. It's not a 1:1.

All you're doing is sinking the gold with the gold purchased tokens.

If you sink the gold into things which are essential cash gates otherwise (expansion purchases and monthly fees) you're properly gaming the system. If you dump it into longboi and boosts you're just sinking the gold (still good for the economy).

See:

09/12/2018 06:23 PMPosted by Snowfox
<span class="truncated">...</span>
So you're aware they generate the gold on the fly and there's not a 1:1 direct link between token sales on the cash side of things in relation to the gold token purchases, correct?

As a player I know that.

As a stockholder I could not care less about a detail like that.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769067055?page=2#post-23
09/29/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Auctioneer
The cash purchased ones are. They inflate the economy since the gold is fabricated entirely by the magical "Token Auction House" system. It's not a 1:1.

All tokens that exist came into existence via someone spending $20 to buy it. As an investor, I don't care where the gold comes from. I only care that people spend real money buying tokens.