The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

General Discussion
Prev 1 180 181 182 208 Next
11/04/2018 05:37 AMPosted by Lorithyn
I feel as though they didn't straight up confirm junker gnomes out of fear of backlash, but it seems obvious they'll be our next allied race. Blizz is probably giving us time to work with them in hopes that it'll create a demand, similar to how there's demand for Vulpera. They may be doing something similar with those fish people they mentioned with the Naga. I know that the Horde will be working alongside the junker gnomes too, but it's far more likely that they'll be the counterpart to Vulpera joining the Horde

I can respect Blizz for giving us time to work with them, I'd rather avoid another situation in which our allied races come out of left field. That said, going to a gnome kingdom so suddenly feels out of place to me, as though the whole thing is an excuse to introduce a playable race that didn't exist before. Hopefully it'll have more sustenance to it that'll justify its reason for existing

I think the Mechagon storyline may make the junk gnomes better developed than other Alliance allied races. Also, we don't know the extent of their character customization. It's possible that the rejection to their looks may be countered by liking their storyline or feeling they are cool in other ways, but I don't think gnomes of any kind will ever have a lot of appeal.

On the other way, void elves are still the most undeveloped race ever. The fact that people still don't understand what they are about just proves they are little more than a limited package of customization options.

Back on the topic of High Elves though, that answer in response to Void Elves getting new skin tones options gives me some hopes and worries. I'm glad that they may be ok with the idea of two races that look pretty much the same on both factions, yet I'm worried that the High Elves we want would be restricted to Void Elves. In my opinion Void Elves should become their own, not some bastardized version of what could've been. If Blizz ends up caving in the topic then it just reinforces the fact that Void Elves just should've been High Elves to begin with

I'm still struggling to find a reason for the void elves to exist. IMO, Blizzard decided high elves weren't unique enough, so they made "high elves, but with a twist", and the idea never matured beyond that. Some people expect the void elves to be this dark edgy crazy group of dark magic users, but the story to far makes them little different from high elves, except that they use a dangerous form of magic.

Umbric's reasons to be in the Alliance - to use power responsibly - could very well come out of a high elf's mouth.

Even their more outlandish uses of their magic, like animating dinosaur remains with the void in 8.1 world quests, have Umbric explaining that it's not mana-efficient, just a scare tactic, and that they need to undo their creations before they become too dangerous. Again, responsible, tactical use of power.

The best (for us) would be to get playable high elves, but this option seems off-limits. So, considering that as true, I think the second best, and most likely, solution would be to integrate high and void elves in some way, and open more customization to void elves.

But really, once it settled to make void elves, Blizzard should have developed void elf lore properly before making them playable. The way they were introduced was really lazy, and they still lack any depth. This makes us unable to really "connect" or feel any sympathy towards them. They are a pretender race that took the spot of something people really wanted. The least Blizzard should have done was some good work with them.
11/03/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Tyrandia
11/03/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Talendrion
Well personally I am still receptive to the idea of a remaining group of High Elves joining the Void Elves as "second generation" ones, thus allowing for more "High Elf" like customization.

It would be far from perfect, but it would be something; it would move the High Elf lore already established and build on top of it + adding more layers to the Void Elves, creating a larger "Thalassian Exiles" super group, and they wouldn't have to add "another elf Allied race"

Like yeah, HE as an allied race would be the best case scenario, but you know.

Also, personally, I think Half Elves could be more interesting overall as a narrative.

But yeah, new Void Elves, that come from the High Elf established lore -such as the Silver Covenant- and at least get to look like High Elves, it's at least something; something I would say "alright."

Nah... to be blunt they just need to leave them separate and just tell us “no”..... no real reason to just put Silver Covenant on the chopping block.

I really don't understand this opinion tbh. Having the High Elven lore be playable someway, and move forward, will ALWAYS be better than me than just keep them as a group of people waiting to die out.

I really care a lot more about High Elves moving forward -regardless of how they do- rather than preserve a "purity" that serves no purpose.

If the choice are No High Elves or the Silver Covenant joins the Void Elves I will always choose the later, even if it's far from perfect, or my personal favorite.
I would like to thank Alex and Patrick for not giving a snarky answer about adding High Elf customization to void elves in their Lost Codex interview. Here's to hoping that they give serious consideration to offering a wider array of skin tones and more high elven eye customization to void elves.
11/03/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Talendrion
Well personally I am still receptive to the idea of a remaining group of High Elves joining the Void Elves as "second generation" ones, thus allowing for more "High Elf" like customization.

It would be far from perfect, but it would be something; it would move the High Elf lore already established and build on top of it + adding more layers to the Void Elves, creating a larger "Thalassian Exiles" super group, and they wouldn't have to add "another elf Allied race"

Like yeah, HE as an allied race would be the best case scenario, but you know.

