The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

General Discussion
Prev 1 120 121 122 208 Next
10/19/2018 11:46 AMPosted by Mithrandys
[ul][/ul]...Blood elves were added to get more people to join Horde

I think it’s safe to say many people would be drawn to the most played race in the game if it were on the Alliance side

I do not think it's "safe to say" really. Are Blood Elves popular because they are just the most popular race overall, or is it tied to being the most attractive choice *on the horde*
yes

Do we really have so many self hating Blood Elves that would faction swap if HE became playable on the Alliance?
like you wouldn’t believe

If HE become playable... BE will REMAIN playable, so I don't get the "massive exodus" argument. Does it really suck to be Horde that much? No, I love the horde, wouldn't race change my characters. The people that care more about gameplay? Neither would change since yeah, the Horde has always been perceived to have more advantages both PvE and PvP wise.

So who would be actually mass race changing to be alliance beyond those DIE HARD HE fans that refused to already make a VE because it was "the next best thing?"
i feel like you’re being speculative for the sake of being speculative. And plus I’m not arguing that there will be a mass exodus, I’m saying people will one hundred percent be drawn to a traditional, pretty elf, on the “good” faction, in a traditional fantasy setting, with beautiful cities and races. What I mentioned was to provide an example on what the race alone accomplished
10/19/2018 11:59 AMPosted by Drede
None arguments and moving goalpost...

Boy, the people against High Elves sure don't paint themselves in a good light lately.

But please everyone. Try not to stoop to that level.
The people opposing it have always had bad argument.

Before BfA was totally revealed to be an unmitigated dud, there were people whose only point was "Papa Ion SAID SO!" and yes, they even called him "Papa Ion".

I do not think it's "safe to say" really. Are Blood Elves popular because they are just the most popular race overall, or is it tied to being the most attractive choice *on the horde*
yes

Do we really have so many self hating Blood Elves that would faction swap if HE became playable on the Alliance?
like you wouldn’t believe

If HE become playable... BE will REMAIN playable, so I don't get the "massive exodus" argument. Does it really suck to be Horde that much? No, I love the horde, wouldn't race change my characters. The people that care more about gameplay? Neither would change since yeah, the Horde has always been perceived to have more advantages both PvE and PvP wise.

So who would be actually mass race changing to be alliance beyond those DIE HARD HE fans that refused to already make a VE because it was "the next best thing?"
i feel like you’re being speculative for the sake of being speculative. And plus I’m not arguing that there will be a mass exodus, I’m saying people will one hundred percent be drawn to a traditional, pretty elf, on the “good” faction, in a traditional fantasy setting, with beautiful cities and races. What I mentioned was to provide an example on what the race alone accomplished

I mean that's the thing tho, no matter what side we speculate on, we still speculate on either side, you see?

But given that Blood Elf population is just ONE of the factors of overall faction membership, I really don't think it's fair to assume it would be a complete game changer.

Like that think you say about all these self hating Blood Elves? That is really annecdotical at the end of the day, and we can't really quantify it in a meaningful way. But what we know is that there are more reasons why people are on their factions, so to say that HE on the alliance would completely destroy that balance, it's really just speculation.

Because again, we might say that MOST people play BE because they like how they look, but we can't say how many would actually change factions, you are just assuming too many BE players are just waiting on the wings to change faction, which again, it's pure speculation.
10/19/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Mithrandys
It was gifted to the Alliance to compromise for High Elves. You were given an inch, stop trying to take a mile.

If it was a gift to appease us, it failed. If it wasn’t meant for us, then it means nothing. Either way, the requests won’t stop.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t mind for the High Elves to be an allied race, but you have to acknowledge the issues it would cause instead of denying all of it

There are issues, of course, but all of them caused by Blizzard itself.

There was never any need of void elves. They never existed before. And, to add salt to the wound, they were hastily cobbled together with terrible lore and no proper introduction.

We don’t care if high elves would be the same model or a copy-race. Void elves shouldn’t exist in the first place.

Blizzard made a huge mistake and now we want it fixed. What problems it causes is Blizzard’s own fault.

To be frank, I don’t think Blizzard will add high elves. But that does not mean we should stay quiet. We need to voice our frustration, because things were not done right.

