The Unofficial High Elf Discussion Megathread

General Discussion
Prev 1 193 194 195 208 Next
11/09/2018 05:06 AMPosted by Aedrid
I think that IF Blizzard adds fleshy tones to Void Elves (which were asked for the minute the first models appeared on WoWhead) then there needs to be a conclusion to the ask for High Elves.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that they would add a High Elven appearance to Void Elves AND add High Elves as a playable race.

They could if they wanted to save an allied race slot/ starting area design and add similiar customization options for other races like highmountain feltotem skins. I guess the alliance would have to clarify which is more important the cosmetics or the lore and starting zone... Which you can always headcannon away.
11/09/2018 05:11 AMPosted by Mowachassa
I hope we can we all agree about 2 things: 1) High Elves should be a completely separate allied race, thats the whole point of the forum. 2) They should use the thalassian elf model, the same one the blood elves and void elves use.

Most people would probably be ok and even appreciate an altered thalassian model, with different idle animations n' whatnot
11/09/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Lorithyn
I hope we can we all agree about 2 things: 1) High Elves should be a completely separate allied race, thats the whole point of the forum. 2) They should use the thalassian elf model, the same one the blood elves and void elves use.

Most people would probably be ok and even appreciate an altered thalassian model, with different idle animations n' whatnot

Probably not, thalassian elf is their best playable race model, most people would agree on that. The numbers speak for theirselves. Blood elves are the most popular race in the game by far and void elves are the most popular allied race.
11/09/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Mowachassa

Probably not, thalassian elf is their best playable race model, most people would agree on that. The numbers speak for theirselves. Blood elves are the most popular race in the game by far and void elves are the most popular allied race.

Yes but minor alterations similar to what the Nightborne have such as their idle stance and tattoos setting them apart from the night elves would be fine imo.
11/09/2018 07:27 AMPosted by Pronyra
11/09/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Mowachassa

Yes but minor alterations similar to what the Nightborne have such as their idle stance and tattoos setting them apart from the night elves would be fine imo.

Still don't get that, why change something wich is already good and fine?

11/05/2018 03:43 PMPosted by Ývaine

When we talk about High Elves (and why they can't be implemented), we aren't talking about the story, are we? Silver Covenant and High Elf story has been in the Alliance since the beginning and nobody batted an eyelash. But sharing the model is what this fight is really about. So what is the deal with the model? Why is it so desired?

The Blood Elf model has a lot of things people are looking for. They look good in armor. They look proud, but graceful. They are thin. They are not overly muscular (comparatively speaking). They have "natural" coloring. They have some very well crafted animations. I know a lot of these are born out of personal opinion - but it does feel that the Blood Elf model is some of Blizzard's best work.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about the thalassian elf model. Ignoring all of that, changing it on high elves, no matter how little, for the sake of make them "different" from the blood elves would certainly be a bad move, most people don't care about lore, roleplaying or if a race look too similar to another, they care if their character looks either pretty or cool, and the animations and models are the core of that.
I can imagine a scenario where all high elves allied with the Alliance decide to band together under a single banner, but then Blizzard would have to think of a way to change the racials depending on which type of high elf we decided to be, 'cause it makes no sense a traditional high elf having void powers/racials.
11/09/2018 08:42 AMPosted by Andrew
I can imagine a scenario where all high elves allied with the Alliance decide to band together under a single banner, but then Blizzard would have to think of a way to change the racials depending on which type of high elf we decided to be, 'cause it makes no sense a traditional high elf having void powers/racials.

I think there were some racial ideas in the OP. Something about extra range for spells and abilities was in there and an increased moving speed. Like pathfinder rangers sort of thing.

then why not jsut have separate races at that point? just have a united quel'dorei that encompasses the silver covenant, those that live in dalaran, those that live in stormwind, the various lodges out in the world, and other established high elf settlements.

The void elves would be their own thing still. people need to stop with the notion of mixing high elves and void elves. Void elves are meant to be their own thing separate from high elves. Don't dilute and ruin their aesthetic trying to compromise for high elves. It will just end up ruining both void elves and high elves.

I don't see it happening that way. It would require to essentially have two races, with different racials and customization for each.

What I do see as a possibility is high/void elves uniting, but in a manner similar to gilneans/worgens, in which both form a single whole but only one is playable.
11/09/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Alamara

I don't see it happening that way. It would require to essentially have two races, with different racials and customization for each.