Also, personally, I think Half Elves could be more interesting overall as a narrative.

But yeah, new Void Elves, that come from the High Elf established lore -such as the Silver Covenant- and at least get to look like High Elves, it's at least something; something I would say "alright."

I would prefer a well-thought-out story about high elves and void elves somehow uniting and forming their own society than the current situation in which we have a barely developed "race"/crack squad hogging the attention without any development while the other side of the coin is completely ignored as if it didn't exist anymore.

As I said in old threads, if the high elves are to remain NPC-only, make a dynamic between them and the void elves akin to the unplayable gilneans and the playable worgen: they work together, make towns together, form a single society. The uncursed ones may not completely trust the other, but reckognize them as kin, while the cursed ones see it as their duty to defend their uncursed companions.

That at least means players, as void elves, can feel a close kinship to the high elves, and the high elf story keeps going on even if they are not playable.

Exactly, I agree with this completely. Personally I would make possible for High SC Elves to become Void Elves to actually give the later a pool to draw from new members, but the important bit is that they unite as a people, not that necessarily every High Elf becomes a Void Elf -just that the crossover becomes a possibility to balance out populations-

Cause if for example, VE can't reproduce safely, they would have to keep recruiting forever.

As it stands now, neither Void Elves nor High Elves kinda have longevity on their own, so uniting is their best choice to actually persist as a society.
I still think the decision to not talk about more allied races for BfA is either one of three things:

1) "We want the stories to develop out before we do that."
2) "None are being planned."
3) "The community is not going to like the new ones."

Which if 3, makes me think Alliance are going to have a fringe allied race (either those 8.2 fish people or Mechagnomes) but have strong racials to counteract the lack of popularity.
11/04/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Bourbonboxer
I still think the decision to not talk about more allied races for BfA is either one of three things:

Which if 3, makes me think Alliance are going to have a fringe allied race (either those 8.2 fish people or Mechagnomes) but have strong racials to counteract the lack of popularity.

3 is the most likely imo. Everyone knows the Vulpera are coming for the Horde, there's more than enough people happy about to where they wouldn't need to hide/justify it. They probably didn't give us confirmation because the Alliance equivalent (probs junker gnomes) would spawn such negativity

Just like Ion said in regards to classes during the q&a, sometimes they must make things blatantly overpowered to change the communities perception of them

It's 1. They want the stories to be told before they announce the next races. If they announced junknomes and vulpera now, people would riot. Instead, they want to release Mechagon first, allow people experience it, "flesh" out junknomes to make them likeable, THEN reveal next allied races.

----------------------------

11/04/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Talendrion
Exactly, I agree with this completely. Personally I would make possible for High SC Elves to become Void Elves to actually give the later a pool to draw from new members, but the important bit is that they unite as a people, not that necessarily every High Elf becomes a Void Elf -just that the crossover becomes a possibility to balance out populations-

Cause if for example, VE can't reproduce safely, they would have to keep recruiting forever.

As it stands now, neither Void Elves nor High Elves kinda have longevity on their own, so uniting is their best choice to actually persist as a society.

I secretly hope that the reason void elves are so underdeveloped is because they'll have an arc over BfA. Maybe we will have that Silvermoon Battlefront indeed, and the Alliance side could be void elves + high elves leading an offensive there. The lead-in questline would be about the two races uniting into a single society, maybe based off Quel'danil (like some old concept I did here: https://imgur.com/gallery/DLZ6eti ). As a result of the questline, new customization options are opened for void elves.
I’m pretty sure that if high elves truly are this desired, blizz is holding out until subs get really bad
11/04/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Mythîc
I’m pretty sure that if high elves truly are this desired, blizz is holding out until subs get really bad

I doubt that's it. More likely Blizzard is holding them back because we're in a faction conflict expansion, and Void Elves are supposed to be the focus for Thalassian Conflict, which makes sense to be honest, they have more reasons to hate the Blood Elves and want to go after them. High Elves being exiled wasn't much of anything, they already had homes and lives within the Alliance. Void Elves being exiled meant being kicked out of Quel'Thalas, their homeland.
Give blood elves the option for blue eyes, end all discussion permanently- problem solved.
Did you guys see any hinting at high elves ? No ? Ok then . Never gonna happen
11/04/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Laurethelas
Give blood elves the option for blue eyes, end all discussion permanently- problem solved.

It isn't about the eye color, so it doesn't solve anything for one. For two, your in the wrong thread for this request, there is already a thread open with this request, you'd find your reply taken better there.

11/04/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Packlo

Did you see anything about Vulpera? No? Are they never gonna happen too?

Even if they gave Blood Elves blue eyes me and many people would still be asking for High Elves.
They can be made different enough beyond just eye color.