I also think there are other ways to salvage the situation. But, anyway, it needs to be fixed before the requests stop.
Void elves exist tho ... and I’m sure there are people who enjoy them unlike myself who is trying to enjoy the compromise ....

At this point they should add a quest for Velfs to purge the void and let us train under Alleria to be more like her.

Add some fleshier skin types but with tints of purple and blu ... some silver, white, platinum, and lighter purple/blue hair .... not blood elf tones but less bleak ....

Once the quest is completed you get access to all options in the barbershop.

Problem solved.
10/19/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Talendrion
Behavior/demeanor is not a biological differentiation, player races have their unique animation set to help make them unique.

You have no basis for a different behavior or demeanor though. You've only got a political squabble between 2 groups of the same Elves. Unless you want all Alliance High Elf postures to be angry and hostile. Which sounds more like a Horde race than an Alliance one.=

10/19/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Talendrion
and the FACT that we know that Humans and Elves have been having offspring since Dalaran itself was founded.

No we don't. We only have Alleria and Veressa's children who are all products of very recent pairings since their fathers are and were middle aged men. And Alodi 2,600 years ago of unknown parentage. You would potentially have had Sylvanas plus Nathanos children if Arthas hadn't killed them both.

And it still doesn't address the fact that people who live for thousands of years are more likely to retain their native customs and pass these on to their offspring over adopting an entirely different races' customs. Particularly given that it is highly likely that they regularly returned to Quel'thalas which they had instant magical access to and no reasons not to visit.

moving goalpost

I only see pro people moving the goal posts.

We want playable High Elves.

Blizzard adds Blood Elves.

Those aren't High Elves.

We point out that only the name changed.

No, they are Horde, High Elves are Alliance.

We point out that its the same people and they literally just left the Alliance.

Nope, they are evil monsters who torture puppies and eat babies. High Elves are super nice pretty fairies who only get violent when killing evil Horde and still do so prettily.

Blizzard makes the Alliance their own special version of super High Elf.

Those aren't High Elves.

We point out that they are Blood Elves and thus High Elves.

Nope, they are purple and they aren't our High Elves who are super perfect.

We ask what they want.

We want OUR High Elves, who aren't Blood Elves who are the same, but different, but not too different. And everyone everywhere has to KNOW that these are OUR High Elves and not evil maniacal Blood Elf refugees with special signs and snooty mannerisms proclaiming how totally good, pure, and awesome we are.
10/19/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Caledonii

You guys are the ones with the bad arguments, particularly given most of you can't even agree on what version of a High Elf is acceptable just that Blood Elf and Void Elf aren't it.

Every single living High Elf in the game (that isn't part of some rogue faction hostile to literally everyone else) was an ally of humans for nearly all of their lives. Whether they are 40 years old or 4,000 years old.

The ones who aren't currently Alliance members have only been with the New Horde for a decade. And the Horde Elves were never militarily or politically opposed to "your" elves or Humans. They were tired of being used and abused by the Humans and decided to try out some new allies for a while.

You guys want to play the same Elf model that the Horde has despite Blizzard being openly opposed to repeating Pandaren with both factions sharing the model and thus giving you 1 unique variation already.
10/19/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Caledonii
None arguments and moving goalpost...

Boy, the people against High Elves sure don't paint themselves in a good light lately.

But please everyone. Try not to stoop to that level.

Before BfA was totally revealed to be an unmitigated dud, there were people whose only point was "Papa Ion SAID SO!" and yes, they even called him "Papa Ion".

And I forgot being obnoxiously obtuse because their arguments don't have any weight if they acknowledge the facts we present them.

Yeah, that's pleasant.

10/19/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Aedrid
Void elves exist tho ... and I’m sure there are people who enjoy them unlike myself who is trying to enjoy the compromise ....

At this point they should add a quest for Velfs to purge the void and let us train under Alleria to be more like her.

Add some fleshier skin types but with tints of purple and blu ... some silver, white, platinum, and lighter purple/blue hair .... not blood elf tones but less bleak ....

Problem solved.

Here's an idea, can one of the solutions to making Void Elves more likable not be related to making then not Void Elves anymore?

That would only tick off the people who like Void Elves to make High Elf fans kinda happy.
10/19/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Ruddypiper

You guys are the ones with the bad arguments, particularly given most of you can't even agree on what version of a High Elf is acceptable

Having a diverse set of opinions on the implementation of a High Elf race is no more a bad argument than having multiple plans for a scenario.

