Blizz is sunsetting WoW

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
09/25/2018 04:36 PMPosted by Spaventoso
Warcraft still has to report to Blizzard who has to report to Activision who has to report to the Activision Board of Directors who report to the investors so

https://www.activisionblizzard.com/board-of-directors

these are the people you should be writing your angry letters to.

They'd ask each other what pathfinder is and shrug. Then they'd crumple my letter and toss it in the trash. Devs make the changes, too bad they don't listen.

#PathfinderSucks
09/25/2018 06:59 PMPosted by Zaranthosdk
Warcraft still has to report to Blizzard who has to report to Activision who has to report to the Activision Board of Directors who report to the investors so

They'd ask each other what pathfinder is and shrug. Then they'd crumple my letter and toss it in the trash. Devs make the changes, too bad they don't listen.

#PathfinderSucks

lol sooo true.

I can see I’m not the only one who’s worked with these upper management types ;-)
09/25/2018 06:38 PMPosted by Akorreth
09/25/2018 06:36 PMPosted by Arturas
What I still don't get, or understand after all these years, is why do doomsayers want it to fail? Moreover, why do they care?

If they hate the game as much as they claim they do, if it dies, good for them. Greener pastures await.

Speculation is speculation is speculation. It. Gets. Nowhere. It solves nothing. It doesn't even enter into the realm of time-killing conversation because it makes no sense, it has no objective.

Play the game if you like it. Don't play it if you don't. It's really that simple. There's no need for this.

Believe it or not, we LIKE the game. Probably more than you do, to be fair.

Why do we complain? Because it's broken. We love the game and we want it to be good. We're hopeful that Blizzard will hear us and pull their heads out of their rear ends, because we love WoW and we want it to rise above and be a shining star of MMOs.

If you cared about WoW, you'd be upset about the direction it's taking too.

The direction it's taking is subjective, and out of my control.

I don't make this game. I play it. I play it because I enjoy it. If I ever stop enjoying it, I'll stop playing it.

And I certainly don't insult the things I care about.

Me not screaming the sky is falling like every single expansion ever does not mean I don't care about the game.

I just don't understand how bashing the game, making doomsday claims, acting like "this is the worst it's ever been," and chastising anyone that disagrees with you means "I care about this game more than you do."

I'm generalizing based on the threads I've seen over the past few weeks, and I understand that. I just want people to make threads about things that can actually be talked about, threads that actually matter and spark actual discussion.

Not "the game is on backburner because reasons"

09/25/2018 06:36 PMPosted by Arturas
What I still don't get, or understand after all these years, is why do doomsayers want it to fail? Moreover, why do they care?

If they hate the game as much as they claim they do, if it dies, good for them. Greener pastures await.

Speculation is speculation is speculation. It. Gets. Nowhere. It solves nothing. It doesn't even enter into the realm of time-killing conversation because it makes no sense, it has no objective.

Play the game if you like it. Don't play it if you don't. It's really that simple. There's no need for this.

Why do we complain? Because it's broken. We love the game and we want it to be good. We're hopeful that Blizzard will hear us and pull their heads out of their rear ends, because we love WoW and we want it to rise above and be a shining star of MMOs.

But what if I'm okay with the direction it's taking? I already know the answer to that.

I'm one of those that started WoW in my late teens and now I'm 30. I don't look for the same things out of WoW like I used to. It's completely fine with me. I haven't tried endgame, haven't stepped in a raid, haven't done mythics.

The point I trying to make about the original post is conspiracy theories don't accomplish anything. That's all I was "on about."
09/25/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Arturas

I don't make this game. I play it. I play it because I enjoy it. If I ever stop enjoying it, I'll stop playing it.

Me not screaming the sky is falling like every single expansion ever does not mean I don't care about the game.

I just don't understand how bashing the game, making doomsday claims, acting like "this is the worst it's ever been," and chastising anyone that disagrees with you means "I care about this game more than you do."

I'm generalizing based on the threads I've seen over the past few weeks, and I understand that. I just want people to make threads about things that can actually be talked about, threads that actually matter and spark actual discussion.

But what if I'm okay with the direction it's taking? I already know the answer to that.

