The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

General Discussion
Prev 1 153 154 155 208 Next
10/24/2018 08:37 PMPosted by Mythlor
Right? As a Mage main I got particularly annoyed. Jaina right there proved how redundant Alleria's void portaling was.

Come on where's all the mind torture and tentacle flaying?

Such a disappointment.

Moral upper road, am I right? #ThanksAlliance.
10/24/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Bourbonboxer

Moral upper road, am I right? #ThanksAlliance.

Don't get me wrong. I play the Alliance precisely because they adhere to such ideals.

But it's also fun to occasionally let loose, and I was really hoping the Void Elves would (literally) bring out the darker parts of the Alliance.

But nope. Gotta be a polite teleport pad.
10/24/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Mythlor
But it's also fun to occasionally let loose, and I was really hoping the Void Elves would (literally) bring out the darker parts of the Alliance.

....ah I see what you did wrong here. You see, you accidentally got elves instead of a race with some creativity. Our supplier tells us that elves are good at two things:

1) Being punching bags if they live an trees
2) Mages

I guess when you said you wanted something edgy, our supplier in Silvermoon must of had an overstock of elves....well, we can take them off your hands give you some of our finest edgy purge squads.

You'll probably have to sign a couple of forms and fill out some paperwork
10/24/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Curemaster
It's not baiting

"I also find the level of engagement by the anti's to be quite hilarious. All it says to me is they are just as obsessed over High Elves as any pro is, and due to that obsession will definitely also roll one."

....what?

when most of them just say the same repeated things over and over and over again, then actually presenting lore and facts as to why they are wrong. That's called educating.

"I also find the level of engagement by the anti's to be quite hilarious. All it says to me is they are just as obsessed over High Elves as any pro is, and due to that obsession will definitely also roll one."

This is why like people in the median have so much trouble respecting you guys and the antis. You'll support anything what someone says as long as they agree with your view on this; and thats the funny thing at the end of the day. And then defend no matter how much you have to sell your soul or identity to do it for. Its quite entertaining on both sides.

It's okay to have a difference of opinion on matters, but saying something can't happen just because you personally disagree and yet it is plausible because it has already happened with things already in game, that's just petty.

Its an opinion forum, they probably have paid money to play the game the same as you. Let 'em. You dont have to a "self-righteous crusade" to define what is virtuous and what isnt.

We have taken the time to actually conform to what people against High Elves would want in order to appease them so we can both get something out of it.

If you are saying all those artistic drawings that those couple of people did on MMO-C for high elf customization was just to appease haters, then that is some of the most dishonest rhetoric on your end.

And even then, it is not enough, because the only answer they want is "you can't have it cause I don't want you too." That too.. is very petty.

Yea because some people are baiting you people.
Some people are bringing forth actual arguments.

Its hard to differentiate when you see everything as "I NEED TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT" instead of "This guy is actually baiting me, but this other guy is trying to actually argue logically."

This is what happened in the old megathreads, to the point where the organizers basically saw everything as "trolling" and because of that the anti-helfers basically resorted as such...since they were already being labelled as such.

But be prepared to back it up, because we do research and will be ready to present information as to why what we are asking for is reasonable.

Dude the fact that a poster was obviously baiting a response caused you to go on a three paragraph defending tirade, kind of shows that....you are just willing to defend him because he wants high elves. No matter what his post was.

I was responding to you about your quote, not what he has to say. Your point of view consisted of everyone, not just that poster, so while you may feel I was defending him, I was actually talking about the entirety of the posts.

That being said, he's not entirely wrong in his point of view of that. I mean, many people both for and against come here to post, and sometimes even double post to keep their thoughts going and or the thread going. This goes for both sides. Now I don't agree with everything that every pro says just because I want something, and I doubt everyone else here does too. So while I understand that may be how it looks, it's not entirely true.

While everyone has paid money to have an opinion of the matter, holding something back because you don't want others to have it is petty and childish. I am sorry you doesn't see it that way, but who am I to tell you how to feel?

And accusing me of being dishonest about us conforming is just ignorance. You can see that in every other metathread to date that that is exactly what we have been doing. And yes, to a degree it is baiting. But to be completely fair, we as a community gave benefit of the doubt to the ones legitimately concerned and tried to work it out for them as best we could... you know, like being a good community should.