It also goes to show that the voice for High Elves is across a broad spectrum of players.

They were tired of being used and abused by the Humans and decided to try out some new allies for a while.

That's not what happened.

You guys want to play the same Elf model that the Horde has despite Blizzard being openly opposed to repeating Pandaren with both factions sharing the model and thus giving you 1 unique variation already.

"You guys".

Forced tribalistic perspectives for 300.

Models are arbitrary. I'm a Dark Iron dwarf that used to just be a charcoal-skinned red-eyed Bronzebeard dwarf, before Blizzard randomly decided to light give them a broader spectrum of skin colors, give them new hair colors, tattoos out of nowhere, a new voice, and set their hair on fire.

There are multiple ways to take a model and make it distinguishable enough beyond the characteristics stated above, including a unique idle stance ( used by Nightborne and Zandalari), additional custom elements related to their lore or background( like Void Elves, LFD, and Highmountain).. and ultimately a different set of classes to go along with it.

Also Blizzard wasn't openly opposed to anything. That was one ex-employee who stated his opinion. The fact that Void Elves and Nightborne exist is a testament to this.

And ultimately allied races aren't one and done so the number of "model variations" are irrelevant in the long-term, so Blizzard doesn't even have to do anything to change the model as we suggest.

Exhibit A of an "opposition" demonstrating a clear lack of effort in forming his "response". And you wonder why nobody takes you seriously?

Stop posting. Research the ENTIRE set of argumentation first, then come back.
10/19/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Talendrion
Behavior/demeanor is not a biological differentiation, player races have their unique animation set to help make them unique.

You have no basis for a different behavior or demeanor though. You've only got a political squabble between 2 groups of the same Elves. Unless you want all Alliance High Elf postures to be angry and hostile. Which sounds more like a Horde race than an Alliance one.=

*Facepalm* They have literally been living with humans, in a human city, within human culture, for millennia... That's where the difference in demeanor/behavior would come from.

The point being made is that the cultural significance could be significant enough between Silvermoon Elves vs Dalaran Elves because of cohabitation habits.

and the FACT that we know that Humans and Elves have been having offspring since Dalaran itself was founded.

No we don't. We only have Alleria and Veressa's children who are all products of very recent pairings since their fathers are and were middle aged men. And Alodi 2,600 years ago of unknown parentage. You would potentially have had Sylvanas plus Nathanos children if Arthas hadn't killed them both.

Alodi is literally a Half Elf, we literally know he is half elf and half human. There is nothing "unknown" about his parentage except who his parents were. That he is a half elf is never put into question. So we literally have evidence of HE/Human offspring 2.600 years ago...

And it still doesn't address the fact that people who live for thousands of years are more likely to retain their native customs and pass these on to their offspring over adopting an entirely different races' customs. Particularly given that it is highly likely that they regularly returned to Quel'thalas which they had instant magical access to and no reasons not to visit.

That's literally just baseless speculation you are making. The Point Being Made is that Dalaran is a multicultural city with no observable segregation so to assume there isn't inter-grupal syncretism, when the city itself is evidently a mixture of both cultures, is silly.

And AGAIN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, Do I really have to explain to you how attraction works? The whole point is that cohabitation literally has caused the appearance of half-offsping, in the lore. We can argue how commonplace it was, I specifically argue that revealing it as more commonplace would help to differentiate the Dalaran Elves somewhat.

I'm extrapolating my argument from facts, you are just saying "no" going against the evidence literally presented with nothing but your misunderstanding of why people do the hanky panky in the first place.
10/19/2018 01:25 PMPosted by Drede

10/19/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Aedrid

Problem solved.

Here's an idea, can one of the solutions to making Void Elves more likable not be related to making then not Void Elves anymore?

That would only tick off the people who like Void Elves to make High Elf fans kinda happy.

Yeah but it's pretty crappy to just want to throw VE fans under the bus because you are not happy. VE are here and there's nothing you can do about it. They might be a half assed concept but it is what it is.

If anything, we should all want VE to become better over time, and there are ways to make that involving High Elves as well.