11/04/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Packlo

Ty you guys for keeping the thread going.
I don't get that as Blizzard's goal for the void elves at all. They are darker than a normal Alliance race, but they still are a noble race and not insane at all. What's there to be diluted? It's not like void elves are doing anything "insane" at all. So far, they have been all about self-control and not going too far.

The Island expedition group for Void Elves is quite mad.

And when dealing with a corruption story there are two ways to go about it.

The "rise above it" route where the overcome their corruption. Which quite frankly is overdone in Warcraft. Umbric shows this off well. No turmoil. No struggle. Just new powers.

Then the "Fall to it/just roll with it" where you have more chaotic characters. Think more the more Mad Scientist or Competent Nut Jobs archetype. Something quite frankly the Alliance could use more of.

Making Silver Covenant characters into that for a less corrupted version could completely kill these narratives.

Also people are neglecting the fact if they do add Flesh Tones to Void Elves that there could be no Story Element tied to it whatsoever. Leaving them still not being the High Elves that have been with us for years.
11/04/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Drede
The Island expedition group for Void Elves is quite mad.

Island expedition groups are just one-dimensional jokes. Also, they are only really seen by the other faction. It’s not “real lore”. That void elf girl screaming about feeding the void with souls is actually against the void elf ethos.

And when dealing with a corruption story there are two ways to go about it.

The "rise above it" route where the overcome their corruption. Which quite frankly is overdone in Warcraft. Umbric shows this off well. No turmoil. No struggle. Just new powers.

Then the "Fall to it/just roll with it" where you have more chaotic characters. Think more the more Mad Scientist or Competent Nut Jobs archetype. Something quite frankly the Alliance could use more of.

Or you can make the group more interesting and make different approaches to it.

There could be different goals among the void elves.

But instead of making them diverse, Blizzard made them a depthless group with a single NPC dictating their viewpoint.

Making Silver Covenant characters into that for a less corrupted version could completely kill these narratives.

Who cares about void elf non-existant narrative, really?

Also people are neglecting the fact if they do add Flesh Tones to Void Elves that there could be no Story Element tied to it whatsoever. Leaving them still not being the High Elves that have been with us for years.

Even if there could be no story elements behind it, void elves desperately need more lore.

Making some high elves go void would at least add diversity of viewpoints to the void elves. Some may want to go darker, others could stay in the safe zone, and some could be searching ways to purify themselves. Having different factions strengthens the race as a whole.
11/03/2018 11:30 PMPosted by Drede
I'm honestly more bummed about the lack of ANY info on future Allied Races then High Elves not being announced.

I honestly didn't expect anything on them for the time being but I wanted more elaboration on the future so I can taper my request to them.

But we got nothing on ANY of the Allied Race thread.

Just Trash Gnomes as a potential race...

As for the idea that adding High Elf ideas to Void Elves, I'm just going to say that's a bad idea in my opinion.

Void Elves need to stay the Dark, Creepy, Somewhat Insane, race they are developing them to be. I don't want them to end up diluting Void Elves to make High Elf people kinda happy.

Blizzard seems absolutely hell-bent on not giving players the races we've been asking for since forever. They'd rather keep adding new stuff they want to add that have no history in the game.

And frankly speaking, what do you think will happen to the alliance players if this is what they do? I have a hunch they'll either swap factions and finally play blood elves or they'll leave this dumpster fire. There's only so much salt that can be taken on the alliance before they quit being alliance.
It looks like we will be getting 2 Allied Races, 1 for each faction, per major content patch. I think there are actually way more potential ones than they intend to use. This ties in with their comment on the Vulpera thread months ago, something along the lines of: don't think every new race will become an Allied Race.

At this point, I have my doubts that Vulpera and Sethrak are going to be a thing. They were for telling that zone-wide story in Vol'dun and nothing more. 8.1 is clearly going to just be Kul Tirans and Zandalari.

With the addition of the San'layn costume toy, I think that is a clear "not going to happen" on that front. The Dark Rangers will just be the two individuals and only be used for the story.

I also think they hinted at the 8.2 ARs during the Nazjatar section. But the lack of anything about Allied Races with the big reveal of Mechagon makes me think regular Gnomes will just be receiving new customization options and not a full Allied Race.

8.3 is more speculative, but we have some hints of what may happen. The Silvermoon Warfront and the crossing over of the Saberon into Azeroth were never discussed at Blizzcon. So they must be relevant later on.

With that, I think the lineup will go something like this:

8.1 Kul Tiran (A) and Zandalari (H)
8.2 Oncoans* (A) and Gilblins (H) *not sure on spelling, the samurai fish people
8.3 High Elves (A) and Saberon (H) -Horde gets the Worgen skeleton in exchange