Why wouldn't you call someone a troll when all they keep doing is saying "Blood Elves are High Elves, Horde's waiting for you!" Every time you try to have a conversation with them? Why is it that we are always made out to be the problem, when we spend time trying to give solutions, but get nothing constructive to work with.. that too me means they are indeed a troll.

There are bad posters on both sides, this I agree with. I don't support those I do not think hold weight with their responses whether for or against, so I'd be happy if you didn't plaster me with your negative view of my choices. I will defend what I believe in, and I do believe High Elves deserve a chance to become playable. I am willing to work with pro and against to find a common ground to make it possible. But more often then not, I see nothing of merit being said against why they can't be so.
There are no sides. This is why I avoid saying pro/anti.

We're all on the same team vs Blizzard. Some people are just poking at other team members for no reason.
10/24/2018 09:06 PMPosted by Mythlor
There are no sides. This is why I avoid saying pro/anti.

We're all on the same team vs Blizzard. Some people are just poking at other team members for no reason.

Like, true. IDK why people choose to see the game this way when it comes to factions *shrug*
10/24/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Cognyack

Holy Undead go against the very foundation of religion. Why continue to worship a holy being that creates zombies instead of living beings or a glorious afterlife. No one wants to be a zombie, holy or otherwise.

Because literally Blizzard writing, lmao. They come up with some amazing stuff sometimes, and a lot of the other times they end up with a light forged Nathrezim.
We havent seen them in ten years. The Lodge ones havent been relevant since leveling, so essentially Classis/Cata. They are removed.

They (Blizzard) haven’t had a reason to story-wise or game play wise to do this thus far, but with the introduction of Allied Races there is every reason to do so with the constant requests going into this.

Where is this noted? Only Alleria is the high elf wanting to reclaim Quel'thalas. Not Vareesa. Not any of the Silver Covenent. Not Auric.

This is headcanon.

I know it’s headcannon. I never said this was official, it was in an attempt to share potential reasons for why or how they could be introduced. I personally had no idea Alleria had wanted to reclaim Quel’thalas, and that alone makes me feel even more confident over how I think things will go down in the future.
10/24/2018 08:50 PMPosted by Bourbonboxer
10/24/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Mythlor

....ah I see what you did wrong here. You see, you accidentally got elves instead of a race with some creativity. Our supplier tells us that elves are good at two things:

1) Being punching bags if they live an trees
2) Mages

I guess when you said you wanted something edgy, our supplier in Silvermoon must of had an overstock of elves....well, we can take them off your hands give you some of our finest edgy purge squads.

You'll probably have to sign a couple of forms and fill out some paperwork

I’d just like to sign a form to have my NEs have some teeth again.... that’s one story that Blizzard has totally butchered! Why does Blizzard Feel the need to do a 90% population reduction every cycle.

Yes we do need at least a savage race and NEs should have been just that.
10/24/2018 08:32 PMPosted by Lavinnelly
10/24/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Alamara
The funny part of this exchange is that, not only high elves do have different motifs from blood elves, but the Alliance war campaign made the void elves much more like "high elves, but with void".

THe blood elf concept was originally a twist in the common high elf fantasy trope. The high elves were meant to be careful and not power-hungry. They were rangers and mages that practiced restraint and tight control over what magics were considered "right" for use.

After the Scourge, the blood elves threw caution to the wind and started practicing dangerous magic. Anything was fine as long as it allowed the race to survive. This was one of the reasons some high elves opposed the new ideas. The very mana tap technique was seen as dangerous.
except with the blood elves no longer reliant on alternate sources of magic they've gone back to promoting restraint, this is evident when they warned umbric to stop his research

Yeah, mana bombs require soooo much restraint. The reliquary is also all about getting their hands on powerful things. Rommath, the magister leader, is such a restrained guy.

It's not about being reliant on alternate sources of magic, it's about using any possible advantage against anyone who threatens them. They are still all about it.

Remember Kaelynara Sunchaser? Blood elves still feel the need to absorb and unleash dangerous magics from time to time.

-------------------------------------

On other news: The Alliance campaign continues (spoilers).

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288121/8-1-alliance-war-campaign-questline-now-available-on-the-ptr-story-spoilers

I like that they used Telaamon. At last, a lightforged draenei gets a role. He had caught my eye in Argus, and I hope he survives, but things look grim.