What I do see as a possibility is high/void elves uniting, but in a manner similar to gilneans/worgens, in which both form a single whole but only one is playable.

So...you still wouldn’t have playable high elves. Not trying to be rude but it seriously seems as if you’re trolling at this point.

You literally want to merge high elves with void elves and not have high elves playable? The merger idea is bad, this is just ridiculous.

If you mean to say that you want high elf customization for void elves then I understand but again, if they accept the void they aren’t a High elf anymore, they become a void elf and you still wouldn’t have playable high elves. At least this is a point that can be argued but not having them in any matter goes against the entire point of this thread and the request in general.

I don't think we can all agree on that, personally I don't agree on either.

My priority is to see the High Elf narrative move forward and to become playable instead of this reocurring NPC group; to move forward and to find a place in Azeroth as itself advances. I want to see what is next for the High Elves in the alliance, and I want to play that fantasy.

If they become an allied race on their own, that's best case scenario, but not the only option for me. They could join the VE, they could be the predecessors of Half Elves. For me there isn't just one answer.

And the model is the lest relevant thing for me: Blizzard might have reasons I don't agree with about maintaining faction identity, I would do just fine with the current BE model. But if they need to differentiate them on a level similar to Nightborne, then sure, I'm for it.

Speaking for myself, the priority is the lore and the story. The gameplay how and the model is secondary to that.
11/09/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Fliktarg

then why not jsut have separate races at that point? just have a united quel'dorei that encompasses the silver covenant, those that live in dalaran, those that live in stormwind, the various lodges out in the world, and other established high elf settlements.

The void elves would be their own thing still. people need to stop with the notion of mixing high elves and void elves. Void elves are meant to be their own thing separate from high elves. Don't dilute and ruin their aesthetic trying to compromise for high elves. It will just end up ruining both void elves and high elves.

I agree 100%. People who enjoy Void Elves likely want them to be more than just, "the compromise race"

That's the biggest issue from a gameplay perspective. Like aesthetic wise you kinda CAN lump High Elves and Void Elves together with enough customization in the same way that DK's and DH's are part of the same race but they look different.

If the lore is there, then I don't think it's a big issue.

But the problem remains that Void Elves have very specific racials, so hpw do you justify it? do you just hand wave it? Like how Draenei DK's can use the "touch of the Naaru" racial?

TBH I think Alamara's idea has merit. Yes, the playable "High Elf" would be a HE that starts using the Void, but still looks more HE, like Alleria. They would have the background and story, they would be Alliance High Elves that followed in Alleria's footsteps.

They would be Void Elves with High Elf Background instead of BE.

As for the rest of the High Elven population, they would also be part of this group of "Thalassian Exiles" but not as "playable" just as the Non-Worgen Gilneans are also part of the Gilnean group.

It still allows the High Elf lore to move forward, as half of this larger elven group, with a segment of them being playable, just not the whole.

And as long as the customization allows, racials are just gameplay mechanics.

And again, of course I wouldn't call this situation nor ideal nor my favorite, but I still see it as a resolution. Because, perhaps as a controversial opinion, I do believe that the High Elven storyline can move forward without them being an Allied Race on their won.

And like at best, we can get to play as those High Elves that decide to take in Void study like Alleria did, with the HE that don't remaining a visible and maybe even relevant part of the larger "Thalassian Exiles" group. I understand some people speak of mantaining the VE fantasy, but the problem is that fantasy itself, is bare bones, and at this point, adding High Elves only adds political complexity rather than taking anything away, cause VE as they are really don't have much more than their "Philosophy" and that's the thing, it works like AN aspect of a race, like elune worship, the Holy church, tidesages, etc do for other races. But as the whole identity of a group I really don't think it's enough.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

So...you still wouldn’t have playable high elves. Not trying to be rude but it seriously seems as if you’re trolling at this point.

You literally want to merge high elves with void elves and not have high elves playable? The merger idea is bad, this is just ridiculous.

If you mean to say that you want high elf customization for void elves then I understand but again, if they accept the void they aren’t a High elf anymore, they become a void elf and you still wouldn’t have playable high elves. At least this is a point that can be argued but not having them in any matter goes against the entire point of this thread and the request in general.

This is not about what I want, I'm looking into what a company like Blizzard is more likely to do.

Playable high elves are possible but very unlikely at this point. Maybe in a far future, and if you are willing to wait however many more years before getting them, more power to you.