For example, even if Non Playable High Elves unified with the Void Elves as some sort of "Thalassian Exiles" group, that would help make VE a lot more interesting in terms of their relevance to the world.
That's not what happened.

Ultimately, the Horde was to fall, and placed into internment camps. With his blood debt paid and Lothar dead, Anasterian became an aloof member of the Alliance. The high elves came to realize that the increasingly strained Alliance needed them far more than they needed it, and after a period of mutual coldness between the humans and their elven allies,[6] Anasterian resolved to officially secede his nation.

In the aftermath of the war, the high elves as a whole began to doubt the value of the Alliance. Humanity seemed to need the high elves, but had little to offer in return, especially now that a large portion of Alliance resources was allotted toward maintaining the internment camps. Anasterian had led efforts to drive the Amani trolls from Quel'Thalas while the main Alliance army went to besiege Blackrock Spire. He would later accuse the Alliance of abandoning his people, although not all high elves believed him. Even so, enough did to justify leaving the Alliance.

For most of the 2 races histories they were informal allies who became formal Allies when needed. But they came to see the Humans as needing them more than they needed the Humans.

10/19/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Mythlor
I'm a Dark Iron dwarf that used to just be a charcoal-skinned red-eyed Bronzebeard dwarf, before Blizzard randomly decided to light give them a broader spectrum of skin colors, give them new hair colors, tattoos out of nowhere, a new voice, and set their hair on fire.

And yet they were already and had always been a distinct group from the other Dwarf clans. A very evil group as well, who really would be more appropriate allies of the Horde considering Alliance races (dwarf and gnome particularly) were slaughtering them just 5 years ago in game.

That's not the case with Blood Elf versus High Elf all being the same people from the same country freely traveling back and forth among allied cities.

Having a diverse set of opinions on the implementation of a High Elf race

I'm sorry. You already have High Elves implemented in the game. They are Blood Elves on the Horde and Void Elves on the Alliance. There's a minority opinion that neither of these options represent the "true High Elf" and thus neither qualifies.

10/19/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Talendrion
Alodi is literally a Half Elf, we literally know he is half elf and half human.

Which Elf? Night Elf, Highborne, Nightborne, High Elf? Since his parents are unknown and he was abandoned as a baby he could easily be something other than a High Elf Human cross. (Although I admit that High Elf is most likely.)

The Point Being Made is that Dalaran is a multicultural city with no observable segregation

It needs no segregation. It's a city full of Mages. Every inhabitant regardless of their race could instantly return to their home kingdoms and cities at any time. Which would work against the evolution of a unique culture. There would also be a constant influx of new people from the outside reinforcing cultural traditions. Most of the major metropolitan cities on Earth are highly multicultural and yet they all have enclaves of our different cultures that preserve their own.

Do I really have to explain to you how attraction works?
Humanoid sex doesn't always produce offspring. Actually, producing offspring is fairly rare given the frequency of sexual relations for humanoids. Where are the Half Gnomes and Half Dwarfs who copulated with Humans, or with Elves, or with each other?

I specifically argue that revealing it as more commonplace would help to differentiate the Dalaran Elves somewhat.

And I'm specifically arguing that the nature of their own culture, lifespans, and proximity to their own homelands would reinforce their own cultures despite living abroad. Particularly since there aren't a ton of random "Half-Elf" NPCs running around for players to bump into versus High Elf and Blood Elf NPCs that that are for all intents and purposes identical.

Or if you want to look at it from a different perspective:

If High Elves developed a unique culture within Dalaran over the centuries, that same culture would be shared by all the races living there. Thus you would have several distinct groups: the pure races living mostly within their own kingdoms and the unique culture and people of Dalaran specifically composed of multiple races and hybrids. Blood Elves, being Quel'thalas Elves would thus be the only High Elves because the rest would be Dalaranian.
10/19/2018 06:55 AMPosted by Ruddypiper
I don't think anyone that is for the idea of high elves being implemented care one way or another if the Thalassian model receives a minor cosmetic (not genetic) update to reflect a difference between what makes them Quel vs Sin.

Dude.

That's a language not a race.

Color me surprised. I didn't think I would have to clarify this but I was referring to the in-game model that represents both Quel'dore and Sin'dorei and judging from your later text, you understood what I meant. There's many names for it.

Blizzard wanted Alliance High Elves to look different than Horde High Elves.