I'm one of those that started WoW in my late teens and now I'm 30. I don't look for the same things out of WoW like I used to. It's completely fine with me. I haven't tried endgame, haven't stepped in a raid, haven't done mythics.

The point I trying to make about the original post is conspiracy theories don't accomplish anything. That's all I was "on about."

For someone who thought the thread was unnecessary, you sure are glued to it.
09/25/2018 04:23 PMPosted by Tarathia
Whip out your tin hats folks:

-Refusal to communicate a clear and concise improvement to Azerite gear.

-Ridiculous time gates and unfulfilling rep grinds.

-Refusal to balance classes.

-Mind numbingly boring WQs.

-Warfronts are just... embarrassing (for Blizz).

-RNG stupidity.

-Zero respect for their customers.

WoW is dying because, I suspect, behind closed doors, the executives have decided that they’re just going to ride it as long as they can get money out of it. When it dies, fine.

Conspiracy - OMG, there’s never been a real conspiracy! /s

Occam’s Razor? Well now, that answers some questions now doesn’t it?

What’s the sunset law for terrible ideas (and word useage) like yours?

I would disagree. The fact is that players other than yourself hold the opinion that the game isn't in a good place right now. God forbid we find it that way - we "Want it to fail?" That's simply inaccurate. I will admit that my post may have seemed condescending. But to put words in other peoples' mouths, stating that we are "insulting the game" is fallacious by nature. If we were in some bizarre cult that wanted the game to fail, we wouldn't be pointing out what's wrong with it and what we want fixed. We would remain silent and allow it to fester like a disease.

As far as the thread "mattering and sparking discussion, you can re-read the OP and look at the list of complaints - most of which don't even scratch the surface of a lot of the deeper issues going on right now.
09/25/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Snowfox
Iunno.. if the cow is still producing lots of milk you don't kill the cow.

except atm it feels like the cow is male and we're getting milked something else...
To be fair no game lasts forever. Wow has had probably the most amazing run you could ever hope for in a game but how much adrenaline does its fans want pumped into an old horse because as someone whos been playing since burning crusade i can say these expansions are becomming more and more lazy.

We are already seeing LoL level class dificulty in most the classes. I could probably teach a monkey how to play at this point. They wont kill it untill you all decide its time. We as customers are the ones dragging this out becuase our cash or rather how much of it blizz gets is ultimately what makes the decision.
09/25/2018 07:26 PMPosted by Memnöch

-RNG stupidity.

WoW is dying because, I suspect, behind closed doors, the executives have decided that they’re just going to ride it as long as they can get money out of it. When it dies, fine.

What’s the sunset law for terrible ideas (and word useage) like yours?

“Usage.”

Learn to spell.
09/25/2018 07:38 PMPosted by Cybillshade
To be fair no game lasts forever. Wow has had probably the most amazing run you could ever hope for in a game but how much adrenaline does its fans want pumped into an old horse because as someone whos been playing since burning crusade i can say these expansions are becomming more and more lazy.

We are already seeing LoL level class dificulty in most the classes. I could probably teach a monkey how to play at this point. They wont kill it untill you all decide its time. We as customers are the ones dragging this out becuase our cash or rather how much of it blizz gets is ultimately what makes the decision.

It did have a good run, that is true!

Sad to see it in the state it’s in.
09/25/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Goldfire
Something that is being missed is that the development cycle is bi-polar.

So look at the pattern:

Wrath - Considered good, introduced frost knights.
Cata - Considered bad, no classes.
MOP - Considered good, introduced monks.
Draenor - Considered bad, no classes.
Legion - Considered good, introduced demon hunters.
BFA - Considered bad, allied races.

The above is a gross oversimplification but it shows that more resources get assigned every other expansion. They do a tent pole expansion with a big shake up, and then they do a filler expansion that tends to be seen less favorably.

Think about it deeply:

1. Wrath - Culminating xpac. Sky was the limit.
2. Cata - They spent resources redoing the world, and made the entire expansion "about the world."
3. MOP - Content wise quite rich, with a new class.
4. Draenor - Content drought, no class. Introduced prototype for facebook gaming that from a development perspective didn't seem too hard.
5. Legion - Content rich. New class. Artifact weapons... lots of stuff.

