Mojave 10.14.1 Beta (18B50c) bricks WoW!

Mac Technical Support
10/04/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Omegall
I'm surprised so many use beta OS versions.

I 'member when you had to be a paying subscriber to the ADC to download betas.
10/05/2018 02:02 AMPosted by Tiapriestess
Presumably the OpenCL referenced as being replaced is /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework

Not surprising it bugs out in Mojave since Apple's moving away from any support for it at all.

Thank you! Previous version fixed the issue.
Howdy Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know we are aware WoW is having issues on the Beta version and that this often happens with Beta OS's. As mentioned in previous posts rolling back to the previous version of the OS should fix the crashing.
Can confirm that this is happening on the final, released version of Mojave (10.14 build 18A391). So this is not isolated to a beta build.

As soon as Spaces/Mission Control/Expose is used, WoW will freeze, Activity Monitor will report that WoW is not responding, even though audio continues in the background.

Edit: This only seems to related to Mission Control. Command-tab seems to be unaffected.
In my case WoW hangs, and Activity Monitor reports its not responding, when I wake my iMac from sleep. Its easy enough to recover by just ending the application using Activity Monitor, but have never seen that before upgrading to Mojave. Also noting that the WindowServer process seems to consume a relatively large amount of memory (~0.5+ GB)
10/04/2018 09:20 PMPosted by Phreeman
I saw someone mention on another thread, the idea of swapping the Open CL version from an earlier release. Since I was going to have to reinstall the OS anyway I figured I'd give it a shot.

I moved Open CL from 10.14 final and popped it onto the laptop, and it works! Only tested it for a few minutes though. So far no issues elsewhere either.

Probably not the most responsible thing to do. I'll keep testing and post back tomorrow.

I'm gonna sound nooby and ask how you grabbed and replaced the Open CL version. :D
Yeah, if someone could upload a copy of the OpenCL file, that would be great!
Here is my easiest quick fix. Go to App Store and download "macOS Mojave" and run it to revert to Mojave 21.14 non beta. Takes around 35 min and WOW works fine. Remember to stop auto updates to avoid repeat issues.
Thx
10/06/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Desdemone
Here is my easiest quick fix. Go to App Store and download "macOS Mojave" and run it to revert to Mojave 21.14 non beta. Takes around 35 min and WOW works fine. Remember to stop auto updates to avoid repeat issues.
Thx
Ment 12.14
I saw someone mention on another thread, the idea of swapping the Open CL version from an earlier release. Since I was going to have to reinstall the OS anyway I figured I'd give it a shot.

I moved Open CL from 10.14 final and popped it onto the laptop, and it works! Only tested it for a few minutes though. So far no issues elsewhere either.

Probably not the most responsible thing to do. I'll keep testing and post back tomorrow.

How were you able to update OpenCL.framework with SIP enabled? I can't get past "Operation not permitted" even with sudo.
10/06/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Fearsome

How were you able to update OpenCL.framework with SIP enabled? I can't get past "Operation not permitted" even with sudo.

See my post above.
I would think that my fix of going to the app store and downloading the Mojave OS. It is listed as "macOS Mojave" and reinstall Mojave 12.14 is the quickest fix

You lose no data and WOW works fine. Took me about 35 minutes to run.
10/06/2018 12:43 PMPosted by Desdemone
I would think that my fix of going to the app store and downloading the Mojave OS. It is listed as "macOS Mojave" and reinstall Mojave 12.14 is the quickest fix

You lose no data and WOW works fine. Took me about 35 minutes to run.

This did not work for me. It gave an error when attempting to install and after rebooting, the game still crashes.
10/05/2018 02:02 AMPosted by Tiapriestess
Presumably the OpenCL referenced as being replaced is /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework

Not surprising it bugs out in Mojave since Apple's moving away from any support for it at all.

The Blizzard client and WoW app should only be using the metal framework. This should not even be an issue. Seems like there is something in the WoW app that referencing the now mostly defunct OpenCL.Framework.

I am guessing that Blizzard will have to fix this not Apple.
I had the same issue. Replaced the OpenCL framework to the older version and it worked. You will have to disable SIP first by booting into restore CMD+R during restart and enter "csrutil disable" in terminal.

Then copy and paste an older framework.
10.14.1 beta 3 is now available. Updating now and will report back if the issue persists or has been resolved.

EDIT: Confirmed - beta 3 allows WoW to launch normally again.
Mojave 10.14.1 Beta (18B57c) resolves the issue.
I tried moving OpenCL from an old backup and everything on this forum and nothing worked. I have already reverted back to High Sierra - the last bastion. It took under an hour using my time machine backup and I’m logged in game chillin. Looks like this is the end of the road folks! So long!
Mojave 10.14.1 Beta 3 resolved nothing in my setup. Glad to hear it somehow works for you.