Blizzard taking void elves and essentially splitting them into two races so we in the end have high elves? Not likely at all, now or ever. It would be easier to just make them separate races.

What I'm proposing, and it's not a new proposal, I was talking about it back in february, is a mid-term temporary solution that both keeps the high elves relevant in lore and allows further customization for void elves. Not perfect, but possible in the short term, and a way better compromise than void elves turned out to be.

11/09/2018 05:02 PMPosted by Talendrion
And like at best, we can get to play as those High Elves that decide to take in Void study like Alleria did, with the HE that don't remaining a visible and maybe even relevant part of the larger "Thalassian Exiles" group. I understand some people speak of mantaining the VE fantasy, but the problem is that fantasy itself, is bare bones, and at this point, adding High Elves only adds political complexity rather than taking anything away, cause VE as they are really don't have much more than their "Philosophy" and that's the thing, it works like AN aspect of a race, like elune worship, the Holy church, tidesages, etc do for other races. But as the whole identity of a group I really don't think it's enough.

Yes, that.

Void elves and high elves benefit by having them work together. High elves keep being relevant in lore, void elves gain much-needed variation.
11/09/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Fliktarg

But then maybe we will never get High Elves, and personally, I'd rather have something than nothing.

Specially when I don't personally agree that "uniting" both groups would mean ruining them. Not every High Elves needs to become a Void Elf. They just need to work together for the same goal, and sharing so much already, to say that uniting them would ruin them both sounds way too alarmist.

Problem is the fantasies are opposite each other.

One is about control and steadfastness and the other is about diving in and deviating from the standard.

One fights against corruption and one is corrupted.

Also. They might not go as far with making Void Elves look like High Elves as people want.

They would likely still have the purple Hands/Feet and Under Eyes since those are defining characteristics of the race.

They would likely not give them normal Hairstyles and they would still have Glowing Hair and Tentacle Hair.

Maybe they add a Black Hair option but would not likely add Blond/Brown Hair. Every option they add has to look good on normal Void Elves too.

They would still turn purple when their Racial Procs. They would still have the Void Elf Voice Lines. (Including the one about the order of Elf 'Evolution')

In the end it still would not fit the High Elf fantasy. You would be a Void Elf with a slightly better complexion.
11/09/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Drede

One is about control and steadfastness and the other is about diving in and deviating from the standard.

Also. They might not go as far with making Void Elves look like High Elves as people want.

They would likely still have the purple Hands/Feet and Under Eyes since those are defining characteristics of the race.

They would likely not give them normal Hairstyles and they would still have Glowing Hair and Tentacle Hair.

Maybe they add a Black Hair option but would not likely add Blond/Brown Hair. Every option they add has to look good on normal Void Elves too.

They would still turn purple when their Racial Procs. They would still have the Void Elf Voice Lines. (Including the one about the order of Elf 'Evolution')

In the end it still would not fit the High Elf fantasy. You would be a Void Elf with a slightly better complexion.

But if it had High Elf lore behind it I would personally be okay with it. That's my thing.

And to say they fantasies are opposites desestimate all the similarities they share. Several races have highly contrasting groups. Humans have both Paladins and Warlocks, yet they still form part of the same "faction" To say this couldn't be the case for Thalassian Elves at large doesn't ring right.

Of course I am not saying that every High Elf would be into that, maybe the Highvale would not join this collective, but the Silver Covenant specifically with Vereesa and Alleria's relationship? or the Allerian Elves returning to their mistress?

And again, I'm not saying every elf would take in the Void, only that they all chose to work together for a common goal.

And THAT for me is far better than High Elves never been playable on any way or form. And of course, this is only my opinion.
11/09/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Drede

I don't see them as opposites, but different paths that start in the same place. And having divergences mean there's conflict, and conflict is good. It means that one side does not fully trust the other, but they are still kin, like two brothers that care about each other but can't agree on everything.

No, both are about control and careful use of power. But one is afraid to take risks, while the other isn't.

Both fight against corruption, but one avoids temptation while the other fights it.

My point is that, by working together with void elves, high elves would stay relevant. Let there be conflict between these "sister" races. just because they work together doesn't mean there are harmony. Conflict is good for any story.

I'd be happy with two quasi-normal skins (remember my old concept images?) and some corrupted but not that much hair colors: silver-blue (like Alleria void form's), deep red, a light bege ("corrupted blonde").

That would remind everyone that these are not high elves, just "normal-ish" void elves. But it would also make me feel that my character looks somewhat more like what she originally was.