I would hazard that any xpac with a new "class" tends to have more content with it.

That's not an accident.

This makes sense and tells me that it actually takes 4 years to produce a full expac instead of the 2 years we've gotten used to.

Ty for this post. Clarifies things for me.
09/25/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Mortignis

Cows don't live forever.
after that they make dog food
09/25/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Snowslight
09/25/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Goldfire
Something that is being missed is that the development cycle is bi-polar.

So look at the pattern:

Wrath - Considered good, introduced frost knights.
Cata - Considered bad, no classes.
MOP - Considered good, introduced monks.
Draenor - Considered bad, no classes.
Legion - Considered good, introduced demon hunters.
BFA - Considered bad, allied races.

The above is a gross oversimplification but it shows that more resources get assigned every other expansion. They do a tent pole expansion with a big shake up, and then they do a filler expansion that tends to be seen less favorably.

Think about it deeply:

1. Wrath - Culminating xpac. Sky was the limit.
2. Cata - They spent resources redoing the world, and made the entire expansion "about the world."
3. MOP - Content wise quite rich, with a new class.
4. Draenor - Content drought, no class. Introduced prototype for facebook gaming that from a development perspective didn't seem too hard.
5. Legion - Content rich. New class. Artifact weapons... lots of stuff.

I would hazard that any xpac with a new "class" tends to have more content with it.

That's not an accident.

This makes sense and tells me that it actually takes 4 years to produce a full expac instead of the 2 years we've gotten used to.

Ty for this post. Clarifies things for me.

Agreed. I actually love that post.

/crossing fingers

-RNG stupidity.

Sounds more like you need your tinfoil hat as you are posting nutty posts like this all the time.
09/25/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Mortignis

Cows don't live forever.

WoW is not a cow and the defects in this game as it presently exists have been inflicted by design. Why? Dunno. But if WoW was a living thing and it could now be pronounced near death, it was murdered. It did not die of natural causes.

Every change that has been made to this game since the end of MoP has removed, destroyed or otherwise vanished some otherwise popular aspect of the game (i.e., flight at max level available from launch; BG Bonus Honor weekends; loot options; crafting; camera angle; the ability to dungeon and/or power level with friends; lower XP caps; higher XP rewards. . .)

I find it difficult to believe that this decline actually was intended. It feels more like some kids got hold of the business daddy built and are hell bent on wrecking everything daddy designed. To placate shareholders, they have changed the metrics by which they measure success (or so they claim)

"Look at how long players are online every day" -- the artificial product of artificially time gating everything. And your reward for your investment of time? Maybe nothing. Maybe trash. Maybe something nice. Feels more like a slot machine than an MMORPG.
I got excited when I saw the title. I thought some information was leaked about some beautiful sunsets being added to the game, but nope, just another doom post.

Weren't you MVP once? This explains why you aren't now...

You clearly haven't done your research.

The Warcraft team is a part of Blizzard, yes, they do technically have to report their progress to the CEO (which is Mike Morhaime) but everything else you wrote is wrong.

Blizzard does not report to Activision because they're sister companies under the one corporate umbrella.

Blizzard does not report to Activision Blizzard, because Activison Blizzard has no control over their company. This is how it has been since 2008 when the merger took place. The extent of Blizzard and Activision Blizzard's relationship is that they (Blizzard) will show demos of their development work to the executives twice a year, sometimes not even that.

And that's the end of it. No orders from on high demanding Blizzard bow down, no suggestions on how to milk the consumer, nothing.

Any decisions Blizzard makes are Blizzards. They own them. The buck stops with them.
WoW is dying

Ahh there it is, posting in "not so subtle bi weekly wow is dying thread"
I think they are in the process of separating the wheat from the chaff. In this case, the wheat is all of the new stuff (things we can think of as making the game WoW 2), and the chaff is the stuff being removed and used for classic WoW.

It explains certain things like the removal of the low-res models option and the changing of the base UI (among others). Instead of WoW 2, WoW 1 becomes WoW 2 and their new MMO offering ends up being all of that cut stuff from WoW 1.