The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

General Discussion
Prev 1 152 153 154 208 Next
10/24/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Heliwyr
10/24/2018 05:23 PMPosted by Bourbonboxer
So they are the High Elf motif just with Void?

Blood Elves. We still have no proof that High Elves have converted to Void Elves.

Yea I know that. I was making a statement on how the Blood elf motif is the same as the high elf motif.
10/24/2018 05:09 PMPosted by Cognyack
10/24/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Xyaa
why are they fighting the Alliance?

Because Blizzard is dumb?

If Outland is slowly crumbling into smaller and smaller bits, why haven't we evacuated all the pretty pretty creatures to Azeroth? We have the technology!

If Dhadgar et all can continually open portals between Azeroth and AU Draenor during WoD for building garrisons and transferring troops why can't he do it now to go the other way? Did he retire after Legion?

If the Legion is a multiversal enemy, shouldn't their transport ships and techs be able to allow the same? They've got the same stuff on AU Draenor as Argus and that came to Azeroth.

Oh, so your issue isn't so much High Elves, it's Blizzard's decisions.

Due to Blizzard doing those things - in relation the Mag'har specifically - they can add High Elves. If they can't add High Elves, due to those reason you provided, even though we have Stormwind and Dalaran, then same applies to Mag'har Orcs - which shouldn't then be playable.

But because Mag'har are playable, it would give High Elves an even greater chance of happening. If they can't be, well, i don't know what to say other than "Horde Bias".
10/24/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Ashvinis
10/24/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Curemaster
others here have argued that she is not a Void Elf

But not proven and far too much of the debate is centered around this unproven assumption.

10/24/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Curemaster
he was made up on the fly with Void Elves.

Again, an unproven assumption. There was clear planning and development and choices made on the allied race.

Your first point, was actually argued by the people against High Elves and using that argument as to why Void Elves could not get High Elven skins like Alleria. So which is it, is she or is she not Void Elf? Can we get High Elf skin or can we get our real High Elves?

Can't say no to both because you will be contradicting yourself.

The second point, Umbric made his appearance for the first time with Void Elves. So that is proven to be the case. He is the only Void Elf with any current Lore that is named. So yes, the argument stands that he cannot hold a candle to Vareesa being perfectly fine if High Elves were to become playable.
10/24/2018 05:24 PMPosted by Bourbonboxer
10/24/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Gulrum
I also find the level of engagement by the anti's to be quite hilarious. All it says to me is they are just as obsessed over High Elves as any pro is, and due to that obsession will definitely also roll one.

You know what helps the pro-helf community more than ever? Trying not to bait or flame the antis.

It's not baiting and flaming them when most of them just say the same repeated things over and over and over again, then actually presenting lore and facts as to why they are wrong. That's called educating.

It's okay to have a difference of opinion on matters, but saying something can't happen just because you personally disagree and yet it is plausible because it has already happened with things already in game, that's just petty. We have taken the time to actually conform to what people against High Elves would want in order to appease them so we can both get something out of it. And even then, it is not enough, because the only answer they want is "you can't have it cause I don't want you too." That too.. is very petty.

So of course people see those arguments as trolling and without sustainable weight, because now it's not an opinion.. it's a desire to keep people from enjoying the game and having fun, their way. So disagree with the ideas.. sure. But be prepared to back it up, because we do research and will be ready to present information as to why what we are asking for is reasonable.
10/24/2018 04:50 PMPosted by Talendrion

So between nitpicking things that we have already precedent on and the uninformed that go "High Elves are Blood Elves" we are indeed bound always for repetition.

Should just post automatic responses.
I like how people keep applying rules that other Allied Races don't follow.
If only real problems the game is currently suffering from got this kind of attention. No let’s keep pushing for an allied race instead.

Either way it doesn’t bother me if they are here or not :3
10/24/2018 06:55 PMPosted by Mewzy
If only real problems the game is currently suffering from got this kind of attention. No let’s keep pushing for an allied race instead.