This is what you need to convince Blizzard to change.

You seem to continue to ignore me when I bring this up, only quoting something so passively unimportant as "thalassian is a language not a race".

I've already brought up my own solutions for this problem that doesn't involve history or racial mixing. If you and blizzard care about differences between the homogenization(which they, in my opinion, care less and less with each race they release) then a stance change alone would fix these issues right up. I already can't tell a velf apart from a belf if they're wearing anything. Ironically helfs would look different from them both if you give them a stance more befitting their background and culture.

You can't provide a good reason for Horde High Elves and Alliance High Elves to look different though.

Yes you can, this thread is full of ideas and ways that don't involve requiring thousands of years worth of changes

Are most cosmetic and require little more than a trip to the barber shop? Yes, but then again that's how the Allied Race works. Story and background of different factions called races by Blizzard to justify miniscule cosmetic changes like skin tone and tattoos.

10/19/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Tyierin

And as cool as some fan mockups of a new held body hybrid look, lorewise it would make no sense considering they’ve only been spilt for 20 years.

Same argument with the same solution. You don't need to do anything to justify changing their silhouette (which I am only arguing for the sake of trying to show others how ease these sorts of work arounds are. Ultimately I don't believe Blizzard would even do anything to make them appear different physically).

But we already have what amounts to biological differences with Blood Elf Demon Hunters (Fel infusion) and Blood Elf Death Knights (dead), not to mention another Windrunner sister, and they all have the exact same postures and idle animations but get different physical customization options due to their unique circumstances.

This seems to be your only argument as to why there wouldn't be a visual distinction between Quel and Sin. Because nobody else has a different unique model.

Ignoring the fact that nobody else has a unique model and still exists and that's okay with Blizzard let's go on ahead and assume it's because the players didn't have access to them. Well, now that players have access, you could easily change up a few things like I suggested above to make them appear even more different than an already available void elf without requiring any sort of genetic or biological change whatsoever.

Don't you mean Sylvanas? The High Elf killed by the Human Prince, who was raised as a self aware Banshee puppet to be further tormented by being used as a weapon against her own people and allies and whose body was kept around to be defiled as further torment?

No.. he means Vereesa. The woman who has had her husband killed by the current orcish Horde and Sin'dorei she once loved and still considers redeemable (though whom I personally hope does not considering the story would be far more interesting if she remained entirely and wholly hostile to the Horde).

Because Veressa's level of suffering pales in comparison given that the deviation is her Human husband (who would have died while she was still terribly young for her race anyway) willingly sacrificed himself to save others after Orc Hitler (that pretty much all the other Horde races including a decent chunk of Orcs were actively either trying to oust or sever alliances with) launched a bomb at a legitimate military threat. Which isn't me condoning that by the way.

You cannot put pain and suffering on an accurate scale. You never will be able to do that, so to say "Veressa's level of suffering pales in comparison" is actually perhaps more cruel than you intended it to be. It is not your place to dictate who suffers more in any situation, then proceed to try and muddy the waters by claiming that Garrosh was just 'Orc Hitler' and that the other Horde races were poor victim followers with no choice in their actions.

Especially in this current timeline of all things where the exact same thing happened under the woman you proclaimed is suffering more, where I would argue the Horde had a better shot at proving they were honorable and still regardless of the fact decided to burn down Teldrassil. Meaning at this point in time, when Veressa is inevitably reintroduced to the story, she will share an even greater impassioned hatred for the Horde than when they started. She and Jaina are two sides of the same coin. One lost her kingdom, the other lost half her spirit. Jaina is simply more prominent right now due to the faction revolving around Zandalar and Kul'tiras.
I have no objections to Playable HEs. I'm not really interested in playing one however (unless they have access to classes that VEs don't). If half of the VE population rerolled to HE, that wouldn't bother me. If some of the Horde BEs rerolled to HE, that wouldn't bother me either.

I did like Isaäc's idea about HE military haircuts and other model distinctions. Someone else mentioned different stances which also seems like a good idea.

Good luck with your campaign.
10/19/2018 03:03 PMPosted by Rhemedy
I have no objections to Playable HEs. I'm not really interested in playing one however (unless they have access to classes that VEs don't). If half of the VE population rerolled to HE, that wouldn't bother me. If some of the Horde BEs rerolled to HE, that wouldn't bother me either.