Also, a squad of void elves and dark iron dwarves:

https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/801048.jpg
10/25/2018 03:51 AMPosted by Alamara

Yeah, mana bombs require soooo much restraint. The reliquary is also all about getting their hands on powerful things. Rommath, the magister leader, is such a restrained guy.

It's not about being reliant on alternate sources of magic, it's about using any possible advantage against anyone who threatens them. They are still all about it.

Remember Kaelynara Sunchaser? Blood elves still feel the need to absorb and unleash dangerous magics from time to time.

I actually really love the idea about the Sin'dorei being the reckless portion of the High Elves that are willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. It helps them fit in perfectly with Sylvanas and how she works. They're ruthless and determined.
The reliquary is also all about getting their hands on powerful things.

That is a mage thing in particular. They all love collecting, studying, and using powerful magic artifacts.

Yeah, mana bombs require soooo much restraint.

Kael'thas Blood Elf mages in Outland who were enemies of both factions. 1 Horde Blood Elf mage working with Garrosh to push the Alliance out of Kalimdor.

Stop being racist! :)
Is it racist if we want to be High Elves killing Blood Elves?

I long for that day...
10/25/2018 05:50 AMPosted by Mythlor

Ask Hitler or the K K K. They both like killing slightly different other Humans for spurious reasons.
howdy folks.

i had a brainstorm .. it was a brief brainstorm. but what do you think of this idea:

so ya know how horde are worried about helves being too easy to confuse with belves? and how some velves, also would be worried for the same reason?

what if all helves have a primary appearance that isn't elven at all, and only look like their high elven self when in combat? the only time this isnt so is in pvp, battlegrounds and arenas (in other words, you'd look like your non-elven appearance in pvp encounters). but if its raiding, dungeoneering or questing, as soon as you start combat, you appear as your high elven self?
10/25/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Cognyack
10/25/2018 05:50 AMPosted by Mythlor

Ask Hitler or the K K K. They both like killing slightly different other Humans for spurious reasons.

oh ho ho. look who's talkin', shorty. :p
10/24/2018 08:32 PMPosted by Lavinnelly
...except with the blood elves no longer reliant on alternate sources of magic they've gone back to promoting restraint, this is evident when they warned umbric to stop his research

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288121/8-1-alliance-war-campaign-questline-now-available-on-the-ptr-story-spoilers

I like that they used Telaamon. At last, a lightforged draenei gets a role. He had caught my eye in Argus, and I hope he survives, but things look grim.

I feel they still haven't decided what aesthetic they want to give Void Elves. Their first NPC's were all clad in purple, and now we are seeing them wear red a la Blood Elf, and the only non-armor thing they still have to this day as a unique asset is their recruitment banner, which is blue and purple.

*shrug* They do look good in red, but it really doesn't serve to separate them from Blood Elves... but considering they were Blood Elves like 10 months ago it also makes sense?

Part of me still hoped they were held by Druuzan for like... years or decades even. Nether dilation and all. That way it would:

A) Make sense they see themselves as something different after years of being experimented on.

B) Explain why they are so loyal to Alleria, after her being the one that rescued them from that torment.
10/25/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Talendrion

I feel they still haven't decided what aesthetic they want to give Void Elves. Their first NPC's were all clad in purple, and now we are seeing them wear red a la Blood Elf, and the only non-armor thing they still have to this day as a unique asset is their recruitment banner, which is blue and purple.

*shrug* They do look good in red, but it really doesn't serve to separate them from Blood Elves... but considering they were Blood Elves like 10 months ago it also makes sense?

Part of me still hoped they were held by Druuzan for like... years or decades even. Nether dilation and all. That way it would:

A) Make sense they see themselves as something different after years of being experimented on.

B) Explain why they are so loyal to Alleria, after her being the one that rescued them from that torment.

well since velfs were belfs just the other day, we should be able to do the belf heritage armor quest hehehe i know we cant but a gnome can dream.
10/25/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Talendrion

I’m prety sure Blizzard is making things up as they go. They even changed the racial banner in the embassy from purple/gold in 7.3 to dark blue in 8.0. It doesn’t fit neither the racial tabard nor heritage armor colors anymore.