I mean I know there's a popular joke of them being a small indie company but it isn't actually the case.

Im really wanting high elves but I definitely concur. Id like to see gameplay changes before new ARs are introduced. Especially since we already have 3, almost 4, per side to play. Id like to see them added in a few content patches from now or near the end of the life of the xpac. That also gives them time to make the next ARs not just cosmetic changes.
Just my two coppers,

I think discussing population issues or examining every line lore looking for multiple interpretations has some benefits but not nearly as much as stating why we would find playing as a particular race enjoyable or fantasy fulfilling. At the end of the day lore can be rewritten or retconed to fit the needs of game, however the player fantasy to me holds more weight in this discussion more so than anything else.

For myself, the fantasy I would love to engage in is what it means to be an expat in land that is not the one I was raised in. How broad is the world beyond the walls of Silvermoon and what can I experience in it that worth more than just blood and kin? If my blood line is diluted by mingling with the so called lesser races do I disgrace my noble heritage or do I actually honor by building a new legacy like the Highborne of old who endured the great sundering? Do I see myself has something more, capable of growth and ways of thinking that are wonderfully different. Ambition, tenacity, with a sense of self assurance that regardless of what path I may follow, be it to Dalaran, Stormwind, or far places of the world, I can achieve great and wonderful things like my noble ancestors did following the great sundering that changed their lives in the days of yore.

This is but one prompt that has popped in my head along with the idea of what it would be like to play Half-Elf who adheres to both their ancestral lineages.

What character fantasies would High Elves offer you and what would you find enjoyable about those fantasies?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Blood Elves. We still have no proof that High Elves have converted to Void Elves.

Yea I know that. I was making a statement on how the Blood elf motif is the same as the high elf motif.

The funny part of this exchange is that, not only high elves do have different motifs from blood elves, but the Alliance war campaign made the void elves much more like "high elves, but with void".

THe blood elf concept was originally a twist in the common high elf fantasy trope. The high elves were meant to be careful and not power-hungry. They were rangers and mages that practiced restraint and tight control over what magics were considered "right" for use.

After the Scourge, the blood elves threw caution to the wind and started practicing dangerous magic. Anything was fine as long as it allowed the race to survive. This was one of the reasons some high elves opposed the new ideas. The very mana tap technique was seen as dangerous.

The quests in Winterspring show some of these differences. The blood elves saw the high elves' caution as naivety.

THe Alliance war campaign shows Umbric talking about restraint and careful control over magic, even void magic.

So, weirdly enough, void elves are being portrayed as somewhat more alike to high elves than void elves, despite the irony that they are doing so while studying darker magics.

---------------------------

By the way: void elves reanimating a void demosaur to use against Zandalar. Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEMt1FQnb6U

I had no idea that the 3D modelers and story writers where the ones working on the the in game systems and class design.
10/24/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Alamara

So, weirdly enough, void elves are being portrayed as somewhat more alike to high elves than void elves, despite the irony that they are doing so while studying darker magics.

Which annoys me endlessly, not only as a High Elf enthusiast, but also because Void Elves disappoint me. They made them a glorified taxi service that occasionally pops in for a meme.

I was hoping they'd be more brutal.

That being said, it makes pretending my Void Elf Priest to be an ex-High Elf Alliance Priest turned Blood Elf healer who stayed away from the Horde to ex-ex-High Elf on the Alliance with some void powers a little more believable.
10/24/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Curemaster
It's not baiting

"I also find the level of engagement by the anti's to be quite hilarious. All it says to me is they are just as obsessed over High Elves as any pro is, and due to that obsession will definitely also roll one."

....what?

when most of them just say the same repeated things over and over and over again, then actually presenting lore and facts as to why they are wrong. That's called educating.

"I also find the level of engagement by the anti's to be quite hilarious. All it says to me is they are just as obsessed over High Elves as any pro is, and due to that obsession will definitely also roll one."