I did like Isaäc's idea about HE military haircuts and other model distinctions. Someone else mentioned different stances which also seems like a good idea.

Good luck with your campaign.

The only class I can see them being that void elves can't would be paladins. It would probably be a swap between paladin and warlock between velf and helf.
10/19/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Isaäc
In order to differentiate the High Elfs from the Bloods Elfs, I propose these measures.

For the Bloods Elfs.
1°. Give runes and light tattoos, as in LFD.
2°. Give runes and Fel tattoos, as in the TBC Box.

For the High Elfs.
1°. Give 2 models. One of Blood Elf and one of Half Elf, because currently Half Elf is considered High Elf.
2°. Explore the theme of Silver Hand, Silver Convenent, Windrunner and Kirin Tor.
3 °. Give scars and military haircuts, because the Silver Convenent is a military faction.
4 °. Give tattoos and hair cuts with the "Forest Elf" theme from Windrunner.
5 °. Give hair and beard cuts that humans use.
6 °. Give eyes of various shades of color, such as gray, blue, arcane blue, green, honey, light eyes, purples, greens and browns.
7 °. Some Blood Elfs haircuts can be kept, as with the Void Elfs.
8 °. For the model of the male Half Elfs, I suggest leaving the legs shorter, decreasing a 3 ° of posture, smaller eyebrows and smaller ears. For the female Half Elf, decrease the size of the eyebrow and ear. Raise your waist slightly.
9°. For legacy armor, explore the themes in Article 2.
10 °. Skin tones must be the same as those of High Elfs.

Love your ideas here!
10/19/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Capncavebass
Because in the past, (before allied races were available) Blizzard would have had to create an entire new zone dedicated to them, and potentially a city. These were the sorts of things that just weren't viable when creating a force as small as high elves. The Allied Race system removes these restrictions, so now, after 14 years of development, lore, expansions, they are finally justifiable.

So....during the development of BC they couldn't have prepared a zone for Helfs? Oh, and during the development of WotLK they couldn't have prepared a zone for Helfs? Oh surely, during the development of Cata they could have prepared a zone for Helfs, right? Gah, I almost forgot about Mists........and WoD......and Legion.....oh, and BfA......SURELY they could have prepared new zones for Helfs, because they're FINALLY JUSTIFIED!

Right?

By your logic.. there should be no justified races to become Allied races for that matter.
10/19/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Mithrandys
You just sprouted a bunch of made-up rules.
i said it would be problematic to have void elves and high elves as two separate allied races on the Alliance side. It’s not a rule it’s an argument. The main point was that:

They don’t have enough differences to be two separate allied races, lorewise they are literally the same race, and the model belonged to the Horde first. It would be okay for the model to be used for another different race.

I find it partuclarly amusing that you stmbled into the Zandalari’s night elvish model to break your own rule and had to make an exception.
and I find it particularly amusing that you don’t know how to read

Zandalari and Nightborne both use the same model: originally the night elf’s model. But Nightborne and Zandalari are different enough to be two separate allied races.

Void elf model is now Alliance’s. If we can have twin kinds of draenei or dwarves with diferent skin colors, we can have another elf skin just fine.
It was gifted to the Alliance to compromise for High Elves. You were given an inch, stop trying to take a mile.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t mind for the High Elves to be an allied race, but you have to acknowledge the issues it would cause instead of denying all of it

Just like Night Elves were gifted as a compromise to Horde, but wait.. Night Bourne have very little differences the Night Elves and even share the same color palettes to an extent. So how again is it a fair compromise?..
If half of the VE population rerolled to HE, that wouldn't bother me.

That would put both at about 1.4% of current total 120 characters.

If some of the Horde BEs rerolled to HE, that wouldn't bother me either.

That's easily the largest Horde race by a huge margin and largest played race by a decent amount also.

However, what does Alliance offer current Blood Elf players over Horde? A different but equally bad faction story? A worse Warmode experience? Less opportunities for high end raiding?

High Elf is a particularly vehemently Alliance hardcore Elf RPer thing.

A fairly significant number play Horde races for their racial abilities and a hefty portion of Horde players gravitate towards Blood Elf because they are more aesthetically pleasing, with better posture, and have access to most of the perennially good classes.