This is why like people in the median have so much trouble respecting you guys and the antis. You'll support anything what someone says as long as they agree with your view on this; and thats the funny thing at the end of the day. And then defend no matter how much you have to sell your soul or identity to do it for. Its quite entertaining on both sides.

It's okay to have a difference of opinion on matters, but saying something can't happen just because you personally disagree and yet it is plausible because it has already happened with things already in game, that's just petty.

Its an opinion forum, they probably have paid money to play the game the same as you. Let 'em. You dont have to a "self-righteous crusade" to define what is virtuous and what isnt.

We have taken the time to actually conform to what people against High Elves would want in order to appease them so we can both get something out of it.

If you are saying all those artistic drawings that those couple of people did on MMO-C for high elf customization was just to appease haters, then that is some of the most dishonest rhetoric on your end.

And even then, it is not enough, because the only answer they want is "you can't have it cause I don't want you too." That too.. is very petty.

Yea because some people are baiting you people.
Some people are bringing forth actual arguments.

Its hard to differentiate when you see everything as "I NEED TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT" instead of "This guy is actually baiting me, but this other guy is trying to actually argue logically."

This is what happened in the old megathreads, to the point where the organizers basically saw everything as "trolling" and because of that the anti-helfers basically resorted as such...since they were already being labelled as such.

But be prepared to back it up, because we do research and will be ready to present information as to why what we are asking for is reasonable.

Dude the fact that a poster was obviously baiting a response caused you to go on a three paragraph defending tirade, kind of shows that....you are just willing to defend him because he wants high elves. No matter what his post was.
The funny part of this exchange is that, not only high elves do have different motifs from blood elves, but the Alliance war campaign made the void elves much more like "high elves, but with void".

THe blood elf concept was originally a twist in the common high elf fantasy trope. The high elves were meant to be careful and not power-hungry. They were rangers and mages that practiced restraint and tight control over what magics were considered "right" for use.

After the Scourge, the blood elves threw caution to the wind and started practicing dangerous magic. Anything was fine as long as it allowed the race to survive. This was one of the reasons some high elves opposed the new ideas. The very mana tap technique was seen as dangerous.
except with the blood elves no longer reliant on alternate sources of magic they've gone back to promoting restraint, this is evident when they warned umbric to stop his research
10/24/2018 08:32 PMPosted by Lavinnelly
they've gone back to promoting restraint

Really? On the Horde? Promoting restraint?

All that was missing from Lor'themar in the Siege of Lordaeron were pom-poms as Sylvanas used necromancy.

They're less abjectly ev0l after the events of the Sunwell. They're still pretty fast and loose with how they practice magic. Any Blood Elf-related questline shows this, most noticeably their plays with blood magic.
10/24/2018 08:28 PMPosted by Mythlor

Which annoys me endlessly, not only as a High Elf enthusiast, but also because Void Elves disappoint me. They made them a glorified taxi service that occasionally pops in for a meme.

It's kind of funny how the Void Elves' role seems always to be to just open void portals, when it's like....mage portalling has been a thing since forever, so what makes Void portals so special?

But the Void elves only became carefully when they got royally !@#$ed over....liek the blood elves. Because they were once blood elves.

The high elves never resorted to using dangerous magics. The ones who did became wretched in Cata.

I mean I'm gonna be honest: if you think the void elves are alike the Alliance queldorei....please read over the lore of the quel'dorei.

That is me being the nicest I can about this overall post.
10/24/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Nindraine

It's kind of funny how the Void Elves' role seems always to be to just open void portals, when it's like....mage portalling has been a thing since forever, so what makes Void portals so special?

Right? As a Mage main I got particularly annoyed. Jaina right there proved how redundant Alleria's void portaling was.

Come on where's all the mind torture and tentacle flaying?

Such a disappointment.
10/24/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Drede
I like how people keep applying rules that other Allied Races don't follow.

Just say Void Elves dude. And to a lesser extent, Lightforged.